Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Damn headliner!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn headliner!!!

So this morning I go out to my car as usual and throw my gym bag in the back seat and notice some little white dot thing on the floor. Well I didnt think anything of it since I figured it was something that one of my GF's friends dropped in the back and that I will just clean my car this weekend and get rid of it.

Anyways, I'm driving down 95 S and had my front windows open which caused some serious wind through my car so I open the rear windows a little and something caught my eye in my rear view. MY DAMN HEADLINER in the back was flopping down and bending to a point in the center from the wind! WTF!!!

The little dot thing I saw on the floor was the push in grommet or whatever its called thing that holds it to the roof. Has this ever happened to anyone before? If so once fixed with new ones has it happened again?

I know its not that big of a deal and those things cost probably .50 cents each so its not gonna kill me. It just really pisses me off in a new car. This is something I would expect to happen in a 10+ yr old car.

Just needed to vent that out because its #*@#$&ing aggrivating!

good morning to me!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

yeah when i have my sunroof open at high speeds the entire headliner pops down at the rear where the sun roof contracts. happened real bad on my way to sema this year, almost killed myself the whole fricken thing fell down!

damn mitsubishi headliners!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoKnievo
yeah when i have my sunroof open at high speeds the entire headliner pops down at the rear where the sun roof contracts. happened real bad on my way to sema this year, almost killed myself the whole fricken thing fell down!

damn mitsubishi headliners!
That sucks, but your situation is different than mine. I have an MR so I dont have a sunroof in it. I can only guess that the wind circulates around the rear window and heads up at a pretty strong force to cause the fasteners to pop out hence the headliner coming down a little.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i have a mr as well and its never happened to that one (or have i heard of your situation happening to anyone else), i also have another 03 with a sunroof and its never happened. i think its just a mitsubishi quality control thing. kinda like how one of my 03's didnt have a crush washer on the drain plug from the factory.... just quirky mitsu stuff.

nonetheless im glad your ok and wasnt as bad as the sunroof headliner incident i had.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:37 AM
Account Disabled

Get the wind visors for the windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
never had this happen before when going down the highway with the windows down. i think its time i think twice before doing that again.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuboost30
Get the wind visors for the windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought about that when it happened this morning. Does make them or is there another brand that is better?

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
never had this happen before when going down the highway with the windows down. i think its time i think twice before doing that again.
Yeah I dont know when exactly it happened so I couldnt tell you at what speed it occured. Its just frustrating that its something that minor. I havent taken a close lok at it yet because I had to go to work, but I hope I didnt put a crease in it. If so that bish is getting suede
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Yeah I dont know when exactly it happened so I couldnt tell you at what speed it occured. Its just frustrating that its something that minor. I havent taken a close lok at it yet because I had to go to work, but I hope I didnt put a crease in it. If so that bish is getting suede
I think this is a perfect excuse to get it suede, its already coming down just help it along
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs down

As silly as it sounds, if this happens to enough people, Mitsu needs to issue a recall, because a falling headliner could cause a crash, especially if this is happening at highway speeds.

I remember Nissan issued a floormat recall for the SE-R because it would get caught to the accelerator pedal causing it to get stuck on full throttle. A recall for a freakin' floormat.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

I think this is a perfect excuse to get it suede, its already coming down just help it along

Originally Posted by sleeper3
As silly as it sounds, if this happens to enough people, Mitsu needs to issue a recall, because a falling headliner could cause a crash, especially if this is happening at highway speeds.

I remember Nissan issued a floormat recall for the SE-R because it would get caught to the accelerator pedal causing it to get stuck on full throttle. A recall for a freakin' floormat.
Yeah, I agree that it could be a potential saftey hazard. Mine doesnt sound as dangerous as EvoKnievo's situation. I wonder how many people this has happened to. Older evos I understand but an 06 w 21K on it is ridiculous!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoKnievo
yeah i have a mr as well and its never happened to that one (or have i heard of your situation happening to anyone else), i also have another 03 with a sunroof and its never happened. i think its just a mitsubishi quality control thing. kinda like how one of my 03's didnt have a crush washer on the drain plug from the factory.... just quirky mitsu stuff.

nonetheless im glad your ok and wasnt as bad as the sunroof headliner incident i had.
Your probably right, I hope! Thanks for the concern!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I have an '03 with the sunroof and have the same problem. I think I might get some 3M adhesive to fix it for this summer.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well I didnt think anything of it since I figured it was something that one of my GF's friends dropped in the back and that I will just clean my car this weekend

damn son you gf's you got more then one
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

haha
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrboostt05
Well I didnt think anything of it since I figured it was something that one of my GF's friends dropped in the back and that I will just clean my car this weekend

damn son you gf's you got more then one
I plead the 5th

Quick Reply: Damn headliner!!!