Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo + Smog = Oh crap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo + Smog = Oh crap

Aight.

I have to get my evo's registration completed. They won't give me the title and complete my registration until I get smogged, so I'm currently looking to do that. But there's a few problems...

I have an up/down pipe, test pipe, no cats, evo IX turbo (in my viii), o2 housing, 272i/272e cams, 720cc injectors, ecu reflash, SAFCII, boost controller, etc.

Basically, there's no way in hell I'll pass, so I need some secret/passable location inside info. I'm a newer poster so I bet some people will freak and not want to help me but just talk to me plzzzzzz I'm pretty much doomed because there is no way I can go back to stock.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think there is anything you could do with no test pipe and the ecu flashed for running with those mods. Maybe someone can let you in on something but your pretty much out of luck in my opinion. I have my evo still registered in my old county because they dont require emissions testing. No way I would pass. Maybe throw a stock cat on it and see where that gets you..
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I passed CA smog with the mods in my sig. I think the key is properly sized injectors and cam gears so you can seperate the lobes and smooth the idle.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:30 PM

I know people know places/people that will just pass me regardless. That's what I'm aiming for. Before I get a stupid ref ticket or some crap. I'm looking for a silencer in the near future to not get pulled over in the first place as well.

Interesting though cpoevo, yours has a ton of the same mods as mine... I have the cat I could just put back on. Put alcohol in the tank? Heck if I know...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Well I cant help you with a hook up but maybe this will give ideas or ease your worries.

Option 1
Does the CA emissions still use the sniffer? Here in Illinois they just hook you to the OBD2 and thats all. So as long as your not throwing any emissions codes you are ok. (spark plug non fowler trick)

Option 2
If CA does use the sniffer test, then try and find a stock catalytic you can temporarily borrow or just purchase. If your exhaust system allows you to bolt it on then do a quick swap before going to get tested. If your exhaust system doesnt allow for a cat to bolt on, then you have to search for a nice peice to get welded on.

Hope this sort of helped.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:40 PM

I have a stock cat, but I don't know if that bolts on. I have the TurboXS catback made into a full turboback system, so I'm assuming it should be able to bolt. I don't know if my other mods will jack it up though
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

just go back to stock cat and take out the safc and get a conservative "tune" to scale the injectors down some more
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smog sounds SCARY.

but good luck on whatever you decide to do...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Quesadilla
I have a stock cat, but I don't know if that bolts on. I have the TurboXS catback made into a full turboback system, so I'm assuming it should be able to bolt. I don't know if my other mods will jack it up though
Well since you have the stock cat, take a look underneith and see if your test pipe uses a 2 bolt flange. If it does and the lenghts are about the same then your good to go.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

I took all the smog classes in school so I'm pretty familiar with all the tricks to get by smog as well. What a lot of people do in my area is to enter the vin # of the car they want to smog and then use another car for the actual smog test that would have similar emission ratings. You find one of those people who will smog it no matter what and this is usually how they do it. My friend is a smog tech that owns a Prelude with a turboed H23 conversion and whenever he needs to smog it he uses his moms Accord. Works everytime. Good luck.

Last edited by EVOSE06; Feb 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's funny, but all that time turning the car into a racecar, and now you want it to pass smog. california smog at that. LOL. my best advice is convert it back to stock, cause i can't condone illegal smogs. it's your call though. (although, all you have to do is go to a tuner shop and ask around. i'm sure someone will know where to get a hot smog done.) really, if you put the stock exhaust, (assuming you still have it), and go to a hole in the wall shop, they may pass you visually if all the smog parts are there. then you would have to pass the sniffer test. even if you were running really rich, a new cat will pretty much clean up anything.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
so I'm going to have to agree with heavens turbo about asking for ways to illegally pass smog

thread = closed