Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wrong oil filter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong oil filter

I searched and did not come up with a answer to my question. Just realized that on my invoice from the dealership they have the mz***72 filter and not the evo mz***16. Sorry cant remember all the numbers. Im guessing the mz72 one is for the lancer. Im guessing that they installed the lancer filter, instead of the evo filter. Will my evo be fine or should I change it immediately?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure (and someone correct me if I am wrong) the only difference in the two is that one is a little bit longer than the other. I'm pretty sure you are fine
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Evo filter # is MZ690116. I use MZ690072 for my GST so I would imagine you would be fine. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:40 PM
Account Disabled

theres only 2 different filters mitsu uses....a short fat one and a longer skinny one.....and actually either one of them will work just fine...
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:45 PM

thanks for the quick response. i just wanted to make sure that the evo was fine. Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

as long as it fits and seats fine...it'll work like any ol filter would
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, to be safe, i, personally, would change the filter because different filters can lead to diffrent oil pressures. otherwise, everyone would just use the same filters!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, I was in the same boat when I performed my first oil change for my evo. I went into mitsu to specifically request the oil filter MZXXXX72 and then the parts manager asked me what kind of car was it for and I told him, he then proceeded to the side of the cabinet and handed me the MZ****16 one. I asked him about it and he said a lot of people have been asking for the MZ***72 for the evo and he asked why. I told him that some people have been posting on the forums about bigger oil filters for better overall cooling etc. I dont remember exactly what bigger oil filters are a plus for but coming from the honda family I used to remember posts after posts about using oversized filters or bigger ones for the s2000 and prelude.
the parts manager said it was fine to use both but he was just curious. I personally just stick to the MZ****16 mainly because of the difference in oil pressure I presume, or I would have switched over to purlator pure one oil filters already. Luckily mitsu does not jack up their oil filter prices like honda does.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heavens turbo
well, to be safe, i, personally, would change the filter because different filters can lead to diffrent oil pressures. otherwise, everyone would just use the same filters!
Well I always thought the pressure would be the same in all directions regaurdless of filter media but only flow would be affected. I am agreeing with the above poster on the length is different. I have seen a couple posts of the longer filter being damaged due to debri alot easier. I run the short Mobil 1 filter or short OEM.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redline-Z
Well I always thought the pressure would be the same in all directions regaurdless of filter media but only flow would be affected. I am agreeing with the above poster on the length is different. I have seen a couple posts of the longer filter being damaged due to debri alot easier. I run the short Mobil 1 filter or short OEM.
I run the short OEM one as well. As a matter of fact, there is one sitting on my table right now.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Once the filter fills up with oil, there will be no loss in oil pressure, oil pressure is not maintained nor controlled by an oil filter.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redline-Z
his statement is true.
I remember Honda changed their oil filters to increase oil pressure on all cars, which happen to make the filters smaller too.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Wix PN 51356
NAPA Gold PN 1356

Increased oil capacity. No road clearance issues. Very good quality
Old Mar 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have a pressure guage in my car. I don't see any difference between various filter I used so far. I use purolator now. cheap and they work the same as long as you change it often.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I hate service departments. This is why I do all my own work that I can.

Quick Reply: Wrong oil filter