Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking for Quieter Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gett the magnaflow from BR...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FloopyDisk
Yesterday I got pulled for my tint being too dark, then I got one for my loud exhaust (Buschur TBE w/ Race Muffler), and for no front license plate. Ironically enough, I had driven through a horde of cops who at the time were trying to catch a wanted fellon in my neighborhood and one of them, got back in their car and decided to pull me over because of this. Which brings me to my topic, now mind you I have already did a search for "quiet exhaust" and I do apologize for a repost. I would like to know what you all would do? I noticed some post saying fight it, because the officer did nothing to prove that my exhaust was "illegal". He pulled me over at like slightly over 2K rpm, which is pretty quiet. Or would you find a quieter exhaust system, if so, any suggestions?

Dont change your exhaust because of stupid cops

Since you got one of the loudest exhausts for an evo, id go find there police station at 2 am in the morning and 2 step right in front of it and peel out and haul *** and show those no good cops what loud is!

Seriously.. cops don't do a darn thing for our community and all they want to do is make money and abuse their authority. And if you saw a thread that was made last night where cops are confiscating svt cobras and 350z's and other race cars in NC and going undercover to catch street racers and people of that sort really shows how terrible cops are! They need go stop rapists and serial killers, not people with fast cars
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SiNiStEr_EvO
Dont change your exhaust because of stupid cops

Since you got one of the loudest exhausts for an evo, id go find there police station at 2 am in the morning and 2 step right in front of it and peel out and haul *** and show those no good cops what loud is!

Seriously.. cops don't do a darn thing for our community and all they want to do is make money and abuse their authority. And if you saw a thread that was made last night where cops are confiscating svt cobras and 350z's and other race cars in NC and going undercover to catch street racers and people of that sort really shows how terrible cops are! They need go stop rapists and serial killers, not people with fast cars
Going to have to agree with you here. Remember, this cop pulled me over while in the mist of searching for a WANTED FELLON in my neighborhood. Mind you, there were a lot of cop cars, rougly 5 or 6 I saw...but seriously...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to VA.

You won't be able to fight it. The statute on this is vague in that you can't modify the exhaust beyond an OEM equivalent exhaust (not the exact words, I'm paraphrasing).

On my Eclipse I've solved this by getting twin tips welded onto my exhaust to replace the coffee can I had. This is eliminiated ALL my exhaust tickets! On numerous occassions I've had a cop sitting right behind me at a light and they've not done anything, whereas before with the 5" tip I had virtually a 100% ticket rate in this scenario. I'm quite happy with it, and the cross-sectional area from the two tips is larger a 3" pipe so they're sufficient (of course I'm discounting potential flow impedance from the split from a single 3" pipe to two 2.5" tips").

My experience tells you what you already are guessing, that the cops here in VA are profiling based on the look of the exhaust, because my exhaust sure as hell is still loud as ****. This raises a problem for the EVO, since the EVO's stock exhaust already fits the profile of a round coffee can aftermarket exhaust! Hell I've been pulled over by an *** clown who insisted for five minutes my stock evo exhaust was aftermarket!! Until I told the moron to look underneath at the mitsu stamp on the exhaust can did he drop it.

You could consider getting a small twin-tip setup for the exhaust though I don't think the bumper really accomodates it. At least it'll fool the 99% of cops into ignoring you, despite it actually being obviously modified from stock to all of us EVO owners. Of course it will look like crap heh.

You could also try adding resonators to the exhaust to quiet it down. I doubt this will do much because like I said my experience is they profile based on look much more than sound. It will cover those rare cases when you're cruising by a cop slowly, though I usually just push in the clutch and idle by to avoid suspicion which has worked in 99% of my situations. I've added a resonator recently to my eclipse, a 18" long 4" diameter magnaflow, which barely quieted the car at idle and cruising, though now at around 2700 rpm the resonance is WAY down and I can have a relatively normal conversation (unfortunately I tend to cruise at around 3300 rpm hehe where it's still quite loud). The EVO's exhaust is different and it's hard to say exactly the effects of a resonator on yours might be, since placement, design, shapes, etc., all play a factor in the resonance reduction.

Last edited by TSiAWD666; Feb 29, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

The WORKS Cat-Back is very quiet at idle and low rpm's, and very deep and smooth when you get on it.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Fujtsubo RM01A, it's very quiet.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:03 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to a muffler shop, and get an additional resonator welded on as a cheap fix. But if you want a new exhaust, Fujitsubo Legalis-R, Apexi World Sport Noir, or Greddy SP...all good, quiet exhausts. Apexi would probably be my next once I'm tire on my Espelir. Cobb is nice, but I hear alot of fitment issues.

I would fight the ticket by telling the court you've fixed it, and try to get away with not paying the fine.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
RRE makes a stealth 3" exhaust that's very quiet.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
gett the magnaflow from BR...
The magnalfow muffler from Buschur is not to bad at all......I have 3" with tp and its very tame during normal driving, but does get quite mean at wot

You could go with a rear magnaflow muffler with a bullet in the "cat" section which would result in a very quiet system I would think and little to no power loss.

Since you have the rear section with the bullet already it would save you some money overall.......
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
And also has lower hp and much much less downforce!
I have to give in eventually and get a nice TBE and the usual MBC and flash.

Like the OP I'd like to find something low key.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Id fight it, but if you are really wanting to get a new exhaust, id go for the cobb. I hear it is about the quietest out there, and it looks stock too, so no more "rice-boy" profiling from the po-po's...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

For a pretty long time I was running my car with a stock catback, 3" downpipe and 3" testpipe... The gains from a catback arent huge and I'm a big fan of keeping things quiet.

With your mods you wont notice more than a 5-10whp loss putting a stock catback on.

Cheers!
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

I love it when this question comes up and EVERY response has a different setup.
I have a Espelier DP, resonated test pipe and a Blitz nur spec cat back. I would suggest NOT going with my setup. It's LOUD. But damn it sounds good.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

COBB ALL THE WAY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBkh4LDocA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeRfZCG53-A
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku
Tanabe Medallion Touring.
+1 Heard great things about this exhaust and it being really quiet, plan on getting it soon.