Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking for Quieter Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FloopyDisk
RM-01A idle : 70db, 4000rpm: 94DB.
This is just the catback, i believe. I can't really read the site too well.

Link: http://www.fujitsubousa.com/

If anyone can see it better, please post it up.
The Cobb cat back will fit. The thing is you will have to weld a flange on the other side of the hi-flow cat or get a cobb test pipe or bolt the stock cat back on. Either of these options works. I have also sent you an email regarding your race muffler

Last edited by frenchy99; Mar 4, 2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

I had a 3" megan cat-back exhaust but I put my stock cat-back on again, because living in Northern VA, I felt like I was watching my back too much instead of enjoying driving. I live in Fairfax so when it comes to cops.... I'll just say they are the MOST strict I have ever seen. Even for VA. By puttin the stock catback on, there's a little loss in power that my butt-dyno can detect but overall, not too much. Funny, but I can drive faster now because my exhaust doesn't alert all cops within a 1/2 mile. I'm willing to sacrifice 5-10hp for a quiet exhaust. THose of you who are suggesting all these different aftermarket exhausts must have forgotten what a stock exhaust sounds like. I can hardly tell if my car is on or off in the city where there is alot of background noise. When I had my Megan, I could hear my car running on the turbo timer from inside the house.

Last edited by E\/0IXG$R; Mar 4, 2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by frenchy99
The Cobb cat back will fit. The thing is you will have to weld a flange on the other side of the hi-flow cat or get a cobb test pipe or bolt the stock cat back on. Either of these options works. I have also sent you an email regarding your race muffler
PM Sent back, I was thinking about welding a flange, but i'm unsure if their dp/cat has a different length.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E\/0IXG$R
I had a 3" megan cat-back exhaust but I put my stock cat-back on again, because living in Northern VA, I felt like I was watching my back too much instead of enjoying driving. I live in Fairfax so when it comes to cops.... I'll just say they are the MOST strict I have ever seen. Even for VA. By puttin the stock catback on, there's a little loss in power that my butt-dyno can detect but overall, not too much. Funny, but I can drive faster now because my exhaust doesn't alert all cops within a 1/2 mile. I'm willing to sacrifice 5-10hp for a quiet exhaust. THose of you who are suggesting all these different aftermarket exhausts must have forgotten what a stock exhaust sounds like. I can hardly tell if my car is on or off in the city where there is alot of background noise. When I had my Megan, I could hear my car running on the turbo timer from inside the house.
I'm ordering the Megan catback and test pipe in a few weeks. Did you have just a catback with stock cat or the resonated test pipe as well?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the BR w/ Magnaflow and HFC and it is quiet under 3K rpm, when you boost it has a very nice sound to it. I am very happy having the best of both worlds. Performance, sound and weight.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:17 AM

just like "REDLINE-Z" said i got the BR w/magnaflow but not cat.at low rpms is quiet but if im on it on the highway the noise level gets higher.besides it purrs when at idle if you got cams
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

+1 For Fujitsubo RM01A. Not only is it made by the oldest and most respected exhaust maker in Japan, but it's one of the only single piece cat-backs on the market. It doesn't stick out and doesn't have that obnoxious JDM slant. For the ultimate in stealth paint the can flat black
Old Mar 4, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burklow
I'm ordering the Megan catback and test pipe in a few weeks. Did you have just a catback with stock cat or the resonated test pipe as well?
I had the full 3 inch setup except the cat which was stock. Made great power but was loud and drones at highway speeds. If you don't care about the noise and the attention from cops, go for it.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I've watched alot of youtube videos on these and cobb, tanabe, and fujitsubo are the quietest
Tanabe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW_Vu_1StDc
Cobb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBkh4LDocA
Fujitsubo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSbWf3cI700
Custom Exhaust by fusionchicken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJnxcq6pps
Old Mar 4, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Tanabe Medallion with the Perrin HFC and it's very quiet under normal driving. There are several reviews posted on the Tanabe with lots of info.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Article: http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/medaliontouring.asp

The Tanabe Medalion Touring is under 93DBS. However, there is no idle dbs here.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Which one do you like better? The Tanabe medallion touring or the Greddy EVO2?
I'd get the fuji is expensive so thats out of the question

Although I have the greddy evo2 (not installed yet)

I really wanted the tanabe touring. I think the evo2 muffler looks ugly ... and tanabe is quality for sure. I also think the tanabe will sound better ... oh, and the tip on the tanabe looks great.

either way, cant go wrong with either. i bought the evo2 because i found one used for a decent price.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:23 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fight it, then get a Fujitsubo RM01A (or legalis R)
Old Mar 4, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

I heard the Greddy sp2 is quiet. Dont get any HKS exhausts. they are pretty loud.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman
The magnalfow muffler from Buschur is not to bad at all......I have 3" with tp and its very tame during normal driving, but does get quite mean at wot

You could go with a rear magnaflow muffler with a bullet in the "cat" section which would result in a very quiet system I would think and little to no power loss.

Since you have the rear section with the bullet already it would save you some money overall.......
I got a magnaflow sitting in a box at my friend's shop.
Can't wait to slap that sucker on.
He's got a bullet muffler and told me that the magnaflow is slightly quiter (than the Bullet) at street operating speeds.

Last edited by D-evo9911; Mar 4, 2008 at 08:03 PM.