Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking for Quieter Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love these comments:

" I have a full 3inch TBE and it sounds like stock"

You my friend need a hearing aid, and turn your head phones down.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSM GSR04
I love these comments:

" I have a full 3inch TBE and it sounds like stock"

You my friend need a hearing aid, and turn your head phones down.

After I install my exhaust, I'll have a friend of mine drive my car and pass me at normal speed and WOT so I know what it'll sound like to everyone else on the road. Sometimes it is just hard to tell from the cabin with the windows up.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

OP---

I'm stepping into this conversation late...but..my experience with the full CObb TBE with test pipe has me convinced it is ONE of the most quiet set-ups out there....at idle and cruise it is similar to stock...a little more baritone...but no drone etc at highway speeds or normal city driving....only at WOT will it really kick in that desired sound. I live in an area where the town is small and the cops are plenty....I haven't even had a look-see in my direction while I've been driving! No added attention whatsoever.

good luck
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

I have a megan turbo back its quiter than most. Here is a vid of me at the track

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MTdTw6lC9K4
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:22 AM

I have the Buschur Magnaflow, which came stock with my car, got pulled over just yesterday by the cops...first time ever...I guess they were bored. But as soon as I told them the car came like this stock from the factory and pointed out the badging to reflect it is a special edition, they gave me my lic&reg. back and said nice car....
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^ LOL Nice 1!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you want to quiet your exhaust a bit try heat wrapping the down pipe all the way back to the cat back. Then add the megan "test pipe" which is more of a resinator than anything (most think it is a high flow cat). This really tones down the sound and you can keep your current exhaust. Also the heat wrap helps keep the heat away from the oil pan which is always a plus.

If you are concerned with bad weather, don't be. The exhaust is too hot to allow any moisture to stay for very long. I have had mine this way since 2003 and have no rust problems at all.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In court youd probably get that one dropped. For the time being put your silencer back in. You can always take it out