Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The gravel grind of death! :(

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
/sell car
Old Mar 8, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by thejeebus2002
I had the same issue with my 06 IX. Only car I've ever had that made that noise. I chalked it up to the thin crummy body panels they used on the car. The tires are flinging that crap into the wheelwells and it just sounds awful.
Exactly, is it because of the otherwise crappy body panels? This is the first car that I've had that has EVER shown that kind of road noise. EVERYTHING else about my car is quiet EXCEPT when traveling over loose road dirt that sounds like the under panels are just being SANDBLASTED... it is such a crappy feeling.

Worst post ever? I'm seeking feed back from anyone who has had this issue and possibly thought of ever fixing it before it become possibly worse.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by lancerMRguy
if you go above 100mph you dont hear the gravel anymore
LMAO!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

dude your driving over dirt and your tires are sticky they are gonna pick up the dirt and fling it. If you dont like the noise stop driving on the dirt.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
you should try and take dips and pot holes in the road at an angle. you won't scrape as much
Dips/Pot holes aren't the problem I was talking about, however I do the same to avoid them. It is some drive ways(of which I take most if not all at an angle) that are near impossible to avoid scrape on the exit. The entrance is fine, but the exit psh.. forget it, it is even to late to try at some points.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phat_bastage
VTA Bov and open down pipe, that ought to take care of the noise.

As for the front bumper, just remove it.

If that does not work, just keep it untuned. By doing this you will be forced to focus on the car dying and over boosting instead of the scrapes and noises.
I'm telling myself right now: "DO IT!!!"
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorikun
Exactly, is it because of the otherwise crappy body panels? This is the first car that I've had that has EVER shown that kind of road noise. EVERYTHING else about my car is quiet EXCEPT when traveling over loose road dirt that sounds like the under panels are just being SANDBLASTED... it is such a crappy feeling.

Worst post ever? I'm seeking feed back from anyone who has had this issue and possibly thought of ever fixing it before it become possibly worse.
Are you ****ing kidding?

Jesus Christ. When you drive over loose gravel, your tires kick up that gravel into your wheel wells, under the body, etc. The Evo is designed as a performance car with few compromises, so there isn't much in the way of sound deadening. That means your hear things you won't hear in other cars.

Maybe it's time to sell the Evo and get a 3-series?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

LOL, seriously if you want to get rid of 50% of that noise do what I did. Buy 4 cans of rubberized undercoating by 3M. Go to the self serve car wash and blast away any loose crap ect.. in the wheel wells, don't get freaking crazy and blast off the factory undercoating though, just a good cleaning.

Remove the wheels and apply the undercoating it light coats in the wheel well area being sure to coat everything even. Don't spray the hell out of it just follow the directions and apply enough coats to use up a whole can per wheel. It took me a few days between coats but it helps alot. You can even go ahead and do the underside of the car from the drivers seat back to the trunk paying close attention to the floor areas where your feet rest and under the trunk area. I did a light coat to the inside of the trunk area as the smell of the undercoating go's away after awile and hardens like plastic. Just be sure to re-install the trunk interior AFTER the stuff has dried for a week.

This will add about 5LBs to your cars weight though Hope this helps

Last edited by rodman; Mar 8, 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 07:35 PM

"if you go above 100mph you dont hear the gravel anymore" Did you try this yet??
Old Mar 8, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BHB-MR.EVO
"if you go above 100mph you dont hear the gravel anymore" Did you try this yet??
Just after that you would hit a tree or something, lol. Not a recomended fix , IMO
Old Mar 8, 2008, 08:50 PM

Is it just me or don't most people with Evo's go LOOKING FOR loose gravel and dirt to actually enjoy their cars???
Old Mar 8, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Whats with all of the haters telling him to sell the car? I wouldn't want gravel pelting my fenders and rear quarters either, don't flame him for asking about issues he was conserned with.

To give you a idea to maybe solve some of your problems, have you ever thought about Mudflaps, it looks very "rally". I only sport them during the winter.

Old Mar 9, 2008, 01:42 PM

A little dirt/sand won't harm your car a bit, don't worry about it. Get a skid plate and some mudflaps if you go off road often.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya it happens to everybody that drives over gravel. What i do is just pick up some speed and it doesnt sound like like someone throwing a rock at your car. Mudflaps would help<best thing you can do
Old Mar 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
you should try and take dips and pot holes in the road at an angle. you won't scrape as much
+1

I scrape my undertray on my driveway occasionally. I just go over it VERY slowly. I'll either take it completely off or replace it with that aftermarket one with the hole in it for the front jackpoint.