Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The gravel grind of death! :(

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burklow
+1

I scrape my undertray on my driveway occasionally. I just go over it VERY slowly. I'll either take it completely off or replace it with that aftermarket one with the hole in it for the front jackpoint.
Where is that aftermarket one? You're not talking about the metal one are you?
Link please!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodman
LOL, seriously if you want to get rid of 50% of that noise do what I did. Buy 4 cans of rubberized undercoating by 3M. Go to the self serve car wash and blast away any loose crap ect.. in the wheel wells, don't get freaking crazy and blast off the factory undercoating though, just a good cleaning.

Remove the wheels and apply the undercoating it light coats in the wheel well area being sure to coat everything even. Don't spray the hell out of it just follow the directions and apply enough coats to use up a whole can per wheel. It took me a few days between coats but it helps alot. You can even go ahead and do the underside of the car from the drivers seat back to the trunk paying close attention to the floor areas where your feet rest and under the trunk area. I did a light coat to the inside of the trunk area as the smell of the undercoating go's away after awile and hardens like plastic. Just be sure to re-install the trunk interior AFTER the stuff has dried for a week.

This will add about 5LBs to your cars weight though Hope this helps
Okay, so what you are saying is to apply this to the plastic wheel well pieces? My main concern on this is if it was going to be a future rust issue or anything like that. In the case of what most people are saying or trying to say, is that it is not an issue to worry about in terms of rust etc its more of an issue of just noise? I'm just so freakin worried that at some point when people go to rebuild or paint the chassis there's gonna be this big rust issue from just road dirt. Just trying to bring this to the table in case it is a future issue, it not then good, at least most people will know.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just turn up your radio and you won't hear the gravel hitting your car.