Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I want your opinions..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Are you certain that you are getting the full amount? Many settlements are structured over a long term.

2. As many have suggested you REALLY need to save most of this. Definitely spend some of it, but save most.

3. Find a "flat rate" financial counselor. They will help you determine how much to spend, and where to invest the rest.

4. If you have medical bills, DO NOT PAY THE FULL AMMOUNT!! AND do not tell them you are about to get a large settlement. How much you settle for is none of their business. Call them and tell them you want to negotiate your bill. Almost every healthcare practice bills much more than what they would be happy with. They will work with you if they are afraid of not getting anything.

One strategy would be to only spend the money you saved in negotiation... For example, If you get them to settle for 15K on a 25K bill, you now can spend the 10K on whatever you want and invest the entire 60K. This also forces you to have more respect for the money, because you earned it through negotiation.

Last edited by binarysleep; Mar 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the replys guys. Keep them coming.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by binarysleep
1. Are you certain that you are getting the full amount? Many settlements are structured over a long term.

2. As many have suggested you REALLY need to save most of this. Definitely spend some of it, but save most.

3. Find a "flat rate" financial counselor. They will help you determine how much to spend, and where to invest the rest.

4. If you have medical bills, DO NOT PAY THE FULL AMMOUNT!! AND do not tell them you are about to get a large settlement. How much you settle for is none of their business. Call them and tell them you want to negotiate your bill. Almost every healthcare practice bills much more than what they would be happy with. They will work with you if they are afraid of not getting anything.

One strategy would be to only spend the money you saved in negotiation... For example, If you get them to settle for 15K on a 25K bill, you now can spend the 10K on whatever you want and invest the entire 60K. This also forces you to have more respect for the money, because you earned it through negotiation.

Not knocking any of the responses thus far, but this is a smart member right here. There is a lot more to a settlement than just being handed a check.

My stepmother (NYPD) smashed her wrists to pieces when she went through the windshield of her squad car 10 years ago. She was sideswiped by a guy causing a diversion for a bank robbery. She got I think $50k in the settlement because her hands were recovering great. Now 10 years later she can't move her left hand and her right hand hurts 95% of the time. I don't know how bad your injury was, but consider future financial needs from the injury too.

My best advice would be to buy something like a nice 2g eclipse for $10k and invest the other $50k. By the time you are ready to buy a house you will have a mortgage payment smaller than a car payment. If someone can maintain a mortgage with you (mom and dad) for a couple of years then buying a house would probably get you the best return right now. Prices are in the cellar.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

~Tom
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:09 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by binarysleep

I am not even sure if the OP really is in college or just talking out of his as*

If you're a smart person you'll take "binarysleep" advices other wise just pissed it away on a Evo 9 then mod it then selling for 1/2 of what you got it for

Last edited by redteam22003; Mar 8, 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy an evo 20k, don't spend no more. 20k on a house down payment, save it if your sticking to college. The rest put it on a frozen savings for 10yrs. youll never know what you'll need in ten years. Or just buy a 10k car instead of the Evo. I love Evos I have one, but just think smart.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redteam22003
I am not even sure if the OP really is in college or just talking out of his as*

If you're a smart person you'll take "binarysleep" advices other wise just pissed it away some an Evo 9 then mod it then selling for 1/2 of what you got it for
Your ignorant as ****. I'm not someone to just SAY im in college. You truley are an idiot.

OTHERWISE.

Its not a structured, i am getting a check, and for those of you to wondering the injuries, i had neck surgrey, and about to have back, but thats all covered by my insurance.

But back on topic, I just want your opinions to get an evo or not.

THANKS.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:00 PM

I'd say "NOT", if you want a cut and dry answer. And referencing my previous post, I didn't realize you already had a 98 GSX. So, yeah, I'd just make that reliable/fun and enjoy that. Then you will REALLY enjoy your invested money later in life. Just my $.02.

Are you sure that any future surgery, say 10 years down the road, will be covered as well? As long as that is documented, then your good to go.

Good luck man, you have my best wishes.

~Tom
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tdz16
I'd say "NOT", if you want a cut and dry answer. And referencing my previous post, I didn't realize you already had a 98 GSX. So, yeah, I'd just make that reliable/fun and enjoy that. Then you will REALLY enjoy your invested money later in life. Just my $.02.

Are you sure that any future surgery, say 10 years down the road, will be covered as well? As long as that is documented, then your good to go.

Good luck man, you have my best wishes.

~Tom
Thanks for your opinoin. Deff considering just makin mine a monster, but theres somthing about an evo i cant get enough of..
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Alright I'm going to try to keep this short. Buy an evo if you know you want it and are going to keep it for a while. I bought mine and I love it but I would leave it stock if you dont want spend a lot of money because I started modding and can't stop. Btw I'm 18 and I put a lot of money into savings for things later down the road, like a house and other cars etc. and I recommend you do the same with whatever you dont spend on the car.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gixxer6
Alright I'm going to try to keep this short. Buy an evo if you know you want it and are going to keep it for a while. I bought mine and I love it but I would leave it stock if you dont want spend a lot of money because I started modding and can't stop. Btw I'm 18 and I put a lot of money into savings for things later down the road, like a house and other cars etc. and I recommend you do the same with whatever you dont spend on the car.
dude good call...

i think we've established that buying a evo if you want one wouldn't be a bad idea... invest more than half of that money though after the evo would be a very very very good idea
Old Mar 8, 2008, 09:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by importjake00
Your ignorant as ****. I'm not someone to just SAY im in college. You truley are an idiot.

OTHERWISE.

Its not a structured, i am getting a check, and for those of you to wondering the injuries, i had neck surgrey, and about to have back, but thats all covered by my insurance.

But back on topic, I just want your opinions to get an evo or not.

THANKS.
wow, name calling....more and more most likely not in college or just started

Look, whos the bigger idiot...someone thats gonna **** away money on a car that you arent gonna keep past the 5 year mark or someone thats gonna used money to make money

Last edited by redteam22003; Mar 8, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got my first evo at 18 now 21 and loving it ever since
Old Mar 8, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

i personally would invest all of the money untill you graduate college.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very good advice!!!!!!!!!!!!
i agree 100%
even a CD will pay about $1,000/year.
thats enough to pay for mods on a car every year easy!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ch53avitech
Just put the 60K in a savings account and watch it grow.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by importjake00
I will soon be getting a settlement for 60+ thousand dollars. Thats after all medical bills. I am lookin into getting a evo IX. I currently am a full time student in college, and my schooling is all paid for so i dont need to worry about that. I really dont have any other bills besides Cell phone and little things like that, due to still living with parents while im going to school. And im thinking of spending right around 25k or a little for the evo, and im just wondering in your guys opinion.. would it be a bad idea to just drop 25k for a car at only 18 almost 19 years old. I really dont have anything else to spend it on, and its not like im going to spend it all. My dad thinks i should wait, but i have waited 2 years, and the waits killing me! Let me know what you young evo drivers think, or evo drivers period...

Sorry for the long post, just confused.

Mods dont move to newbie section please.
buy the evo and then invest the rest coz ur gonna need it coz evo coz alot to have specially if you want it to go faster

Quick Reply: I want your opinions..