Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2.3 and 20g "green" 1st dyno

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that cam timing and ignition timing are different. I am a beginner at tuning (obviously) so I watched him do stuff and I read. I figured that you could adjust timing (ignition) with the EMS. He may have but I didnt know what I was looking at. I never said this guy was a bad a$$ tuner I just posted this stuff up for feedback. I am looking at the fuel graph and the ignition graph right now, the fuel looks kinda funky.. not very smooth but like I said I am new so what do I know..
Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Dyno Dynamics read low this would be 420whp on a dynojet easy.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by evozakk
I had my first dyno tune today. I was suppose to have the methanol kit hooked up but I couldn't complete the install before hand so the dyno was without..

I had a very cool time and everyone was great. I had it done at Static X Motorsports in AL. We ran into snags here and there but it all worked out. The shop owner was a little high strung probably from stress. We had a problem with the engine load and throttle position moving relative to one another but we just had to recalibrate some settings. But the shop owner decided he was going to order an ems because he thought mine was a possible knock off . No worries we got it up and running. The next issue was he wanted a base map for my mods to speed things up. The tuner already had most the start up stuff done and ready to start. I had to call David Buschur to see about getting a base map but since I didnt purchase the EMS from then they couldn't give it out even with purchasing it. The shop owner ended up buying an EMS and getting the base map emailed and we used that. THANKS DAVID FOR EMAILING THE MAP . Of course I got crap for them buyin an EMS but I didnt tell him to do that so..

Everything went smooth and I am really happy with the experience. We ended up with 394.6whp and about 375-380wtq. Then he gave a 10% safety buffer and it is currently 381whp.. I have the hp and tq graph that I will post shortly as well as a couple of pics.

He told me that he couldnt do much with timing since my cam gears weren't adjustable. He expects a lot more with that and meth. He also said that the dyno reads about 15 to 17% lower than some different dyno's. I can't compare that since this is my first time but I was worried about getting my car running great and I feels so much smoother. I will try and get the a/f and boost log in a bit. Just thought I would share my experience with everyone. Let me know what you think!!

394.6 A/F and boost

A couple comments:

- First, if your tuner had to call another tuner to get an EMS base map, you should have walked out the door right then. I will bet money your tune is nothing more than a slight tweek of the base map.

- Your boost curve is really messed up. You should be hitting full boost around 3K rpms and see peak torque around 3500 rpms with a 2.3/green combo. Once you get proper boost control your power and torque curves will change dramatically. I expect you will pick up a LOT of torque between 3500 and 4500 rpms. . .

- Your AFR's seem too lean. That can be what is causing such high EGT's that your manifold is glowing. . .

- Going from 395whp to 381whp is no where close to a "10% safety buffer". It is actually 3.5%.

- Although you didn't list your mods, the HP and TQ peak numbers seem about 15-17% HIGHER than the average dyno. That is the opposite of what the tuner told you. If he were correct then on the average dyno you'd have 437whp on pump gas on 21psi. That is IMPOSSIBLE with an EVOGreen turbo. Of course your accelleration will tell the truth. If you go bust out a sub-11 second pass then I guess your tuner was telling the truth. . .

- If the car feels good to you, then that's all that matters . . .
Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
A couple comments:

- First, if your tuner had to call another tuner to get an EMS base map, you should have walked out the door right then. I will bet money your tune is nothing more than a slight tweek of the base map.

- Your boost curve is really messed up. You should be hitting full boost around 3K rpms and see peak torque around 3500 rpms with a 2.3/green combo. Once you get proper boost control your power and torque curves will change dramatically. I expect you will pick up a LOT of torque between 3500 and 4500 rpms. . .

- Your AFR's seem too lean. That can be what is causing such high EGT's that your manifold is glowing. . .

- Going from 395whp to 381whp is no where close to a "10% safety buffer". It is actually 3.5%.

- Although you didn't list your mods, the HP and TQ peak numbers seem about 15-17% HIGHER than the average dyno. That is the opposite of what the tuner told you. If he were correct then on the average dyno you'd have 437whp on pump gas on 21psi. That is IMPOSSIBLE with an EVOGreen turbo. Of course your accelleration will tell the truth. If you go bust out a sub-11 second pass then I guess your tuner was telling the truth. . .

- If the car feels good to you, then that's all that matters . . .
I feel ya, I didnt have the best gut feeling about it but I kinda chalked it up to not knowing what to expect. It wasnt the tuner that wanted the base map, it was the head guy at the shop. I think it was because he didnt feel like staying that long starting from scratch.. The guy tuning the car didnt care. I expected a lot more torque out of the combo I was running too.. The fuel graph looks choppy, I was told that it may be because I was seeing knock... It would be great if I had a really good tuner in my area but I have to drive a ways.. My experience was very cool but I dont think I got my money's worth.. Thanks for the input..
Old Mar 10, 2008, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
It all has to do with the tuner and in my case the shop. Too bad you dont have a guy like Sean Ivey that is top of both trades.

Maybe you should look into getting a bunch of evo's together that need to be tuned and maybe a notable tuner will come see you.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

The problem with that is there is not many evo''s where I live. It's more ofe a sighting everynow and then. I am just going to have to make a trip. I am going through my cal file and it really looks like sht. No wonder the guy locks them with a password lol.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

yea the spool does seem a bit late
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Is it just me or is that ridiculously low HP numbers for your setup..? I could see that amount of power WITHOUT a built engine and WITH a stock turbo. Whats the catch here
Old Mar 11, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJedi77
Is it just me or is that ridiculously low HP numbers for your setup..? I could see that amount of power WITHOUT a built engine and WITH a stock turbo. Whats the catch here
I think it is just you.

A built motor doesn't make more power. It allows you push more boost and more rpms - things that DO make more power. A Green doesn't make more power at low boost levels - you start to see the real advantages of it once you get up over 25psi. The HP numbers are high if anything. It is the torque that is lacking, but as mentioned above it is due to a boost control issue. Get that fixed and you will have a whole new car. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Just picked up a solenoid for 10 bucks. I am taking it to David B when i get my meth kit put in. The tooner fkd the base map from him up. If anything I am looking for a smoother tune and a LOT more torque. That guy didnt even want to run higher than 16 psi. I said dude the car is factory around 19psi. real waste of my money.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Any issues with compressor surge on the green? I'm running a 10.5 on a 2.3L and there's obviously problems with it spooling far too soon. At times I can see full boost at 2000 RPMs I thought about going back to a larger turbo, but I like the quick spool and low end grunt so I don't want to stray far from it if I decide to keep the car.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by colonelfox
Any issues with compressor surge on the green? I'm running a 10.5 on a 2.3L and there's obviously problems with it spooling far too soon. At times I can see full boost at 2000 RPMs .
Lets see some logs

I wan't to be surprised but i think your full of lies. Unless you run 13 psi max.

Scorke
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

2000 rpms is pretty low unless you swapped in a very small turbo lol. I think my stock setup I reached full boost at around 4200ish or 4300ish but thats just observing the gauge. I didnt have a log and that was not peak tq either. Do you have any logs? i havent had any surge issues with my setup.

Last edited by evozakk; Mar 11, 2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Lets see some logs

I wan't to be surprised but i think your full of lies. Unless you run 13 psi max.

Scorke
On my last EVO I would get full boost (23psi) at 2700-2800 on a Green on a 2.0L, so low 2000's are not out of the realm of possibilities . . .
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

The richest the car see's according to the chart is 11.7? Ouch.

Mitch M