Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mits vs. Toyota: Resale value..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
earlier generation supra's and mr2's don't hold value worth crap =P

fast and furious made the mkiv supra go up in price overnight
Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
turbo mr2? maybe $10 g's mint with 10k miles on it. i did see one with 125,000 miles ( rebuilt motor) for $6000.
You've never shopped for an MR2 have you?

Autotrader

Some have over 100k miles going for almost $12k!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aklucsarits
Hopefully, years from today, the Evoution 8&9s will be in a similar position - That is, a position where it's still desirable as a performance car and where supply of nice examples is very limited such that market prices level out.
And I hope so too.. but I fear that Mitsu will milk the EVO dry by bringing out generation after generation.

Look at what they did with the Eagle Talon/Eclipse back in the 90s. That car NEVER gained good resale value no matter how bad-*** they were.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo3matt
earlier generation supra's and mr2's don't hold value worth crap =P

fast and furious made the mkiv supra go up in price overnight
That's true.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Well you are looking at very specialized cars... But overall Toyotas reale is better because of their reliablilty in the 90s.... They ran so long and well that people are willing to pay more for them as used cars... Mitsu was not bad but they didn't only Honda compared with Toyota in this regard... Toyota also does very little rebates and don't sell 50k cars so there is less room to depreciate...

But the supra is a different story
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
Are you making the argument that rare means better resale?

Let's take the Dodge Spirit R/T, Omni GLHS, Mazda 626GT Turbo, or the 1990 RX7 Turbo 2.. those were all low production cars but don't come anywhere near the Toyota "go-fast" cars.
Thats exactly what I'm saying...
FYI, just because people are asking that $, doesn't mean they get it.
I can ask 30K for my car all I want, doesn't mean someone is going to buy it.
Personally, I would never pay $15K for a 15yr old MR2 Turbo, those cars just aren't that nice. Before you say anything, yes I do know these cars very well having worked on a friends when he had one.

Dodges are Dodges, they never going to be worth anything. RX-7's are not for everyone, and they blow up all the time. So once again, I feel your argument is flawed, sorry...
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Thats exactly what I'm saying...
FYI, just because people are asking that $, doesn't mean they get it.
I can ask 30K for my car all I want, doesn't mean someone is going to buy it.
You are correct, but let's analyze this for a moment. Take an auction. Universally the prices are there because of the consumer. Evidently, since there are sooo many of them in that high of a price range means that people are indeed buying them. Otherwise, they'd be going for lower because the market would constitute less value.

Personally, I would never pay $15K for a 15yr old MR2 Turbo, those cars just aren't that nice.
That's fine. But that's not the point.

Dodges are Dodges, they never going to be worth anything. RX-7's are not for everyone, and they blow up all the time. So once again, I feel your argument is flawed, sorry...
I can pick a dozen more cars from the 90s that are rare. You still haven't convinced me of "rarity" alone as being the reason for the high resale value.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

The Evo DOES hold a good resale value. Used 03's sell for 20K all day long. That is a five year old vehicle. New, the car was 28K. Using those numbers the car has only depreciated 29% over a 5 year period. Thats 5.8% per year. For the amount of these cars that were produced, and considering that they are still making new models, Thats Awesome. Cars that are no longer produced are a completely different story. I sell cars at a dealership and see for example an 03 Mustang GT that was 28K new sell for 14K now. Thats a 50% depreciation or 10% per year. What will also eventually happen is, with the popularity of the Evo, it will hit a price where the ability to afford the car will meet the demand, and then the car will depreciate even less. Right now, a lot more people WANT them than can afford them. So some of the 20K cars wont sell as fast. Once the prices hit 15k it brings them into a lot more peoples budget. Also I know that you CAN buy an Evo for 15k now. But it either has HIGH miles, problems, or if there is nothing wrong with it, its sold in a day, so it was just priced well below market.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

All:

I own an EVO8 and an MR2 Turbo and I've noticed that Toyota's cars seem to hold their value better than Mitsubishi. My 8 is only 5 years old and yet I can find most of them for 18-20k used. My MR2, on the other hand, is 16 years old and I can find some going for $10-$15k (really mint condition ones). Let's not even mention the Supra which resales for more than the 8/9 used.

Then I look at the parts. You can buy an stock turbo 16G used for about $350.00 and yet, a JDM stock turbo CT20B for the MR2 costs between $750-$900 and it doesn't even push more air than the 16G!

Why does Toyota have better resale value (parts/cars) than Mitsubishi? One would think that the EVO is an even greater legend than the Supra or MR2.

Thoughts?
Compare non specialty cars of each brand in terms of resale value and that will give you the true difference in resale values for each company. Comparing specialty cars that have been long discontinued and cars that are still in production is like comparing apples to oranges. To get a better example, compare a 97 Camry with a 97 Galant with the same miles and options and take a look at the difference. The Camry accounts for a huge amount of sales for Toyota compared to the Supra or MR2 as does the Galant for Mitsubishi. This will give you a better defined answer of resale values for both companies. That's what the general public will look at in terms of resale values for companies, not Evos, Supras, MR-2 Turbos etc etc. Also, if the evo was suddenly discontinued, it's value would significantly increase. It's all about supply and demand!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2highpsi
The Evo DOES hold a good resale value. Used 03's sell for 20K all day long. That is a five year old vehicle. New, the car was 28K. Using those numbers the car has only depreciated 29% over a 5 year period. Thats 5.8% per year. For the amount of these cars that were produced, and considering that they are still making new models, Thats Awesome. Cars that are no longer produced are a completely different story. I sell cars at a dealership and see for example an 03 Mustang GT that was 28K new sell for 14K now. Thats a 50% depreciation or 10% per year. What will also eventually happen is, with the popularity of the Evo, it will hit a price where the ability to afford the car will meet the demand, and then the car will depreciate even less. Right now, a lot more people WANT them than can afford them. So some of the 20K cars wont sell as fast. Once the prices hit 15k it brings them into a lot more peoples budget. Also I know that you CAN buy an Evo for 15k now. But it either has HIGH miles, problems, or if there is nothing wrong with it, its sold in a day, so it was just priced well below market.

I agree with you man. There was an article in Money magazine a few years ago about how well the Evo held it's value. I think it had the evo listed as #1 in 2006.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

I understand what you are saying but some people are failing to see the overall big picture:

If Mitsu keeps making new models that supercede the older models (like the Eagle Talon/Eclipse), then I don't think the 8/9 will fair too well in the resale market.

Toyota made two really great sport cars (Supra/MR2) and just stopped making them. Period. I think this is one of the reasons why they hold resale value better than other cars in the same category.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
Also, if the evo was suddenly discontinued, it's value would significantly increase. It's all about supply and demand!
Agreed! But alas, Mitsu isn't going to do this because they can't afford to NOT have the EVO on sale. I'm sure they'll continue to ride the EVO craze until they can't milk it any more. Which will pretty much make the 8/9 drop in value in the next 10 years.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

I see what you are saying, but it's a little different than that. The DSMs and Evos can't be compared quite the way that you are thinking. DSMs gained popularity a lot more in the tuning community AFTER production was stopped. Dont get me wrong guys WERE racing the cars in the 90s but there wasnt the "cult following" that these kinds of cars have now. For example in the 90s there was not a DSM website with a private car for sale section that had hundreds of people every day looking to find an affordable DSM. The sites existed but were nothing like what this site is. In todays market as far as the Evo goes however that is happening. If you look at the for sale section on here there are Always people on looking. That is demand, and that is what will keep the prices on the Evos fairly high.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

I see what you are saying, but it's a little different than that. The DSMs and Evos can't be compared quite the way that you are thinking. DSMs gained popularity a lot more in the tuning community AFTER production was stopped. Dont get me wrong guys WERE racing the cars in the 90s but there wasnt the "cult following" that these kinds of cars have now. For example in the 90s there was not a DSM website with a private car for sale section that had hundreds of people every day looking to find an affordable DSM. The sites existed but were nothing like what this site is. In todays market as far as the Evo goes however that is happening. If you look at the for sale section on here there are Always people on looking. That is demand, and that is what will keep the prices on the Evos fairly high.
Not if the next gen keeps getting made. Eventually the 8/9 will get lost in the shuffle (just like the MK3 supras or 1st gen MR2s) . EvoX is already showing big promise and the new Ralliart will be based on the same technology (in which MItsu will make a gazillion of those). Since the EvoX is so new, all the flaws that people find will be made better the next go around with the XI. That's when the used EvoX will overtake the 8/9s. Coupled with the Ralliart and MR models coming, I don't see 8/9 being anything special that people would want 10 years from now like the Supra/MR2.

-M
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've never shopped for an MR2 have you?

Autotrader

Some have over 100k miles going for almost $12k!
i'm not saying they're not out there, thats what i would pay. people can ask anything for their car.
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Pric...585%7c0%7c0%7c

Last edited by heavens turbo; Mar 14, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Mits vs. Toyota: Resale value..