Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mits vs. Toyota: Resale value..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only an opinion but I don't think so. As someone else already said, the X is a little more refined car. It's targeting a larger demographic. I have never driven an X but according to some that have, its not nearly as much of a "raw" race style car. I for one have ZERO interest in an X and I think a lot of other people feel the same way. Most of the people making the transition from a DSM or WRX to an Evo want the styling and "rawness" that the 8s and 9s give you. Again its just an opinion, and we all know what they are like
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2highpsi
I see what you are saying, but it's a little different than that. The DSMs and Evos can't be compared quite the way that you are thinking. DSMs gained popularity a lot more in the tuning community AFTER production was stopped. Dont get me wrong guys WERE racing the cars in the 90s but there wasnt the "cult following" that these kinds of cars have now. For example in the 90s there was not a DSM website with a private car for sale section that had hundreds of people every day looking to find an affordable DSM. The sites existed but were nothing like what this site is. In todays market as far as the Evo goes however that is happening. If you look at the for sale section on here there are Always people on looking. That is demand, and that is what will keep the prices on the Evos fairly high.
Right, but you also have to consider they were marketed to a different demographic when they were released, versus who owns them now. A fully loaded Eagle Talon TSi AWD w/ leather, cd, sunroof, cruise, ect in 1990 was in the 21-22k range. That was ALOT of money back in 1989-1990! Pretty much the equivalent of buying a fully loaded Evolution IX MR SE with all the options a year ago.

Finally, the reason why Toyota holds it's value more than a Mitsubishi product is simple: Toyota Reliability>Mitsubishi Reliability.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by slow_evo
I didn't say they build sh*t cars. I just said they aren't built like they used to be.

Consumer reports has "projected reliability" on brand new cars based on the previous model years. But for example what about cars with a first year model year? ie the Yaris when it came out, they gave it 10/10 projected reliability rating only because it is a Toyota. But the chevy Aveo which is practically a toyota with gm badges, consumer reports gave the Aveo a 6/10 score in the same category?

Sounds biased doesn't it?
The Aveo is NOT a toyota product, it is built by daewoo which is korean

so no, based on your example, they are not biased.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DreamX
The Aveo is NOT a toyota product, it is built by daewoo which is korean

so no, based on your example, they are not biased.
Ok Pontiac Vibe vs Toyota Matrix. Same EXACT car, different ratings...
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

a clean stock 1999 eclipse gsx w/90k still go for 11-12k and their prices already hit rock bottom. i would assume the ct9a evos would be worth more when its price hit the lowest.

all i know is that the new x will definitely depreciated faster than the ct9a. 4g63 FTW!!