Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RMR F'ing up again

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2003, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MrMeaner

I in no way think you don't have the right to feel the way that you do Shawn. Your story is known throughout the forums. However I haven't had the same problems you have and I'm greatfull for it. I do take others experiences into account before making decisions on products and vendors but having used RMR before your problems and after I would have to say I still think RMR is a good vendor.

Sorry about your ride Shawn.
I guess as long as you're just ordering parts, go for it. I wouldn't let them near your car though

Shawn
Old Aug 1, 2003, 01:51 PM

Update on my car

Replying my to my own message here....update on my motor.

Well I'm VERY happy to report, my motor is NOT dead! RMR actually was unable to destroy my motor, goes to show the strength of the 4G63. Not even 50 degrees of timing advance at 1700 rpms and audible detontation could ruin my beloved EVO.

Results were as follows: no less than 4 psi of difference in compression from all 4 cylinders, no more than 5% leakdown.

So needless to say I'm "back in the saddle". I have lots of gorund to make up if I want to compete with Al. I will say this, I'll make the time for now on to wrench on my car. Better to do it right myself and know it's done properly, then let some "experts" like RMR have at it.

Shawn Glass
Old Aug 1, 2003, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey gang!

A few comments on this sad subject

First - it seems that Shawn is a seriously UNHAPPY client of RMR and that he has some very serious issues with his job that need to be resolved - - I'm sure RMR has its side of the story which apprently they chose NOT to publish here for legal or other reasons - - Shawn is a good guy and a big fan of Evos and thus it pains me that he has such unhappy experiances with his Evo and I wish somehow this could be sorted out - - - - BUT with that said - I am not getting into the middle of this debate becuase I was not there and don't have enough information and also because I know boths sides and I really just dont want to be involved with this saga - I'm not taking side and I don't want to get involved

Secondly, RMR - and particularly Blair has been very helpful to me and they have given me a lot of advice and help in getting things to me quickly and also hooking me up with a few deals along the way

My experience has been that the RMR products that I have were excelently made and worked flawlessly - I highly recomend the parts that I have been using

Again - I had no service done at RMR - I just used their parts

The debate over the term "sponserhip" is mostly becuase Pruven Performance is the MAIN sponser of my car and is the MAIN assister of my efforts in making my car the fastest EVO in the world

Without Dan at Pruven - NONE of my results would be possible - - he fabricates my pipes - he advises me - and helps me with many things - - he trailered my car out the the DSM shootout and helped me with getting it ready and doing the race - also he was instrumental in securing a magazine feature article and photo shoot which took place after the race in Ohio - - finally - he was the one who drove my car to the record setting 11.63 @ 117 mph pass

The misunderstanding was when the press release from RMR was first read - - it created the erroneous impression that RMR was the sole sponser of this effort - that was insulting to Pruven - becuase they were mostly responsible for the time and my presence at the race

Since them - RMR has appologized to Dan - - they have explained that what they ment was that - I as their client and someone they hooked up had done some great times with THEIR parts - including the 3" turbo back exhuast I am so fond of - all of this is true - I greatly appreciate the RMR parts and the advice and counsel of RMR

To me - this all seems like a situation of semantics and the mis use of words

I have serveral "sponsers" - vendors who have helped me one way or the other and with whom I am pleased to remain affiliated :

Main sponser - Pruven Performance

Works Rally
Perrin
Vivid Racing
RMR Products

and Liberty Auto Body - home of the points leading Quick 8 drag car - and the best nitrous shop in the us !

I hope this ends this sillyness and we can all move onto other things

PS - by the time you read this 11.63 at 118 mph will be OLD news anyway - like going backwards for me !
Old Aug 1, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

hey al, nice job with your car.. but what about the evo 5 that ran the 10.917sec 1/4?
http://www.auto-plus.com/cars_evo5.html

that site doesnt list the speed, and im no track expert.. but wouldnt that evo 5 be faster (with that e.t.)?

edit: found this too

Evo 6 TM
10.89 secs at 127 MPH
http://www.auto-plus.com/cars_evo6tm.html

did you mean to say fastest EVO VIII?

Last edited by cky3396; Aug 1, 2003 at 05:33 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

shawn DID say evo 8
Old Aug 1, 2003, 07:57 PM

he meant evo 8 im sure
Old Aug 1, 2003, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

My car IS the qucikest and fastest EVO VIII in the world right now - and you did read me right when I said my goal is the qucikest and fastest EVO in the world

My ultimate goal is a mid 9 second evo viii

Whether or not I make that goal remains to be seen - BUT -

I can tell you that Pruven was just selected for this years' Ultimate Street Car Challange with its black shop evo - - - AND that the black evo will be doing some times that will amaze you all - in only a few short weeks
Old Aug 1, 2003, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Al - glad to see something positive from you! Congrats on your time...

As for the quality of work there, RMR has done ALL of the installs on my car. How many problems have I had? ZERO. How much better do I like my Evo? INFINITELY more. Shawn, if you collected from RMR, then why do you harp on it? Let it go - you got your money, Al isn't upset, etc.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you Al for clearing that up... I have been biting me lower lip all day. We are very proud to be working with you and are extremely anxious to see you break into the 10's.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RMRBlair
Thank you Al for clearing that up... I have been biting me lower lip all day. We are very proud to be working with you and are extremely anxious to see you break into the 10's.
Running 10's with such a quiet sounding and well contructed exhuast would be a great way to show to real power potential of this system

BTW - my buddy Paul just got his new set up from you guys this week - I don't know how you did it but the recent revisions it seems you guys made - have made the system fit even better through the back bumper and it looks very very good
Old Aug 2, 2003, 07:10 PM
SOF
Evolving Member

I think you're confused as to the definition of sponsorship. Who paid for your car? Who paid for the parts? Was it you? Then you have no sponsors. Just because someone helps you build the car, tune it, etc, does not mean they are a sponsor. Ever watch any motorsports? There is a difference between a sponsor and a team.

spon·sor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spnsr)
n.
One that finances a project or an event carried out by another person or group, especially a business enterprise that pays for radio or television programming in return for advertising time.

Personally I would not put anyone's logo on my car unless they provided me parts and/or cash.

Last edited by SOF; Aug 2, 2003 at 07:14 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 07:31 PM

you would think RMR which has been doing car stuff for how long? would know what sponsorship means. It would be pretty thick headed to think that they used the word sponsorship not knowing what their intentions were. Just my opinion.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Who cares guys ???

This is a silly fuss about nothing !

lets just forget about this and move onto more interesting things . . . like how I spent the past two days tearing a evo motor out of a evo and taking it apart piece by piece bit by bit in preparation for my assult upon the laws of physics !!!!!!!!!

PS - I forgot to mention the very cool guys at AMS who hooked me up big time with cams galore!
Old Aug 2, 2003, 08:49 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm definately not a fan of RMR or RPW for that matter but there are some things out there that they do which interest me and some i'd even tell people about. On that note I paid for my car and everything on it. I still consider myself sponsored by RRM due to the fact as many favors were done and are being done still for me by RRM! This doesn't mean i get free stuff but i trade a free item for the technical assistance and shop work anyday.... especially since i'm doing things to the lancer no one has yet! If Al is cool with it and has worked it out it's a done deal. If he states that they sponsor him then that is his decision but also RMR's right to do the same. Making cars fast and reliable takes more than just parts and wrenches. Technical skills, often offered by sponsors at no cost, are the keys to keeping mods safe/fast/reliable/proven!!

Good job Al and hope to see more soon