Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ferrari 360 vs Evo IX (not a kill story)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari 360 vs Evo IX (not a kill story)

Edit: All answers and pics on page 5.

So i recently came into owning a 99 Ferrari 360 Modena 6sp, against my will, might i add.

I also have an Evo IX with the basic power mods, suspension, blah blah blah.

I have to say, that I like the Evo better. Power wise, they are about even on pump gas. The different power curves, however, make the rarri seem slower.

The rarri feels detached. I dont feel like i have full control like the evo. The steering is way slower on the rarri, which i think adds to its horrible feel.

Simple things like seating position are not well thought out in the rarri. I mean, in a stock evo its pretty bad too, but put a lower seat in there and it couldn't get better.

The clutch on the rarri is less than user friendly, and i've never had anything but a stock clutch in the evo, but its not bad.

The evo on super racings feels much more planted and compliant (i'll admit it was setup fairly well). I'm sure the rarri could use a setup, but as it sits, it does not feel good.

One thing i will admit, the Ferrari sounds unbelieveable. And that is on stock exhaust. I have heard that straight pipes on that thing make it sound like an F1 car.

Another thing to note is that the evo is obviously a lot less expensive to maintain. The 360 had to visit the dealer (the only place you can have it serviced if you want to maintain the records) for a new clutch, timing belts, motor mounts, and a few other odds and ends including some warranty work. The bill was just short of $16k. That's a lot of money, i dont care who you are!

I recently put a quaife, rebuilt the bottom end and put in a lightweight flywheel for about $3k in the evo. Of course i did most of the work myself, but that is not even an option for the 360. If you do, the resale goes through the floor.

Any day of the week, i would rather drive a stock evo with $5k worth of parts (bringing the total of a new car to around $35k, than drive the $120k Ferrari.

I'd like to get my hands on a GT3 and do the same comparison, but one of those hasn't been forced on me quite yet.

FWIW, I like the Evo.

Last edited by eficker; Mar 20, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What R U rich or something, if you dont like the rarri send it my way, Ill even trade ya for my evo.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

You know I have heard that before from some of our customers.

I have driven some exotics and while they sound amazing a lot of them really dont perform to what you would expect for the price tag.

The only thing I don't understand is how you buy a car against your will?

Mitch
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:44 AM
Account Disabled

^^^^+1 on that matter ill trade..lol.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

ok! i really dont know what to say about that,lol. ahhh thanks i guess,lol. you are lucky to be in that position though so more power to you, im sure you worked very hard to get where and what you got, so more power to you.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:49 AM

Im guessing wifey wanted a ferrari?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Ferrari is more of a luxury sports car. It got the power and top speed but doesn't have what the Evo have. I would love to own one some day but not now cause I'm broke! Talking luxury sports, I might rather get a Lotus or M3 since their price tags are a lot more affordable.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Sick. The 360's are soooo pretty though.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:53 AM

he said he came into owning one.... maybe he didnt buy it. Maybe inherited or something like that.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Please clarify how you "came into owning a 99 Ferrari 360 Modena 6sp, against your will" because I'm sure we are all dying to find out? Let me guess; somebody put a gun to your head and said take this Ferrari or I will blow your brains out. Obviously you have a fair amount of disposable income to put $16k into fixing your "rarri". If you really dislike it that much I'm sure someone on this board is willing to take it from you, including me.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:15 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a lot of evo owners forced to take exotic cars
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

How do you own a ferrari against your will? Must be nice to buy such a car even though you didnt want to...
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

possibly a death of a loved one who passed it on?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
Please clarify how you "came into owning a 99 Ferrari 360 Modena 6sp, against your will" because I'm sure we are all dying to find out? Let me guess; somebody put a gun to your head and said take this Ferrari or I will blow your brains out. Obviously you have a fair amount of disposable income to put $16k into fixing your "rarri". If you really dislike it that much I'm sure someone on this board is willing to take it from you, including me.
How about you drop the trolling and fire up the neurons in your head and think about it. He probably got it from someone's estate or his WAPCE wanted it.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with you i'd take an evo over a rrari... more sensible...
if you wanted to know what it sounded like with exhaust heres a clip i found
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N00W0LSls5c

Quick Reply: Ferrari 360 vs Evo IX (not a kill story)