Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will adding an Intake system void d warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will adding an Intake system void d warranty?

I'm thinking about installing an Intake system. Will that void any dealer warranty? Someone told me that it might void because the Intake system will be sucking more air.....
Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

I know you're new here, but try searching the forums for warranty questions. Every dealership is different and some may allow certain mods and others allow nothing. The rule of thumb is this... If you're concerned about your warranty, talk to the service department managers in your area and see what mods will not affect your warranty. If there's any doubt, don't do it. Personally, my warranty was not important, so I said F it.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:25 PM

believe it or not they will try to void it for the air filter. they know it can't cause most problems you could have but its an easy way for them to not have to warranty anything and make money in the process. if your gonna do it, at least put your stock one back in before you take it to the dealership. its a quick fix and saves you the headache
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

If they do try to void your warranty, because they most likely will for just adding an air freshner, because you have an intake, get a lawyer. I have heard some of the stupidest reasons for voiding the warranty.

There are laws to protect the consumer as long as the part did not cause the failure.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

for some dealerships asking about your warranty will void your warranty. for others only if the aftermarket causes something to break will it void the warranty for that work. for some others they will turn a blind eye for some stuff and not know what they are looking at for others.

if it means that much put it on and put it back to stock before you take it to the dealership. If this is the first thing you are doing to your car I would research on other parts that will void your warranty first before this one that prove to be a better start.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thegame
I know you're new here, but try searching the forums for warranty questions. Every dealership is different and some may allow certain mods and others allow nothing. The rule of thumb is this... If you're concerned about your warranty, talk to the service department managers in your area and see what mods will not affect your warranty. If there's any doubt, don't do it. Personally, my warranty was not important, so I said F it.
Originally Posted by SpooksEvo
If they do try to void your warranty, because they most likely will for just adding an air freshner, because you have an intake, get a lawyer. I have heard some of the stupidest reasons for voiding the warranty.

There are laws to protect the consumer as long as the part did not cause the failure.
I always believed the part had to be linked to the failure. But Mitsubishi's new thing is "It adds power which puts more strain on everything, which can cause a break to basically anything".
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

^ the Truth!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SpooksEvo
^ the Truth!
I learned it the hard way too..
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by .50 Cal Cow
for some dealerships asking about your warranty will void your warranty. for others only if the aftermarket causes something to break will it void the warranty for that work. for some others they will turn a blind eye for some stuff and not know what they are looking at for others.

if it means that much put it on and put it back to stock before you take it to the dealership. If this is the first thing you are doing to your car I would research on other parts that will void your warranty first before this one that prove to be a better start.
So sad but true
Old Mar 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Yea absolutly ask your Mistu service department. I asked to make sure and I'm glad mine said that they would have to prove the part I put on caused the malfunction otherwise they will have to honor the warranty.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Golden Rule:

If you are at all concerned about your warranty, keep the car stock, period end of story. Skirting the line for a 150.00 part to void a warranty that could save you several thousand dollars is not worth it if you are dependent on that warranty in the event of a severe failure. Its no secret that Mitsu has been less than accommodating with the mods, or any gray area when it comes to warranty work.

Also, these forums will make you mod happy. Know what the car is capable of with just a few bolt ons, its very hard to justify keeping the car stock and the more you read, the more you'll be like, "well it's just an intake and I can put the stock one back on." $3000.00 dollars later you'll be a whole weekend into putting your car back to stock form. Good luck on whatever you decide. My only advice is play it the way you can afford it. Adding every bolt on under the sun and then returning it to stock form for a warranty claim makes it all the more difficult for people to get warranty claims too.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:23 PM

They will complain about any thing you do to the car.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

I've been told any "performance mods" void the warranty.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

The day it was purchased and moved from the dealer lot the warranty was VOID
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
The day it was purchased and moved from the dealer lot the warranty was VOID
+1

Quick Reply: Will adding an Intake system void d warranty?