Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warranty Denial...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Subaru voided a guy's warranty b/c he had a turbo timer - subaru is the worst
Subaru will void your warrenty for ANY aftermarket pat. They would not fix a bad head on my RS because of a bigger rear sway bar. Go figure.

As for any transmission. An engineer is required to buid a tranny that is 18% stronger than stock. So our tranny should be fine at say 49 lbs of torque over stock. As long as your not baning down a 1/4 mile. So for this guy to have a MBC. Mits has to prove that the increase is over and beyond stock HP as well as over the required safety limit of the tranny. Engineers have to build this was because of FED regulations, safety issues. So get a lawyer IMO.

But, AlfredSq is absolutly correct. You knew that Modding your EVO Could do this. Thats why you either have lots of money or you wait 36,000 miles.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:39 AM

I have been very polite to the dealer. As I said in my post about my clutch they were really good about it. My problem is actually the regional service manager. He seems to have only one answer to problems with EVO's. I talked to the dealership's GM he remembered me and said that I have been nothing but polite and courtious, so he would be happy to help me try to get it covered. He also said that it was total bull that they weren't covering it. I totally agree that going in screaming and hollering doesn't solve anything, of course that was my first instinct, but I restrained myself. I really wish I hadn't modded my car now as I am not rich and can't afford to fix it right now.

To the people who said I should know better....I see your point and agree with you in theory, but like some others have said there are Evo's out there running 500hp on stock trans with no problems, I am nowhere near that figure. Makes me think I got a bad Evo. I don't drive my car that hard, as said before when this problem started I was going down a freeway at 75mph in traffic, with friends in the car.

Thanks for all the input.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:41 AM
In Timeout

So far it seems the trannys are pretty strong. It is the clutch that is a serious weak link for sure. I think this is all part of the game of having a very fast awd sports car.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

I must say man you bit it with the MBC, I got friendly with the head mechanic were I bought my car he actually gave some pointers on performance he said exhaust no problem intake no problem to get warrany work. The one thing he said is changing the turbo or the boost is a warrany NO NO. Dude sorry it went down like that but they have a leg to stand on with this one.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

actually no they don't. as was mentioned earlier the tranny has to be 18% stronger than stock. now prove 22 punds of boost( 10 hp per 1 psi would equal 30 hp) wich is the max attainable with the factory boost controller inline caused it to break. a howling means a bearing has spun or has stopped spinin(in most cases). here is something else to think about also. when you add an exhaust you get a higher boost spike.. wouldn't that mean more power? wouldn't that mean voided warranty? again.. prove the extra power broke it. if you ask me.. i bet the mechanic forgot to put oil in it.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

evo guy i have the same problem its not the trany its vc ihad my car tune (buschur racing int. turbo back ex. mbc safc exedy clutch and ic.pipe mi car started making thet noise also)took it to the dealer they change the oil in the vc.and it was super burnt so we change it 100 miles later the same super burnt im still driving it till the vc.comes in the 11th. the problem could have been they put the wrong oil when they change your clutch.the vc its very picky about oil
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:39 AM

I talked to Vivid this morning and they said it might be differential servicing...went out checked both; the back one was ok, the front was way low...put some in it, about 10-12oz the sound got better but still not gone. Came back in called the dealer they are checking into it. I think I found the problem though, now to just get them to admit they screwed the pooch!
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately in this country you need a lawyer for everything.
You can call 100 times with no results.
A simple letter from a lawyer will get results.
A new tranny costs Mitsubishi a lot less than court costs.
They don't just hand out money to anyone, but if you retain a lawyer they will probably pay up.
It is the worst thing about this country.
Politicians accept money from lawyer lobbiests to create a litigious society.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I don't think has been asked... did he set the MBC for over 19PSI or was he just holding 19 to redline......
Old Aug 4, 2003, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'm really sorry to hear this. Yes you may have been true in leaving in yout mbc, but we should all know service = removing any aftermarket such as a mbc. I have a ebc that will sit until 36,000 I hate it, but I don't want to get ****ed. The only aftermarket I will do within 36,000 is exhaust intake and turbo timer. Good luck with everything.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:41 AM

Understanding the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act .
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

If anyone lives close enough to this dealer I would say go here:
Younger Motors
Hagerstown, MD
301-733-2300
When I bought my evo the service manager told me that he would have to prove that the aftermarket part caused damage before he would deny any warranty claim. They also sell some aftermaket products on site but not many.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:46 AM

does a BOV void a warranty???
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:48 AM

or what about a s-afcII????
Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

both could safc more likly 2 since your messing with the air fuel and could cause the engine 2 run 2 lean or 2 rich

Quick Reply: Warranty Denial...