Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recall info. [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2003, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like there'd be a TSB or something which was sent to the dealers, I'd love to get a copy...

Dan
Old Sep 13, 2003, 11:07 PM

By "open recall" just means that when you enter the car's VIN on Mitsu's Dealerlink at the shop.. it gives you all the "open recalls" meaning recalls that haven't been done to the car..

When I go into work tomorrow I'll see what I can do about scanning pictures off and I'll find out what kind of sealant we use.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

It took them 5 hours to do my car. WTF! Well, I did ask them to do an oil change for me, because I was at 3K ($45, I'm never gonna have them change my oil again. I'm doing it myself from now on. I changed my own oil at 1700). But the oil change itself didn't take long. They said it was 30 mins to diagnose, but then they told me to just leave and come back in 4 hours. When I got back, they weren't even done. I had to wait another hour before it finished. They said there was no leaks, but they resealed it anyway. 5 HOURS?!?!?!?!
__NiTe__
Old Sep 14, 2003, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Yep, that's dealer service for ya. I called and scheduled an appointment for an alignment one time. They said it would take a 6hr wait. I was like 'wtf, that's why I'm calling for an appointment.' I think they just want the non-warranty costly fixes, not some rinky-dink maintenance servicing.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by Falconsra
When I go into work tomorrow I'll see what I can do about scanning pictures off and I'll find out what kind of sealant we use.
Thanks Andrew, any info you could grab would be terrific!

Dan
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So has anyone really found out about the actual recall?
I want to know what exactly is done and where the potential leak is. I will definitely do it myself if I could find out where the problem is, which I probably don't have anyway. My dealer put in a part that takes 5 minutes and it took them an hour. It doesn't even require any tools to do it. The guy hacked the **** out of it to boot. Chances are I have more qualification and experience then most of their guys anyway. Damn I knew that course in windnoise and waterleak diagnosis would come in handy.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 09:45 AM
STC

When my gf brought in her Evo for the recall, (no leaks here)
she had them do an oil change too (we have 3 yrs worth of oil changes, got it for $500)

Anyways, when they told her she they were done, she asked them Mobil 10w30 right. The install guy was like "uh... no, its 5w30"
Then she was like " no, it requires 10w30" then the guy says no its "uh no its5w30". So she calls me up and asks whats oil the Evo uses. I said "10w30" the the install guy wants to talk to me.
He says "Sir the Mitsubishi Evolution requires 5w30"
I say is it Mobil 1. He says Yes. Then I say check the manual. He says he doesnt need to. I say I'll bet you the cost of the oil change. Then he said " uh..um...uh" So i said go check. Then he said " Well most Mitsu use 5w30, so thats all we stock.

At the end, the install guy had to drive to Kragen and buy some 10w30. They comped us the Oil Change and my girl had to wait an extra hr.

Mitsu install guy suck
Old Sep 26, 2003, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

I'm using 5w-30 since day one!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

It's in the shop manual that EVO could use both 10w30 or 5w30...
I think usually 5w30 cost more than 10w30's....

Personally... I'm putting 10w40 in there...

Originally posted by STC
When my gf brought in her Evo for the recall, (no leaks here)
she had them do an oil change too (we have 3 yrs worth of oil changes, got it for $500)

Anyways, when they told her she they were done, she asked them Mobil 10w30 right. The install guy was like "uh... no, its 5w30"
Then she was like " no, it requires 10w30" then the guy says no its "uh no its5w30". So she calls me up and asks whats oil the Evo uses. I said "10w30" the the install guy wants to talk to me.
He says "Sir the Mitsubishi Evolution requires 5w30"
I say is it Mobil 1. He says Yes. Then I say check the manual. He says he doesnt need to. I say I'll bet you the cost of the oil change. Then he said " uh..um...uh" So i said go check. Then he said " Well most Mitsu use 5w30, so thats all we stock.

At the end, the install guy had to drive to Kragen and buy some 10w30. They comped us the Oil Change and my girl had to wait an extra hr.

Mitsu install guy suck
Old Sep 26, 2003, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Yea, you can use either one. I have the e-manual and it says so.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by timzcat
So has anyone really found out about the actual recall?
I want to know what exactly is done and where the potential leak is. I will definitely do it myself if I could find out where the problem is, which I probably don't have anyway. My dealer put in a part that takes 5 minutes and it took them an hour. It doesn't even require any tools to do it. The guy hacked the **** out of it to boot. Chances are I have more qualification and experience then most of their guys anyway. Damn I knew that course in windnoise and waterleak diagnosis would come in handy.
Mine is going in to the shop on Oct 1st to get the diffs, transfer case, and transmission drained and refilled. They are also going to perform the recall. They said that it is mainly just an inspection, but they might have to reseal. I am going to take my digital camera and snap pictures of everything, telling them that all of you guys are interested in exactly what they do to the car for this recall.

They are a pretty cool dealership, so they will probably have no problem with me being in the shop. After all, my Evo is the only one they ever get to service. If they don't let me take the pictures, then I'll gladly stop bringing my service to them (who else do you know that has all the gear box fluids changed at 6,000 miles because of a "overmaintenance complex" that I have).

Josh
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:19 PM

I had mine done. From what I could decipher from all the total BS they have given me is this. Water intrusion in the area of the rocker panels below the rear doors. I could see where they resealed it because the new sealant was while and the old is covered with undercoating. The reason is that the water will corrode the rear O2 harness connector under the passenger front seat. You can check under the carpet for moisture.

Peter
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i called my dealer today and they said they need to inspect it and seal it or change something if necessary. i took it in and it was done within 45 minutes.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 12:08 PM
BMo
Evolving Member

I called the toll-free number again today for the second time (first last month) and again my VIN has no recall. I have a low-profile wing which someone earlier had said indicates a later build date. I dunno. I'd personally rather wait until it's official from because the dudes at mydealership strike me as a bit clueless!
Old Oct 8, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

I forgot to take my digital camera with me to the dealership when I got the work done. However, my transmission/transfer case/differentials had no metal flakes or shavings in them. The tech could not see any and he used a magnetic pickup and still couldn't find any in the oil.

I guess it pays to speed match between gears and never grind a gear when shifting.

Josh

Quick Reply: Recall info. [MERGED]