Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recall info. [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2003 | 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

I had this done on my car quite a while ago. One thing I did pick up from the service manager, though, is that there were two possible procedures. The first is the quick 45 minute or so process most cars (mine included) were slated for. The second procedure, if required, is supposed to take about 4 hours.

I have know ide what denotes which cars get what service; but he did clearly state that there were two possible proceedures.
Old Oct 18, 2003 | 09:29 PM

thanks for looking out. i hope that's the end of it.
Old Oct 19, 2003 | 09:36 PM

that sucks
Old Oct 20, 2003 | 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

I took mine about two weeks ago. Had a little mishap in the parking lot. The attendant in the service department told me about it. My cars Birthday is March 31
Old Nov 6, 2003 | 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

when i got my oil change at the dealer they went ahead and did the recall job on it too.
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

When I got my oil change at 5000 miles the dealer asked permission to do a "recall on the wiring loom that had to do with corrosion on the wires". He also told me I had aftermarket springs! That's news to me. What color are stock springs.
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 01:38 PM

So are they NOTIFYING people if their car is under the recall, or what? I change my own oil etc.

I'd still like to see the official TSB on this. If my car needs a squirt of sealant, I'd rather just do it myself.

Dan

Last edited by Evo D; Nov 17, 2003 at 01:40 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evo D
So are they NOTIFYING people if their car is under the recall, or what? I change my own oil etc.

I'd still like to see the official TSB on this. If my car needs a squirt of sealant, I'd rather just do it myself.

Dan
It isn't a recall. It is more like a preventative measure the started with the Outlander. They noticed that some Evos wer also vunerable for the same thing. Call Mitsu of North America and they can tell you if your VIN is one of the cars in need of the additional sealant. It isn't solely for the ECU wires, apparently, but they seal multiple places, front to back, depending on what all you need.
Old Nov 19, 2003 | 03:04 PM

Josh-Thanks for the reply. Went to the dealer yesterday to get a couple copper power steering hose washers for my wife's Nissan that no one else had in the right size (6 bucks for the pair. JEEEEEZ!) and while I was there I went over to the Mitsu side (Ricart in central Ohio. They sell damn near everything... ) and asked them about the recall. Some numb-nut who "usually works over in the Hyundai department" looked up my EVO's vin on the Mitsu system, and it said "no open recalls". Saw it myself. I'd *STILL* like to get some hard and fast info on EXACTLY what they do on this thing. Someone claiming to be from a dealer promised to post the TSB & exact sealant used awhile back but surprise surprise, that never happened... I know, I'm being paranoid about the car, but I don't want them driving it, I don't want them working on it, I just don’t trust 'em

Dan
Old Nov 19, 2003 | 03:14 PM

Don't know how many here are familiar with Alldata, basically it's a company that compiles TSB's on all makes/models (supposedly) then sells the info to independent garages on a subscription basis. Anyway, they have nothing at all on the Evo, but the following is listed for the Outlander:

TSB Number SR-03-002

Issue Date JUN 03

TSB Title-Recall - Wire Harness Corrosion

Without a subscription all you can do is search for existing TSB's, but the local library subscribes to Alldata so I'm going to check this out next time I'm over there, probably later this week. If anyone else is interested I can post the info, should provide some help, at least probably the sealants used/inspection method.

Dan
Old Dec 26, 2003 | 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

From AllData, recall and TSB info:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/39/03395661.html

HTH...
Old Dec 28, 2003 | 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaleighEVOVIII

EDIT: Although not taking your evo in for this recall and something happens to the car you have then voided your warranty.
All recalls are retroactive no matter if the owner refuses to drop into the dealership.
Old Dec 28, 2003 | 10:26 AM

my Evo built date is October 03, does that mean there is no recall for me?
Old Dec 29, 2003 | 03:26 PM

I did go to the local public library, which has a full subscription to Alldata (again, without a subscription all you can see is a list of outstanding recalls). The Alldata info contains the full text of the Mitsu letter to owners, TSB with complete diagnosis & repair procedure/materials for the side sill reseal, dash leakage & oxygen sensor connector inspection/repair. Other public libraries no doubt have Alldata subscriptions as well. The procedures are fairly straightforward with this info.

Dan
Old Feb 4, 2004 | 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

I just called MMUSA and gave them the last 8 digits of my VIN. They said no recalls for my Evo (just bought it 1/27), so maybe it is only the earlier build dates?

Quick Reply: Recall info. [MERGED]