Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recall info. [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn 9700 miles

thats good

i have only 6200 and i thought that was a lot for a stock clutch
Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone called the dealer and confirmed that this recall is applicable to the EVO?
Old Aug 4, 2003, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Don't mean to get off topic but the guys burning up clutches are probably doing lotza 5K RPM launches. Everytime I do one its BBQ clutch. Just waiting on ACT clutches to come out dont have $1400 for an excedy kit but $600 for a kick *** clutch way better than stock will do me fine. Considering the labor apart

Originally posted by sneakychaos
word... I have 5k on my stock clutch, no probs whatsoever.

Oh well..
Old Aug 4, 2003, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BLKEVO8
Don't mean to get off topic but the guys burning up clutches are probably doing lotza 5K RPM launches. Everytime I do one its BBQ clutch. Just waiting on ACT clutches to come out dont have $1400 for an excedy kit but $600 for a kick *** clutch way better than stock will do me fine. Considering the labor apart

I have done quite a few 5k launches on my clutch and I hardly ever burn it up in doing so. I think the guys who are burning them up doing those launches are not doing them properly.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well I have 6400 miles and my clutch is fine I have missed a couple second gear shifts coming out of an 7.5K 1st and have smelled some clutch out of 5K launches. If your not smelling clutch then you must be slamming your differential making that loud bang noise in the rear its one or the other if you are accomplishing a 5K launch with neither of these on a consistant bases then open up a Evo driving school I will enroll.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Always gots to love the people who point the blame at the operator for cars that have issues... namely the clutch problem.

If it was just a driver issue then likely there wouldn't be so damn many of them. Also, any clutch that fries in under 5K miles is a piece of crap, no matter how many times you dump it.

If yours isn't having problems, great. It may just mean that you drive like an old woman, but hey, I wouldn't say anything insulting like that. Its one of those ***-uming types of comments.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

I think you just showed you *** on that comment.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not going to point the finger yet.

If I had to take sides....I would say its more of an issue with the clutch, rather than operator.

I maybe going easy with my clutch these days....but even if I make it to 30k and it wears out...that is still WAY to premature in my mind.

With the way I drive...I expect 100k out of this clutch. 80k at the least..
Old Aug 4, 2003, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

i still think it has to be the valve in the hydralic line o an incorrectly adjusted set up(namely the pedal being to far up)
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

recall is defintely real, just called my dealer, he's going to order the parts he needs, something like an oxygen sensor and a wiring harness kit? Recalls this early in the game....grrrrr.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

If yours isn't having problems, great. It may just mean that you drive like an old woman, but hey, I wouldn't say anything insulting like that. Its one of those ***-uming types of comments
I think clutch failures we are seeing may be a result of improper clutch breakin on some of the cars, driver error or extreme hard driving on others, and maybe a few as a result of defects or weak pressure plate. I launch mine at 5-5500 rpm at every autox..over 25 times do far, and occassionally on the street and with 4300 miles haven't had any issues...knock on wood
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:25 AM

SSKILLA, thanks for the info on the recall. I just called my dealer and gave them my VIN#. I'm on the list and it's going in this Friday. Not an issue since I've noticed a 1st to 2nd gear grind. Getting that looked at while i'm there.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

ummm...

I think people are suspecting pilot error with clutch failure because the clutch is a wear item. It is possible to roach the clutch without even driving 10 miles, although highly unlikely. I don't think any other item could be wornout that fast. It is just the most likely item to be wornout with abuse or misuse.

Have we established approximately how many people have clutch trouble? Is it like 5 or 500? Just curious.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by RaX
I couldn't find the Recall for the Evo specifically, but here is the Outlander one:
RaX-Where did you go to get that info?

Dan
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

I just called my dealer they have heard nothing the guy said first they contact the customer then the media then the dealer. GM just announced a huge recall for the Endeaver and the Saturn a bad one. It was in the Media

Quick Reply: Recall info. [MERGED]