Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recall info. [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great time to say "hey, can you guys check my alignment?" since it's covered by warranty too.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Went to get my recall work done and they siad my car was all good and didnt need any work But I did have them install my blue pedals and scuff plates
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Daveyd
Went to get my recall work done and they siad my car was all good and didnt need any work But I did have them install my blue pedals and scuff plates
Similar experience here.... I got there relatively early (8 a.m.) and I asked them how long it would take. They said it depends, they'll inspect it and that would take about 45 minutes. If was OK, I could go then, if not, it would take some hours to correct..... They came back in about 1 hour and my car was soaked ... Fortunately they got no water inside, but the windows and inside mirror were totally fogged up... Anyway, they said it was OK and I was on my way.... The whole thing took about 1.5 hrs.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

my took about 1.5 hours and they told me that they put a new sealer for better protecion against the water
Old Aug 30, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

OK, so the recall is on the ECU wiring harness? That means I'll have to un-tap the wiring for my turbo timer.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Coolguy949
OK, so the recall is on the ECU wiring harness? That means I'll have to un-tap the wiring for my turbo timer.
I don't think it has anything to do with the TT wiring. I think it's all about water getting in the car, collecting under the floor mats and shorting the O2 sensor wires. They try to get the car completely wet and see if it needs additional sealing, and then they do it, they might have to do some repairs if the wiring is affected, but that should be all.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

its the rear o2 sensor i had mine done last monday. it took 1/2 hour
Old Sep 9, 2003, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8

I don't think it has anything to do with the TT wiring. I think it's all about water getting in the car, collecting under the floor mats and shorting the O2 sensor wires. They try to get the car completely wet and see if it needs additional sealing, and then they do it, they might have to do some repairs if the wiring is affected, but that should be all.
Had my recall work done today. They basically just seal along the frame rails to ensure no water can penetrate in the cabin foolboard. The paperwork mentions water potentially getting into wiring on the floorboard.

The work took about 1 hour, and the smell of the undercoating afterwards was enough to knock you out. I actually felt light-headed afterwards!! Do yourself a favor and let it air-out!

N10S
Old Sep 9, 2003, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

is there anyway you can take pics of where they sealed it? Thanks in advance
Old Sep 9, 2003, 06:01 PM

I have an Evo with the the small wing--which I think was one of the latest productions-- May 2003. When I was installing my catback--I noticed some kind of sealing material on the side rails under the car. It looks like a thick kind of ruffled tape with the black undercoating applied to it. Is this what the dealers are applying to the affected cars?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Had my recall work done this morning at Bell Mitsubishi in Rahway NJ the dealership I purchased it from. Well I woke up at 6:30 am to get there for my 7:30am appointment and damn their service is horrible. They took my key's at 7:45 am I was the second person online, and I didn't leave til 10am after I called them out on the bull**** they were pulling on me. The work must have taken them 10 mins because I didn't see them take the car in, and from 8:30 - 10am the car was just sitting in the smae spot. At 9am I asked them when they planned on taking my car in because I didn't see them take it in, I was told "they are working on it right now" I told them I had class to get to. At 10 am it was still sitting in the same spot so I went into the Service Dept and said the car has been sitting in the same spot for 2 hours what's doing on, and you said they were working on it. Well it turned out the car was done for 2 hours they just didn't feel like closing out the paper work for my car. They were going to have me just sit there and miss class becuse they are lazy as ****. I'll admit that the car was worked on because when I got in my car I was going to pass out from the fumes of the insulator they installed. They made an excuse that the insulator needed to cure and sit before getting driven.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 05:46 PM

All we do is apply a little 3M sealer right above the pinchweld were it wasn't sealed right from factory, Then put some overspray on it. We also pull down the O2 wire connector to check for corrosion in the harness. We do a leak test to see if water leaks down under the driver and passanger seat... which consist of running water on the fresh air vents and feeling under the carpet for moisture. The recall usually takes us a half an hour to complete depending on if we find a problem of not. The sealer takes a while to dry, thats why we usually wait before we ship them out..

It is an open recall on all Lancer at this point and all Outlanders.
Please go to your local dealership and have them check on the dealerlink to see if your vehicel has an open recall..
Old Sep 12, 2003, 05:53 AM

Falconsra-Thanks for the informative reply. By "open recall" do you mean it covers ALL Lancers & Outlanders? Why have some owners on this list gotten recall letters & some have not (I haven't)?

Thanks,

Dan

BTW what exact 3m product do you use? Frankly, I'd rather just do it myself.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

I'd rather do it myself as well. Do you have any pictures or diagrams to show where it was actually sealed?

Quick Reply: Recall info. [MERGED]