Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recall info. [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall!!!!!!

Just got word from mitsu in miami that there a recall on most evos now.....its the ECU wiring harness....seems like the seal around the harness where it goes to the firewall is screwed from the factory cause corossion on the wires when it rains......mine is going in monday morning to bill seidles in miami to get it re sealed....just thought u guys might wanna check up with your local deal and check your vin# to see if your evo is one of the affected ones.......just trying to keep the evo community informed of the info i get .... hope this helps... oh and remember on recals they cant do squat about warranty no matter the mods or miles on the vehicle so dont be affraid to show up modded to any dealer....
Old Aug 2, 2003, 03:03 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
really? When was your build date or the affected ones?
Old Aug 2, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Yes...keep us posted on that!
Old Aug 2, 2003, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

dont know the date but i do know its alo tof them .....i hope u guys check in with your dealers and give them the last 8 of your vin theyll tell u then if your on the list or not ...the fix is only 2hours of workso they can re seal it
Old Aug 2, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Any way to check without going through the dealer?

From my 6yrs of experience with them....Their pretty clueless when it comes to news.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

How does the ecu wiring harness corode when it rains when the ecu is inside the car?
Old Aug 2, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

i dont know and i dont care...all i know its the same recall that the outlander has and also i saw with my own eyes on there computer that a recall apeared titled wiring harness corosion.....i dont care how or why all i care i taking it on mday and getting it fixed....thats all that matters i didnt pay 30k for a car to start falling apart because of small mistakes from w/e it may be or how ever clueless they are neglecting recals can void the warranty on the part......so im not in the mood to pay over a 1k for a whole new wiring for my evo after a few years....im just passing down the info
Old Aug 2, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm.... I wonder if this is a process to prohibit ECU tampering?
Old Aug 2, 2003, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SSKILLA
i dont know and i dont care...all i know its the same recall that the outlander has and also i saw with my own eyes on there computer that a recall apeared titled wiring harness corosion.....i dont care how or why all i care i taking it on mday and getting it fixed....thats all that matters i didnt pay 30k for a car to start falling apart because of small mistakes from w/e it may be or how ever clueless they are neglecting recals can void the warranty on the part......so im not in the mood to pay over a 1k for a whole new wiring for my evo after a few years....im just passing down the info
I hope you didn't take offense to me asking that. I wasn't doubting you. Just wondering how it happens.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:03 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

I couldn't find the Recall for the Evo specifically, but here is the Outlander one:
Make: MITSUBISHI

Model: OUTLANDER

Year: 2003

Recall Number: 03V194000

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, WATER COULD ENTER THE FRONT FLOORBOARD AREA FROM OPENINGS IN THE SIDE SILL OR UPPER DASH AREA. THIS WATER COULD COLLECT UNDER THE SEAT AND CAUSE ELECTRICAL CORROSION TO OCCUR IN THE HARNESS CONNECTORS THAT CONTAIN THE WIRING FOR THE SEATBELT PRE-TENSIONER, SIDE AIR BAG IMPACT SENSOR, AND STOP LAMPS.

Consequence:
ELECTRICAL CORROSION OF THE HARNESS COULD CAUSE THE SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER TO MALFUNCTION, THE SIDE AIR BAG NOT TO DEPLOY AND/OR THE BRAKE LAMPS NOT TO ILLUMINATE OR TO FALSELY ILLUMINATE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE SIDE SILLS AND DASH PANEL FOR OPENINGS THAT MAY ALLOW WATER LEAKAGE INTO THE VEHICLE CABIN. IN ADDITION TO SEALING ANY OPENINGS THAT MAY BE FOUND, THE WIRING CONNECTORS WILL BE INSPECTED FOR SIGNS OF ELECTRICAL CORROSION. THE FLOOR HARNESS WILL BE REPLACED IF IT HAS ANY SIGNS OF WATER DAMAGE OR ELECTRICAL CORROSION. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 23, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT MITSUBISHI AT 1-800-222-0037.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I want to see one specifically for the Evo before I drag my *** into the dealer for no reason...
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

I just talked to a rep at Mitsubishi on the phone and there is indeed a recall. What exactly will they be doing? My guess is put a better gromit and seal the hell out of it. I looked and can't find anything wrong with it. I even took the heat extractor sheild off the hood and drove in the rain quite a bit.

Last edited by stvbreal; Aug 2, 2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

There is a sticker where the door closes

It will say when the build date was on your car
Old Aug 2, 2003, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the heads up..
Old Aug 3, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

yes its the same **** as the outlander.....see i told you there was a recall..you dont have to drive to a dealer call and ask just give them your vin# and theyll tell you whats so hard about picking up a phone and calling....im just trying to help you guys out by passing the info on .....hopefully we dont have any more recalls though this **** is a mission......

Quick Reply: Recall info. [MERGED]