Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it worth putting in an aftermarket intake?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth putting in an aftermarket intake?

Just asking members if it is worth putting in an aftermarket intake? Im not asking which is the best or what shape filter is better because there is a million opinions out there. Like the whole what exhaust is best for power and sound, etc. BUT i just want to know if you can see significant gains from an aftermarket intake versus stock air box with drop in KN filter.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
nope not unless you get a tune....just go with the stock airbox and get a drop in filter
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

just use a drop in. youll see gains if you get a tune versus no tune, nothing amazing but non the less youll see a gain on the chart.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

If you want spool sound and DV noise, yes. Don't do an intake unless you plan on a tune in the near future.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the dropp in K&N is a great unit
Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

I dont think there is much power gains when comparing a cone filter to a drop in. the difference is the noises. The power is in the piping, a couple have tuners have told me the "accordian" intake pipe causes turbulence in the turbo making the turbo less efficient.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The stock airbox is fine for a lightly modded car. K&N drop in is perfect.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philevo
I dont think there is much power gains when comparing a cone filter to a drop in. the difference is the noises. The power is in the piping, a couple have tuners have told me the "accordian" intake pipe causes turbulence in the turbo making the turbo less efficient.
I've heard that as well, but MAF sensors are ultra sensative. The stock pipe does well, but the metal aftermarket intake pipes don't, even with a tune sometimes. The MAF sensor needs to be shielded of outside distrubances and the stock accordian pipe helps with that. Turn your car on, slam the hood down, and listen to the car almost stall. That's an example of how sensative they are. If you have loud noises or vibrations outside the car, the idle might act funny or stall the car.

I think cone filters are fine, but the intake pipes are where the problem lies in drivability. I had a K&N panel filter and then I went Bushur air filter (still using stock pipe) and it feels better, but that could be just the placebo effect.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Burklow
I've heard that as well, but MAF sensors are ultra sensative. The stock pipe does well, but the metal aftermarket intake pipes don't, even with a tune sometimes. The MAF sensor needs to be shielded of outside distrubances and the stock accordian pipe helps with that. Turn your car on, slam the hood down, and listen to the car almost stall. That's an example of how sensative they are. If you have loud noises or vibrations outside the car, the idle might act funny or stall the car.

I think cone filters are fine, but the intake pipes are where the problem lies in drivability. I had a K&N panel filter and then I went Bushur air filter (still using stock pipe) and it feels better, but that could be just the placebo effect.
you are correct, I forgot to mention how sensitive the MAF is. Even with my tune idle is still a little funny the car acts like it will stall, but only sometimes.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philevo
you are correct, I forgot to mention how sensitive the MAF is. Even with my tune idle is still a little funny the car acts like it will stall, but only sometimes.
Yeah, but if I ran speed density with AEM EMS, I'd definitely ditch the stock intake pipe.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
the dropp in K&N is a great unit
Like rob said.. great mod. Just don't run an open BOX filter modification... if you do a search u'll see what i mean. Makes ur BOV sound loud and all, but filter gets DIRTY FAST!!! lmao..

Anything else, you'll need a TUNE asap
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
quick question guys? okay so i have the aem short ram intake system...would it be better if i put the stock pipe back on and put a cone filter on that or how should i do this since it seems better to not use the aem pipe???
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Buy the Typhoon seriously

not really
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Having all three (K&N drop in, AMS filter kit, and AEM intake) I would definitely go with the AMS filter kit. K&N drop in was nice, no sound, AMS filter kit felt more responsive with more turbo sounds, and to tell the truth the AEM intake didn't feel much different than the AMS kit.

For a little more reponse, sounds; get the AMS filter kit.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:31 PM

k&n drop is your best bet IMHO . Dont have to deal with any potential MAF issues . Or be super baller and get an ARC cold air box =p

Quick Reply: Is it worth putting in an aftermarket intake?