Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Arrrrg

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrrrg

Ok fist list of stuff on my car (That i put on)

Apexi N1 cat back exhaust
Weapon racing CAI
Agp FMIC
Weapon Racing Load equalizer
Magnacore spark plug wires
Dynoflash Mail in Flash for all mods listed above

Ok now what the car is/has
03 lancer evo 8
59,000 miles
Has been messed with by some **** before me buying it. (I will provide examples if you wish)

Ok now the problem
The car wants to die (after it warms up) when i come to a stop and depress the clutch. RPM's can go as low as 250 for 1 second then jump back up to 1000. This is why i sent in the ecu to fix the random low idle but its doing it again. It has not stalled on me yett like it did before i got the ecu flashed but i have only had the flashed ecu in the car today. It does not do this all the time. Does it once then the RPM's are fine for a wile then it does it again. All the engine lights and oil and battery lights come on thats how close to stalling it gets. No check engine light!

Solutions? Problems? Please throw out any options i really need some help. BTW it did not do it when i fist got the car!

Spark plugs?
Boost leak?
Bad bov?
MAF dirty with oil?
Bad ground wire?
Catalatic converter plugged?

Im running into alot of possibilitys

I know the person before me had a electronic boost controller on it
The ecu wires right before the ecu were spliced into (piggie back unit?)
all the aftermarket was gone when i got the car!

Last edited by aspensvt16; Mar 27, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as long as all the spliced wires are now corrected im gonna say bad iac maybe?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

My bet would be on vacuum leak somewhere or iac.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:12 AM

Could it be from my boost gauge? I have all the hoses zip tied down tight
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aspensvt16
Could it be from my boost gauge? I have all the hoses zip tied down tight
Check your vacuum or boost gauge to see what the idle runs. Should be between -15 and -20 in hg.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:21 AM

Yes i read between -15 to -20 most of the time. It fluctuates durning different engine loads

Now i have the boost line tapped off the intake manifold to the fule pressure regulator vacume line. Is that right?

Where is the iac located on the evo? Is there anything special to replace it? is there a pill in the stock iac vacume line hose?

Last edited by aspensvt16; Mar 28, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost leak or possibly the car was tuned with the piggy back and it's not properly calibrated now that it was removed. Are you sure it doesnt have a VTA blow off valve?

Get rid of the Magnacore spark plug wires and put OEMs back on.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Boost leak or possibly the car was tuned with the piggy back and it's not properly calibrated now that it was removed. Are you sure it doesnt have a VTA blow off valve?

Get rid of the Magnacore spark plug wires and put OEMs back on.
+1

I would also think about putting the stock intake back on and seeing if that fixes your problem.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Yes i read between -15 to -20 most of the time. It fluctuates durning different engine loads

Now i have the boost line tapped off the intake manifold to the fule pressure regulator vacume line. Is that right?

Where is the iac located on the evo? Is there anything special to replace it? is there a pill in the stock iac vacume line hose?
I used the FPR line as well. Works fine. It sounds like your MAF/intake is the problem. Let me take a guess...the stock black plastic accordian intake pipe was replaced? Aftermarket ones just play mind games with MAF sensors.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:20 PM

I have the stock plastic POS BOV all evo 8's come with!
Yes it i got rid of the stock pipe from the intake but i thought that the flash would take care of the aftermarket CAI messing with the MAF?
I did have a BUNCH of oil on the MAF sensor that i cleaned with CFC MAF cleaner! so i dont think its that. I do have the MAF mounted upside down due to clearance issues when mounting the CIA.

When i put back on the old intake the car did not die but would idle around 800-900 rpm and would still act like it wanted to die when coming to a stop and depressing the clutch!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

I definitely would not have the maf upside down, and the oil in the maf worries me. Check and make sure the turbo wheel is ok.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by LONS200GT
I definitely would not have the maf upside down, and the oil in the maf worries me. Check and make sure the turbo wheel is ok.
Does it really make a difference if the maf is upside down? Also I know the oil was from the pcv valve. Turbo wheel is fine no play in the shaft when i wiggled it. Also intercooler pipe had a little residue of oil but just barly enough to leave a film on your fingers.

I have another question? the 100 amp fuse right off the positive of the battery what does that go to! Altenator? Starter?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I have the stock plastic POS BOV all evo 8's come with!
Yes it i got rid of the stock pipe from the intake but i thought that the flash would take care of the aftermarket CAI messing with the MAF?
I did have a BUNCH of oil on the MAF sensor that i cleaned with CFC MAF cleaner! so i dont think its that. I do have the MAF mounted upside down due to clearance issues when mounting the CIA.

When i put back on the old intake the car did not die but would idle around 800-900 rpm and would still act like it wanted to die when coming to a stop and depressing the clutch!
1st bet, I think that is the problem right there. Even if you cleaned it, it could be damaged. I hate how fragile they are. I wish our cars came stock with speed density sometimes.

2nd bet, your intake pipe is causing interference with the MAF. Even with a tune, there is nothing to shield the sensor from interference. The aftermarket pipe just amplifies noise and vibrations where as the accordion tube would lower it. There really isn't any gain to be had in replacing the pipe. The filter is where you'll see the power.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 03:06 PM

is the bov recirculated or venting?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whiteflash
is the bov recirculated or venting?
Should be recirc with the stock VIII DV unless he rigged something up. Well, if that intake pipe didn't have a spot for the DV hose, then it may very well be VTA.

A VTA leaky VIII DV is the new HKS SSQV.