Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

READ IMPORTANT FOR YOUR SAFETY : SRS Light - $1500+ part

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump for info
Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

bump for your safety

thanks for the clean up mods
Old Apr 5, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:30 PM

The SRS light came on in my Grand Prix like a month after I got it. Apparently the passenger side airbag could just deploy on it's own at any moment and had to be replaced. You hear things like that and it makes you think "well gee, I guess that could still happen at any time, whether that light comes on or not." I love safety.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:43 PM

This isn't a computer or seatbelt problem but rather a wiring issue. You mentioned that you had your horn go off as well. There is another thread about water leaking in the drivers footwell causing corrosion in the wiring and connectors. This has caused a myraid of strange electrical problems with all kinds of weird results. Pull the water shield on the drivers side wheelwell off and look for where the wiring goes through the firewall. That is where the leak is causing the corrosion. Other dealership fixes have included cutting out the corroded connectors and soldering the wires together then using heat shrink insulation on the connections. I'd be willing to bet that you will find your issues here.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:50 PM

Here is the thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=323902

It's a sticky in the interior electrical forums.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by itzwolf
The seat belts lock automatically if you tug them quickly, that is a standard safety feature on every car.

The sensor to deploy the air bags may be bad, but trust me your seat belts will lock during an accident.

Go to your car put the seat belt on then tug it very quickly, it will lock. Hard to explain how it works, but it takes a certain amount of pulling force on the seat belt to engage the locking mechanism.
Not the same thing. I think you are referring to webclamps, which are similar, but not quite the same. This is taken from Wikipedia:

* Pretensioners preemptively tighten the belt to prevent the occupant from jerking forward in a crash. Mercedes-Benz first introduced pretensioners on the 1981 S-Class. In the event of a crash, a pretensioner will tighten the belt almost instantaneously. This reduces the motion of the occupant in a violent crash. Like airbags, pretensioners are triggered by sensors in the car's body, and most pretensioners use explosively expanding gas to drive a piston that retracts the belt. Pretensioners also lower the risk of "submarining", which is when a passenger slides forward under a loosely worn seat belt.

* Webclamps clamp the webbing in the event of an accident and limit the distance the webbing can spool out (caused by the unused webbing tightening on the central drum of the mechanism) these belts also often incorporate an energy management loop ("rip stitching") which is when the lower part of the webbing is looped and stitched with a special stitching. The function of this is to "rip" at a predetermined load, which reduces the load transmitted through the belt to the occupant, reducing injuries to the occupant.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

dude! just avoid the pole :P
Old Apr 6, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
its a small explosive that locks the seatbelt into place when there is a crash. it perminitely locks the seatbelt into place from what i was told. its a new safety feature
Holy crap I got explosives in my car! AGGGGGHHHH!!!!!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shocky
dude! just avoid the pole :P
thats the plan
Old Apr 12, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My SRS light is on as well. Which dealership did you bring yours in if you don't mind?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

jerry's
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CanMan
Not the same thing. I think you are referring to webclamps, which are similar, but not quite the same. This is taken from Wikipedia:

* Pretensioners preemptively tighten the belt to prevent the occupant from jerking forward in a crash. Mercedes-Benz first introduced pretensioners on the 1981 S-Class. In the event of a crash, a pretensioner will tighten the belt almost instantaneously. This reduces the motion of the occupant in a violent crash. Like airbags, pretensioners are triggered by sensors in the car's body, and most pretensioners use explosively expanding gas to drive a piston that retracts the belt. Pretensioners also lower the risk of "submarining", which is when a passenger slides forward under a loosely worn seat belt.

* Webclamps clamp the webbing in the event of an accident and limit the distance the webbing can spool out (caused by the unused webbing tightening on the central drum of the mechanism) these belts also often incorporate an energy management loop ("rip stitching") which is when the lower part of the webbing is looped and stitched with a special stitching. The function of this is to "rip" at a predetermined load, which reduces the load transmitted through the belt to the occupant, reducing injuries to the occupant.
I know there is a difference, the point of my post was to inform OP that his seatbelts will still infact "work" to keep him from cruising through the windshield and are not just a designer belt to prevent click-it tickets

Far as pretensioners, I actually was not sure if we had them or not. It's not something that I have looked into otherwise.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

sucks

Quick Reply: READ IMPORTANT FOR YOUR SAFETY : SRS Light - $1500+ part