Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

READ IMPORTANT FOR YOUR SAFETY : SRS Light - $1500+ part

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
READ IMPORTANT FOR YOUR SAFETY : SRS Light - $1500+ part

So a few months ago the SRS light comes on. I go to dealer they see its a seatbelt code, they clear it. 2 days later SRS light comes back on. I have little free time so like a month later i go back to dealer and they say ok we are gunna replace your driverside seatbelt because the explosive thing that locks the belt in place in a crash is bad. Ok... so i been driving around with a broken seatbelt. So i go back and get it put in, it was like a ~$600 part (under warrenty). I leave and a week later light comes back on. Well once again because i have little time i wait like 6+ weeks to go back to them. I go back today and they tell me its the same code and now they are going to replace the whole SRS computer costing them about ~$1500 (under warrenty). The worst part is i have been driving around for like 3+ months without anything working. If i crash into a pole at 50mph no air bags will deploy and my seatbelts probablly wont lock into place properlly. There ARE NONE OF THESE COMPUTERS IN US. Ships from Japan, will arive in LA in a week, then another week to go cross country to MD.

Moral of the story: if your SRS light comes on get it fixed ASAP

Anyone else had this happen?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

bump for your safety apparentlly no one cares
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I deal with **** like this all the time on the european cars I work on. 10 bux says the computer doesn't fix it either.

Most all dealership guys are just parts swappers anymore, very few good technicians left. I doubt the even checked over any of the wiring.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

whats the Explosive thing that locks the seat belt into place.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
I deal with **** like this all the time on the european cars I work on. 10 bux says the computer doesn't fix it either.

Most all dealership guys are just parts swappers anymore, very few good technicians left. I doubt the even checked over any of the wiring.

nope took em 5 minutes to say well the seatbelt didnt fix it, lets to the computer now lol
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joshs EVO
its a small explosive that locks the seatbelt into place when there is a crash. it perminitely locks the seatbelt into place from what i was told. its a new safety feature
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joshs EVO
Theres a small charge located on the latch portion of the seatbelt nowadays. Called a pretensioner usually. When you get into a wreck the system pops the charge, and it pulls down on the latch and therefore tightens the belts up on you, keeping you from moving much.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

^ yea thats what i ment
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

That's messed up. Hopefully the computer fixes it. It wouldn't surprise me though if it didn't. My wife is dealing with a ridiculous mess getting an oil leak fixed on her Mini for the last 3 weeks. It has been pretty clear that the techs don't really know what they are doing. I don't imagine Mitsu dealerships are much better. Good luck and hopefully it doesn't happen to me.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bwesley82
That's messed up. Hopefully the computer fixes it. It wouldn't surprise me though if it didn't. My wife is dealing with a ridiculous mess getting an oil leak fixed on her Mini for the last 3 weeks. It has been pretty clear that the techs don't really know what they are doing. I don't imagine Mitsu dealerships are much better. Good luck and hopefully it doesn't happen to me.
Probably a **** poor oil change or the oil cooler seal?

I'd almost bet theres something up with the wiring on your evo Silver. Something could have jerked on the wires under the seat and broken a wire inside the insulation. I've dealt with much worse.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

yea i think so too. during this whole problem one day my horn starting beeping on its own. i replaces the fuse, still beeped on its own. took fuse out so it stopped, took it to dealer and they put a fuse in it and it stopped. of course when i took it there problem went away. hasnt happened again since but this makes me think its an electrical problem
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

No SRS light for me....yet. I hope the computer fixes it, so you can stop screwing around with the dealership and get back to enjoy your evo
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini

Very true. I work at a car dealership. That's exactly how it is.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

are you serious? ^^
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The seat belts lock automatically if you tug them quickly, that is a standard safety feature on every car.

The sensor to deploy the air bags may be bad, but trust me your seat belts will lock during an accident.

Go to your car put the seat belt on then tug it very quickly, it will lock. Hard to explain how it works, but it takes a certain amount of pulling force on the seat belt to engage the locking mechanism.

Quick Reply: READ IMPORTANT FOR YOUR SAFETY : SRS Light - $1500+ part