Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flywheel Bolts stuck

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flywheel Bolts stuck

ok so im doing a clutch install on my evo and 4 of the 7 flywheel bolts are stuck. ive tried a 240 lb/ft impact wrench and that only got the first 3 off. the rest were rounded. ive tried the nut extraction tool and that didnt work along with drenching the bolt with liquid wrench. so im stuck and need this car by friday to be done so i can get my suspension done. So Please Help ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so you rounded the bolts off?

you can try to take like a cutting wheel and cut a slot through the bolt head. then take a impact driver with a flat head bit and beat on that and it might get them out. thats kinda like a last resort though
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two legit options. 1. Get a torch and heat the bolts up and then try to impact them off. 2. if bolts are rounded off, get a grinding wheel and grind the heads off the bolts. The flywheel will slide off the bolts and you can get to the threads.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The torch may help. An impact is the best way to remove flywheel bolts, BUT at a minimum you need to use 6 point true impact sockets, and make sure they are a very close, tight fit, then hold the gun on in such a way that it can't slip off and round the bolts themselves. There are also special impact sockets that are available that fit rounded bolts. I've had to use them on flywheel bolts that others rounded off during installation, and they are lifesavers in that situation. Sears has a set that grip rounded heads tighter the more torque you put on them.

You can leave the discussion of "cutting the heads off" as a last resort, s sometimes the remainder is frozen into the crank and it's more difficult to remove them after the heads are removed...