Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Mistake or Not
Mistake all over again
47.59%
No mistake
33.45%
not sure
18.97%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the evo x is only 200lbs heavier guys
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
As the quote in my sig suggests, a friend and I recently discussed this and came to the same conclusion lol

The Eclipse went from being a DSM beast to a V6 "chick car" if you'll pardon the phrase. Basically, what used to be made for performance modification suddenly became a more relaxed cruiser for the "neon and rims" generation. It's difficult to say it's a bad car, but certainly not what it once was.

The same can be said for the Evo. Its heart was the 4G and the modifying potential it offered. Now we have a brand new alluminum block, and while it may stand some abuse, it's doubtful it will ever be as rock solid as the 4G. Add to that the extra weight and new transmission and you see what Mitsubishi is going for; a more relaxed car designed for the masses. Again, not a bad car, but in my not-so-humble opinion, not an Evo. A Lancer Evolution, sure, sounds way more sophisticated, but when I hear Evo I'll always think of the I-IX's.

Last edited by rane; Apr 4, 2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

the evo X is not a mistake ask anyone that has bought one and they will tell you they love it. I plan to buy an evo X in the near future, I am NOT getting rid of my IX though.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:40 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it was about time that they change the evo to preserve the I-IX heritage. new engine, new body style and new direction. They haven't been as prolific WRC winners since they change to the CT9A platform for Group A because of the change in rules. Just to keep the "rally heritage" and preserve it in the I-IX, it is good that they evolved the evo for the streets. Time will tell if it will be as successful as the older evo's. but knowing mitsubishi, they will never go back to the 4G63 even if the enthusiasts crowd demand it, especially if the X turns out to be a hotseller.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by dustin03
I have been in the market looking for a Evo 9 and have relized how hard they are to find, but everytime I call a dealership they offer me the New Evo X. When I tell them no they tell me "they are having a hard time selling th X"

So here is what I'm asking do you think Mitsubishi has made the same mistake that they made in 2000 with the Eclipse? When they changed the body style and the motor revamped the hole car just like they have done with the Evo.
If youre still in the market for an IX check this thread out...i saw it right before i checked out this thread...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=324111
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

The economy is crappy right now -- all the car manufacturers sales numbers are down, its harder to get a loan, rates are higher, and frankly none of that bodes well for a $35k Mitsu.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't mind the X, you have plenty of leverage to negotiate a great deal.

Although it would probably be a loss leader, I would have enjoyed making a stripped down X track version with rollcage as some other manufacturers do for their track-going enthusiasts.

If you want what many will call a "Real" Evo, seek out the IX. If you want a more well rounded car, start negotiating for that X!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Too expensive, but otherwise a great car. Ill keep my IX for several more years at least.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

it's because they priced a 30K car at 38K

no other reason
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rane
As the quote in my sig suggests, a friend and I recently discussed this and came to the same conclusion lol

The Eclipse went from being a DSM beast to a V6 "chick car" if you'll pardon the phrase. Basically, what used to be made for performance modification suddenly became a more relaxed cruiser for the "neon and rims" generation. It's difficult to say it's a bad car, but certainly not what it once was.

The same can be said for the Evo. Its heart was the 4G and the modifying potential it offered. Now we have a brand new alluminum block, and while it may stand some abuse, it's doubtful it will ever be as rock solid as the 4G. Add to that the extra weight and new transmission and you see what Mitsubishi is going for; a more relaxed car designed for the masses. Again, not a bad car, but in my not-so-humble opinion, not an Evo. A Lancer Evolution, sure, sounds way more sophisticated, but when I hear Evo I'll always think of the I-IX's.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys.........don't forget that as 'raw' a car the IX is, it doesn't appeal to a wide range of buyers. Few buyers want to put up with the ride quality, lack of features, noise, etc. that comes with the IX, regardless of the performance.

True enthusiasts like us are a very small percentage of the car-buying public. I don't think Mitsubishi is in the business of making factory racecars..........they want to sell a large number of cars that appeal to more buyers, and more buyers = more $$$.

With that said, I think the X is a step in the right direction for Mitsu. Those cars should appeal to alot more people, and I think they'll sell a lot more than the VIII's and IX's. Although for us VIII and IX owners, I think we have the last of a dying breed.........basically a street-legal race car.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to add one more thing.....

The one thing I like about the Evo VIII and IX's is that I can get a ton of performance without spending a ton of money, and having a bunch of luxury features I'm not interested in.

Take a 3-series BMW, for example. Great handling, decent power, tons of luxury features, and great fit and finish.

Interestingly, the Evo X, with its improved fit and finish, added saftey features, etc, is approaching the price of an entry-level 3-series BMW.

I wonder how many potential Evo X buyers are contemplating the same thing I am........I think you can get a base 335i (twin-turbo six, with a good amount of mod potential) for less than $40K.

I guess I liked it better when I had my choice of a raw performance car (Evo) or a refined, luxury performance car (BMW, for example). The lines are starting to become blurred..........
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
The economy is crappy right now -- all the car manufacturers sales numbers are down, its harder to get a loan, rates are higher, and frankly none of that bodes well for a $35k Mitsu.

I would have considered it for 35k... but 40k just tipped the scales (MORE FOR SST!!)

So instead i went for a used IX... Your loss mitsubishi.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yodobashi
I think that the economy, along with a lack of having to wait for the car are both what is working against Mitsubishi this time. You have to remember that back in 2003, when the VIII first hit our shores, it had sort of already been out since 2001 in the form of the VII, the first CT9A. There where already highly tuned versions in Japan by 2003. If Mitsubishi wanted an instant sales hit, they should've released the X in Japan only, for a couple of years and left us all drooling in the US without a current Evo. Then they could have released it like the VIII, as the exclusive and sought (not to mention drooled) after performance car. The "it" car. But, I think pressure from Subaru's new Impreza and possibly Nissan's new GTR may have pushed them to get the X over here for fear of losing possible sales and market presence.

As for the extra weight of the X, it's pretty minor and even if Mitsubishi had continued the IX for another year or two for the U.S. market, and decided to just update it's safety features, people would have complained because it would have gained weight anyways. The Evo has been at the top of the most expensive cars to insure for a while now and that probably wasn't going to change without a complete evolution involving a whole new body. It's an AWD sports sedan, not a 240SX. It's gonna be heavy, get over it and break out the angle grinders.

As much as everyone loves the 4G63, with emissions laws getting more and more strict, it was just a matter of time before the 4G was either neutered by restrictive emissions or replaced. It's just a matter of evolution. Sure, Chevy may still have their beloved small block V8 but that will eventually change. The can continue to build V8's forever without anything to power them. Fewer people are willing to drop 50 grand on a car that they can only afford to drive every once in a while, compared to cars they can drive everyday. Those (in this case Chevy) who refuse to evolve with change, will be left on the wayside. The 4B11 may or may not (I don't know) be more efficient than the outgoing 4G63, but things are changing. And as the Lancer Evolution has evolved, change has usually been a good thing. I guess what I'm getting to is that one day when oil energy supplies are so depleted that we all have to be driving 1.0 liter three cylinder, (hopefully force-induced) K-cars, we won't be the ones standing still, stuck with an ancient engine design that has a thirst that only an ultra-rare dino fuel can satisfy.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the evoX was a great move. the next years model or after I know they will increase performance capabilities with the new motor. I put money next year will be stock at 340hp!. Come on guys give them a break. its a whole new approach they are doing for us. give them 1 year. They first had to settle the looks and yaw control. now that is done they can work on more power.

Quick Reply: Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again