Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Mistake or Not
Mistake all over again
47.59%
No mistake
33.45%
not sure
18.97%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoDom
the evo x is only 200lbs heavier guys
lol sry but your wrong. you must have a x
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they turn away from the demographic they were previously marketing to? Yes. But IMO they made it more appealing to a broader market. Its still competitive with its counterparts on the market. They're in it to sell more cars. Now whether or not they did it the right way...*shrugs*
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dustin03
I have been in the market looking for a Evo 9 and have relized how hard they are to find, but everytime I call a dealership they offer me the New Evo X. When I tell them no they tell me "they are having a hard time selling th X"

So here is what I'm asking do you think Mitsubishi has made the same mistake that they made in 2000 with the Eclipse? When they changed the body style and the motor revamped the hole car just like they have done with the Evo.
This is absolutely no surprise... I don't really understand why people didn't see this coming. If you look at the history of the Evo, they have explicityly and completely revamped the car exactly every three iterations. I-III was the first set, then came the IV-VI (and the VI was the last actual rally Evo mind you) and then came VII-IX - which blew up sales in Europe. There was no reason for them to not continue this development style. And I guarantee it that the Evo XIII will be completely different.

Originally Posted by AznX TL
its because its not a 4g63.
well thats my grudge against the new evo x, its not an evo unless it has a 4g63.
The 4G63 has been in more cars than just the Evo. Although I do agree with you, the 4G63 has been the Evo engine since it's inception in the Evo I; and for this reason, it has been tried and tested to no end has proven to be one of the best 2.0L engines ever made... Bottom line though, unfortunately, it's cheaper for Mitsubishi to use the world engine based 4B11 than try to develop the fully closed deck monster that is the 4G63. It's a shame really, but who knows, perhaps in time it will too be tried and tested and developed into an awesome engine. Honestly though, I'm not expecting the 4B11 to come to it's pinnacle state in the X. Perhaps XI or XII ... we'll see.

Originally Posted by premo
Eh, I like the X, but I like my IX better. Then again, I miss the days of lightweight cars, without all the electronic nonsense, and all the safety stuff. The Evo X is a beautiful car, but it's a little grown up for what I'm looking for in a car I'm going to mod.
The Evo's foundation is that of the electronic nonsense. The only reason we had the pleasure - if you can call it that - of having Evo's without the full electronic make up they were meant to have, is because of emissions equipment that did not allow Mitsubishi to install certain parts in the USDM Evos. From day one, the Evo has always been about winning with technological advancement. The fact that the Evo X finally has it is a blessing, and it's strongest selling point. I wish my IX had AYC. If it did, it would be hands down, the best Evo for the money in the US.

IMHO, I don't think they made a mistake persay, they need sales, and they need it badly, so they're shooting for a bigger market. I think it's pretty much just that.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:57 AM

I have been in the market looking for a Evo 9 and have relized how hard they are to find, but everytime I call a dealership they offer me the New Evo X. When I tell them no they tell me "they are having a hard time selling th X"

So here is what I'm asking do you think Mitsubishi has made the same mistake that they made in 2000 with the Eclipse? When they changed the body style and the motor revamped the hole car just like they have done with the Evo.
Have the dealers mentioned the huge markup most of them are putting on these cars? I know here it atlanta that the ones at MSRP are flying off the shelves and the ones with the 5k markup are just sitting.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
its just too expensive, the dealers here are charging 42k.

for reference my mother just picked up a zero mile BMW z4 loaded to the teeth (premium package, sport package, m-seats) for 37k

which would you pick?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

I hate to say this but its a damn Dodge SRT4 with an audi TT front end. Not an EVO at all.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:47 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Don't compare the turdgen Eclispe to an Evo, man. That car went NA V6 and no AWD option.

At least the X in the US gets SAYC. We got hosed on the VIII and IX.

I've had all three iterations of Evo in the USA, and the X is the most hardcore of all of them as far as handling and track potential goes. This is my favorite Evo yet.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:50 AM
FLK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TiALSport
it's because they priced a 30K car at 38K

no other reason

Base Evo X quote from Aspen Mitsubishi CA - $29,814
Base Evo X quote from South Coast CA - $30,558

Don't believe? Look them up and ask for quote.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

i heard the same out here. The X is not selling. They raised the price, it looks just like a lancer, we're on the edges of a recession.

All the car manufacturers are struggling.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

For me Evo X is the first true Evo. I've always respected this car for performance, but the ugly looks and complete absence of comfort were preventing me from getting it. Yes, the IX and below are ugly, not as ugly as Subarus, but still look like cans with big wing.
I don't care if the X is .2 second slower. It is a real car and finally a real Evo and I'm getting one
Well done, Mitsu!

Last edited by Mojito; Apr 4, 2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

+1......I also had an EVO 8 MR and I think that this EVO is by far the best built and is MILES ahead of my 8 and I have noticed this in the 1500 miles I have put on this evo so far.

Originally Posted by Noize
Don't compare the turdgen Eclispe to an Evo, man. That car went NA V6 and no AWD option.

At least the X in the US gets SAYC. We got hosed on the VIII and IX.

I've had all three iterations of Evo in the USA, and the X is the most hardcore of all of them as far as handling and track potential goes. This is my favorite Evo yet.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, your comparison is not a good one at all between the Eclipse and the Evo.

The Eclipse changed from Turbo to N/A, and it also lost the AWD. BOTH of those were huge selling point with Eclipse and tuner fans.

The Evo retains both a turbo, AND AWD. So it is in no way similar to the transformations the Eclipse went though!!!!

VERY BAD COMPARISON!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

how can this arguement start now. the car hasn't even been out that long and people are still trying to decide its fate. give it time.... i personally bought my IX for that rugged fun ride, that to me was an evolution and it always has until now. the X is a bad *** car but it just wasn't the one for me... i like it but i liked the older models more. and quite seriously it comes down to preference.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

The 4B11T is just as good as the 4G63. Get off that engines nut sack people. The X has been out for barely any time and shops are squeezing amazing HP out of them already. It is always like this with every new design...all the people with the last ones are bitter about not being able to get the new one and take it out on the car.

PS: The X handles better than the IX.

With that said I don't think there has been a bad EVO ever and this one is no exceptions. In fact I am enjoying some of the extra refinement they have added and I am glad for some of the boy racer look that it has lost.

Another thing is that this is nothing like the eclipse redesign. The eclipse lost AWD and the turbo...that is what made the new eclipses suck.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You EVO 9 guys are funny. To make yourselves feel better about your 9 you criticize the X when you know so little about it. Mitsu didn't watter the car down to appeal to the masses, they kept the performance but added a bit of refinement and style. The focus of the new car was the AWD system and new chassis, which delivers handling that a 9 just can't match. The chassis added some weight because of how stiff and well reinforced it is, but it's a worthwhile sacrifice if you are a true track guy. I'm surprised that the new motor is receiving such criticism when even MARTIN MUSIAL, the president of AMS, says it's a badass motor. So it may be aluminum block, but the internals are stronger than the 4g63, and the heads flow better. Coil on plug ignition, e-throttle, mivec on both cams now, etc. It's making more power mod for mod than the 4g63 does, and although it will probably top out at around 700 hp instead of the 1000 that the 4g6 can hold, up until that mark it seems to be the better motor. It's just childish behavior if you ask me. Badmouthing a car to feel better about your own. Say what you want, but there is a reason that all the magazines love it so much. Oh, and don't ever compare the evo to the new eclipse. The reason that those aren't popular tuner cars anymore is because they lost the turbo and the awd, which for the target market was actually a good idea. The new eclipses are no longer performance oriented, but they have sold better than the old ones ever did. Totally different marketing strategy.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 4, 2008 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again