Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Mistake or Not
Mistake all over again
47.59%
No mistake
33.45%
not sure
18.97%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just think its so ironic that people are saying the new evolution isnt a "true" EVO when the name of the car is EVOLUTION.

Also funny how people keep bringing up weight when every evo from 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 has gone UP in weight.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Protostar1
You buy an Evo for a raw, violent ride that takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. The X is not such a car.
+1

The X is a nice car. I'm not looking for a "nice" car.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Apr 4, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Just sucks that the new EVO X motor is also in the DODGE caliber SRT.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

One of my biggest gripes about the Evo X is that it looks too much like the new Lancer. You can tell the difference between the older Lancers and the Evo VIII and IX right away. Another concern is the Lancer Ralliarts that will be coming out. They have the same engine, albeit detuned, and AWD system as the Evo Xs but are thousands less. It detracts away from the uniqueness and exclusivity.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
You EVO 9 guys are funny. To make yourselves feel better about your 9 you criticize the X when you know so little about it. Mitsu didn't watter the car down to appeal to the masses, they kept the performance but added a bit of refinement and style. The focus of the new car was the AWD system and new chassis, which delivers handling that a 9 just can't match. The chassis added some weight because of how stiff and well reinforced it is, but it's a worthwhile sacrifice if you are a true track guy. I'm surprised that the new motor is receiving such criticism when even MARTIN MUSIAL, the president of AMS, says it's a badass motor. So it may be aluminum block, but the internals are stronger than the 4g63, and the heads flow better. Coil on plug ignition, e-throttle, mivec on both cams now, etc. It's making more power mod for mod than the 4g63 does, and although it will probably top out at around 700 hp instead of the 1000 that the 4g6 can hold, up until that mark it seems to be the better motor. It's just childish behavior if you ask me. Badmouthing a car to feel better about your own. Say what you want, but there is a reason that all the magazines love it so much. Oh, and don't ever compare the evo to the new eclipse. The reason that those aren't popular tuner cars anymore is because they lost the turbo and the awd, which for the target market was actually a good idea. The new eclipses are no longer performance oriented, but they have sold better than the old ones ever did. Totally different marketing strategy.

lol
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Don't compare the turdgen Eclispe to an Evo, man. That car went NA V6 and no AWD option.

At least the X in the US gets SAYC. We got hosed on the VIII and IX.

I've had all three iterations of Evo in the USA, and the X is the most hardcore of all of them as far as handling and track potential goes. This is my favorite Evo yet.
i think you went a little to far.......x the most hardcore out of the viii ix i think not

dont get me wrong i like the x for what it is
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:32 PM

VIII sold well because it had such hype that dealerships marked up the price and they still sold.

IX's didn't exactly fly off the shelf either. Dealers eventually stopped marking up the car's price and it still didn't sell like hotcakes. Mitsu discontinued it, stating that there would not be a 07 model and then it sold more cars, but the IX's basically trickled out of showrooms.

EVO's are enthusiast cars. I appreciate that Mitsu are trying to mainstream it, but I agree with most of you here that a $38K+ Lancer is not going to hit it off with the average Joe.

I mean my best friend has heard all about my Rally inspired EVO, but still thinks an IS300 is a better car.

tk
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

where is this 38,000 business keeps coming from....you can get a base X for around 30,000 which has about the same options with the addition of better suspension and S-AWC as the EVO 9
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
One of my biggest gripes about the Evo X is that it looks too much like the new Lancer. You can tell the difference between the older Lancers and the Evo VIII and IX right away. Another concern is the Lancer Ralliarts that will be coming out. They have the same engine, albeit detuned, and AWD system as the Evo Xs but are thousands less. It detracts away from the uniqueness and exclusivity.
Ugh, it's NOT the same engine as the caliber. It's the same block with different sleeves and weaker internals. It's also got a smaller turbo, different head, and the list goes on. Second, the motor that will be coming in the ralliart is the same deal as the caliber, except with even less displacement. This has been done with almost every manufacturers line of cars since the dawn of time and it's no different with mitsubishi. Hell, Subaru used the same block in the US SPEC wrx as the JDM STi, but yet again with weaker internals and components. All that the STi is is a more race built version of the WRX, which is a more race built version of the 2.5 RS. Until now, the EVO was just a race built version of the lancer with no mid-range model. And also, the AWD system is way different. The rear end uses a different limited slip with no AYC, and the rest of the system is different as well. The chassis is much less reinforced, and the wheels and tires, etc. It's the same thing as the WRX when compared to the STi. Jesus, why do I have to explain this to you? Do some research before you open your mouth next time, "expert."
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

You EVO 9 guys are funny. To make yourselves feel better about your 9 you criticize the X when you know so little about it. Mitsu didn't watter the car down to appeal to the masses, they kept the performance but added a bit of refinement and style. The focus of the new car was the AWD system and new chassis, which delivers handling that a 9 just can't match. The chassis added some weight because of how stiff and well reinforced it is, but it's a worthwhile sacrifice if you are a true track guy. I'm surprised that the new motor is receiving such criticism when even MARTIN MUSIAL, the president of AMS, says it's a badass motor. So it may be aluminum block, but the internals are stronger than the 4g63, and the heads flow better. Coil on plug ignition, e-throttle, mivec on both cams now, etc. It's making more power mod for mod than the 4g63 does, and although it will probably top out at around 700 hp instead of the 1000 that the 4g6 can hold, up until that mark it seems to be the better motor. It's just childish behavior if you ask me. Badmouthing a car to feel better about your own. Say what you want, but there is a reason that all the magazines love it so much. Oh, and don't ever compare the evo to the new eclipse. The reason that those aren't popular tuner cars anymore is because they lost the turbo and the awd, which for the target market was actually a good idea. The new eclipses are no longer performance oriented, but they have sold better than the old ones ever did. Totally different marketing strategy.
+1, took the words out my mouth , i wonder why the call it evolution
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you know, the x takes the evo out of the 90's. i love my 8, but i look at it and it is soooo outdated, it's not even funny. if they werent so expensive, i might of had an evo x sittin in my driveway. ah well, i guess i'll keep riding my good ol' 4g63 for now. is there that much hate towards the g-tr as well? just curious because i don't see anyone complaining about "it's not an rb, and it's only autostick." boo freakin hoo. oh, and the g-tr looks like a tarted up g37. LOL.

Last edited by heavens turbo; Apr 4, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

This guy nailed it on the head.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

I saw a Silver Evo X today in person and have no issues saying it is better looking than the 8 or 9, hands down; and I am an owner of an 8.

The X clearly is a better car in terms of handling, quite a feat considering the "dreaded added weight" (this from a community that has no issues adding subs, fake carbon fiber hoods that weigh more than the stock aluminum piece, etc). The engine is largely unproven, but so what if it cant support 1000hp. How many actually make it to that, better yet what percentage of Evo owners actually max out the stock turbo?

I love the X hate on these boards. Will I trade my 8 for one? Absolutely not, but it has more to do with not having a car payment rather than Mitsu "taking the wrong path." The X is a great car, and mark my words it will outsell the 8 and 9 that came before it in the US.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna quote myself in a evo X thread I commented on that was locked

" I think the majority of VIII owners were happy with the changes with the IX. Its basically the same car really just minor upgrades, if you could call them that. I love the look of the X. I'v seen a few on the road and I do a double take because it looks that good. But, that being said, the rawness is gone and that was mitsu's intentions. Some like that and others don't. If you want the feel of a race prepped none friendly driver, find a used older gen evo. If not, enjoy the current, more advanced, better daily driving evo X. That is really it in a nut shell. "
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

funny thing is the new ralliart looks just like the X and has all the same options....... will probly be cheaper also.as far as sport sedans go id rather have a 335i or an m3. to me evolution will always be I-IX....... a pure no mistake race car. thats what i wanted thats what i bought. the potential of the all aluminum block.... thats yet to be seen, just dont overheat it. aluminum+heat=bad.

Quick Reply: Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again