Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Mistake or Not
Mistake all over again
47.59%
No mistake
33.45%
not sure
18.97%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 596736
Don't get me wrong, its def a step in the right direction for mitsu to make the X the way they did. I like the looks and it is responding well to mods. However, I don't see them flying off the lots
Many reasons have been stated for why they aren't flying off the lots as can be seen here in this thread.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=335864

I'll just list a few of the reasons I believe for the slow sales (you can easily read these opinions being repeated in the thread above for yourself)

Some states are overpricing it with bad markups.
Even in states where the car is priced at $30 to $36k+ depending on options ... that is still a $30,000+ car.
If you haven't noticed the US economy has not been in the greatest shape in the last year. The subprime mortgage crunch has left millions of people in foreclosure or put then upside down on their home loans. The US unemployment rate is at its highest since after the hurricane Katrina disaster in 2005, in just the past month of March 80,000 jobs were lost bringing the total of lost jobs in 2008 to 232,000 jobs in just 3 months.
For people who haven't lost their jobs or houses ... there is the potential fear of losing either or both ... there are the uncertainties in other aspects of the financial market ... there is the increase in gas prices ...

Basically there are multiple reasons as to why a performance sedan in the $30-40k bracket may not be selling sell at this time that have nothing to do with its actual performance abilities or potential.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kisada
Many reasons have been stated for why they aren't flying off the lots as can be seen here in this thread.

I'll just list a few of the reasons I believe for the slow sales (you can easily read these opinions being repeated in the thread above for yourself)

Even in states where the car is priced at $30 to $36k+ depending on options ... that is still a $30,000+ car.
If you haven't noticed the US economy has not been in the greatest shape in the last year. The subprime mortgage crunch has left millions of people in foreclosure or put then upside down on their home loans. The US unemployment rate is at its highest since after the hurricane Katrina disaster in 2005, in just the past month of March 80,000 jobs were lost bringing the total of lost jobs in 2008 to 232,000 jobs in just 3 months.
For people who haven't lost their jobs or houses ... there is the potential fear of losing either or both ... there are the uncertainties in other aspects of the financial market ... there is the increase in gas prices ...

Basically there are multiple reasons as to why a performance sedan in the $30-40k bracket may not be selling sell at this time that have nothing to do with its actual performance abilities or potential.
I hear you and you are right. But that really wasn't the point of my post.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSM GSR04
Why buy an X if you can by the ralliart. They totally ruined everything.
Because the X is decidedly faster in every imaginable measure of performance?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I hear you and you are right. But that really wasn't the point of my post.
Sorry for misunderstanding what you were trying to say.
To me "However, I don't see them flying off the lots" was bringing into question the selling ability of the new X and so I thought I'd address that.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry for misunderstanding what you were trying to say.
To me "However, I don't see them flying off the lots" was bringing into question the selling ability of the new X and so I thought I'd address that.
I did say it, so you were right to post. In the area where I live cars 30-40k don't have a problem selling, regardless of the economy. So, if I see a bunch of X's on a lot for a long time collecting dust like I do, it means one of two things to me. Either there is an incredible dealer markup or there isn't enough demand for the car
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

^ I agree too on this. The economy isn't doing very at the moment and this could also be another major factor besides the "VIII vs. IX vs. X" deal.

Would you buy an Evo, or would you rather take your money, buy a cheaper beater car and feed your family and provide them with a roof over their heads?

Its an accumulation of a little bit of everything I think. Economy, Looks and style of the car, sales and hype.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Ugh, it's NOT the same engine as the caliber. It's the same block with different sleeves and weaker internals. It's also got a smaller turbo, different head, and the list goes on. Second, the motor that will be coming in the ralliart is the same deal as the caliber, except with even less displacement. This has been done with almost every manufacturers line of cars since the dawn of time and it's no different with mitsubishi. Hell, Subaru used the same block in the US SPEC wrx as the JDM STi, but yet again with weaker internals and components. All that the STi is is a more race built version of the WRX, which is a more race built version of the 2.5 RS. Until now, the EVO was just a race built version of the lancer with no mid-range model. And also, the AWD system is way different. The rear end uses a different limited slip with no AYC, and the rest of the system is different as well. The chassis is much less reinforced, and the wheels and tires, etc. It's the same thing as the WRX when compared to the STi. Jesus, why do I have to explain this to you? Do some research before you open your mouth next time, "expert."
that is absolutely incorrect.

ej207 (jdm sti) is a semi closed-deck block
ej205 (usdm wrx) is a open-deck block
Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gixxer6
I think that mostly everyone who owns an VIII or a IX bought an evo because we wanted performance over comfort or sophistication. If I wanted A quick luxury car I'd buy an M3 or 335i not an evo.. period.
+1
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gixxer6
I think that mostly everyone who owns an VIII or a IX bought an evo because we wanted performance over comfort or sophistication. If I wanted A quick luxury car I'd buy an M3 or 335i not an evo.. period.
Originally Posted by gottf257
+1
*sigh* ...
let me reiterate the counterpoint to that ...
Evo X = $30k base (Just check the vendor section)
M3 = $60k base (did you not read about the guy who had to get legal help to purchase his M3 for $60k that he won on Ebay??)

You're comparing 2 cars in vastly different price brackets.
And if you look at what tuners and pros are saying ... you're not losing out on the performance aspect by buying an Evo X.

Shiv is obviously biased in his comments because he has a lot invested in how well the X sells to the aftermarket crowd. How can someone say it beats the evo IX in everyway when it clearly doesn't.
So are you saying that Shiv is only concerned with selling Evo X parts now and no longer cares about the parts he has for the Evo VIII and Evo IX? That is the only reason that could make your argument valid, otherwise I would say that Shiv has no obvious bias towards the X as he could just as easily have said 'the X is nice but with the mods I have for the VIII and IX they are much better'.

As far as the other quote, sounds like he is overhyping it a little.
Overhyping it? A pro level driver who has driven the AMS Evo Time Attack car (which to my knowledge is NOT an Evo X) goes out and test drives an Evo X and has nothing but praise for it ... compared to people who have never driven or possibly have had a test drive from a dealer who continue to bash the Evo X's supposedly lack of abilities ... hmmmm whose opinion should the Evo community trust?

If he's overhyping then what are the Evo X detractors doing? At least he's taken the thing on a track.

Props to RogueEvo for finding this vid
Inside Line Tests Evo X vs Evo IX

Last edited by Kisada; Apr 6, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

*sigh* ...
let me reiterate the counterpoint to that ...
Evo X = $30k base (Just check the vendor section)
M3 = $60k base (did you not read about the guy who had to get legal help to purchase his M3 for $60k that he won on Ebay??)

And if you look at what tuners and pros are saying ... you're not losing out on the performance aspect by buying an Evo X.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon... It's interesting that so many on here are focused on comparing the Evo to BMWs. The closest BMW to an Evo, while being forced induction and being AWD, has an AWD system admittedly not designed for performance, it's designed for inclement weather safety. It's a great car, but very different.

I'm more interested in knowing what the Subaru and Audi guys are doing. AWD turbo enthusiasts who have been at the same game for a while. I see a lot of Audi guys starting to consider an Evo based on the increased comforts of the X (+1 for ). I hear of more transplants from the STi community to the Evo community (XIII + IX's... another +1 for ).

There are comparisons of the X and the GTR... The X has been referred to as the poor man's GTR... If that's what you want to believe, ok... I don't...

I'm a transplant from German cars. I bought an Evo due to the impressive performance from the factory and even more so the available performance through the vast list of vendors that make plug and play products for our cars (which the X will have plenty of by the end of this year).

Be realistic and see the car for its out of the box performance and its potential. It's evolved from its last state, that's what this car is all about, heck even it's name will tell you that. It's not a 4g63, it's the company we trust's newest creation. It's got a new AWD system that is in a new league in comparison to the last version.

Give and our tuners a break and discuss this in a year after the proof is out.

My apologies for the rant
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

So are you saying that Shiv is only concerned with selling Evo X parts now and no longer cares about the parts he has for the Evo VIII and Evo IX? That is the only reason that could make your argument valid, otherwise I would say that Shiv has no obvious bias towards the X as he could just as easily have said 'the X is nice but with the mods I have for the VIII and IX they are much better'.
Anyone that has been on evom for a while and has followed the progression of engine management would now that Vishnu has pretty much abandoned the xede for the VIII and IX for a long time now. It seemed he dedicated a lot of his time with the procede for BMW. Only until the release of the X and Shiv's development of the procede for the X has he made a presence back on the forums. Ask anyone that has dealt with vishnu in the past and they will say exactly that he has moved on past the evo world that is until the X was released. He is even quoted somewhere saying the dealing with BMW is a smarter move for him over evos.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 08:49 AM

Mitsu just wanted to make it more luxary to attract an older crowd.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone that has been on evom for a while and has followed the progression of engine management would now that Vishnu has pretty much abandoned the xede for the VIII and IX for a long time now. It seemed he dedicated a lot of his time with the procede for BMW. Only until the release of the X and Shiv's development of the procede for the X has he made a presence back on the forums. Ask anyone that has dealt with vishnu in the past and they will say exactly that he has moved on past the evo world that is until the X was released. He is even quoted somewhere saying the dealing with BMW is a smarter move for him over evos.
cause there is no free tuning software for the X yet or BMW's
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:35 AM

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

So it really just seems to come down to the looks i say. It barely performs better than the IX if not rounding out even. For now.

I also liked that the Edmunds article says "but it's a more livable Evo that can be driven and enjoyed by those of us over 30. "

hahaha
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

I went to the dealership today to check out the new evo x, i was looking at a trade in but i didnt even get to the test drive. after seeing the car up close i grabbed my keys and headed twords the door. Mitsubishi has made a mistake. the evo line is not supposed to be pretty, its supposed to be an ugly little thing that leaves its competitors in the dust. Now it seems to be nothing more than a show car, they have lost the soul that made The Evolution and Evolution. I hope that this is not the way cars are going, i want to go fast not look pretty.

Quick Reply: Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again