Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Mistake or Not
Mistake all over again
47.59%
No mistake
33.45%
not sure
18.97%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again

I have been in the market looking for a Evo 9 and have relized how hard they are to find, but everytime I call a dealership they offer me the New Evo X. When I tell them no they tell me "they are having a hard time selling th X"

So here is what I'm asking do you think Mitsubishi has made the same mistake that they made in 2000 with the Eclipse? When they changed the body style and the motor revamped the hole car just like they have done with the Evo.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

its because its not a 4g63.
well thats my grudge against the new evo x, its not an evo unless it has a 4g63.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:48 PM

Eh, I like the X, but I like my IX better. Then again, I miss the days of lightweight cars, without all the electronic nonsense, and all the safety stuff. The Evo X is a beautiful car, but it's a little grown up for what I'm looking for in a car I'm going to mod.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

They made it heavier that is my biggest gripe. I don't think that these new Evo's will ever really take place of the VIII's and IX's, Or be as sought after like them. They are nice with more creature comfort, but I'd stick to a platform that has already proven itself countless times.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

You nailed it right on. Without it being a 4g63, and a new body style( a horrifying one at that) it just isnt an evo (in looks). It still performs, thats for sure.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:07 PM

i think they changed it too much. i say if it aint broke dont fix it. they should have rode the IX out for a couple of years at least.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it was time to update the design of the evo and no they did not make a mistake.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

You buy an Evo for a raw, violent ride that takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. The X is not such a car. It is not a mistake, but a car undeserving of the Evo name...
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:05 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

I like the X. I think it will do good - we'll see though.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
it was time to update the design of the evo and no they did not make a mistake.
i agree. there was alot of safety updates they had to make. thats why there was never a 07 ix. i also agree that it is tame compared to the raw viii and the ix's which is what attracted me to evo in the first place. i have owned a viii and i currently own a ix. i would like to get a x without getting rid of my ix.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:22 PM

I think the X has brought the EVO into the 21ST century with its styling, levels of comfort and safety. Give it time, and it will grow on you... until then enjoy your current EVO. Its still gonna kick some serious a$$.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

I think that mostly everyone who owns an VIII or a IX bought an evo because we wanted performance over comfort or sophistication. If I wanted A quick luxury car I'd buy an M3 or 335i not an evo.. period.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting poll - my personal take on the X is that I know mitsu wanted to attract more buyers by upping the ante w/ the interior, while yes, it is an improvement from prior models, but by no means is it up to par w/ the other luxury performance models in its class. I do like the new lancers a lot, but the new evo? for some reason, not really feeling the new body style @ all...at least it still delivers and then some w/ its handling, but i'm not ready to count it out yet
Old Apr 4, 2008, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AznX TL
its because its not a 4g63.
well thats my grudge against the new evo x, its not an evo unless it has a 4g63.
Well, I don't know about that! I think it was time to go away from it and try something different. Everyone is on GM's **** for still using pushrods, but they work. So I guess you have an argument both ways you look at it. Well see what can be done with the new engine and I will form my opinion once the big guys get them running fast I like the X and would drive it daily if I could afford both.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

it was time that they had a change, because there is only so much you can do with a type of engine,

also they looks arnt that bad, the front is mean and agressive, i only have a problem with the back end tho.

also it is heavier, but that is due to all the extra features you get from it, maybe if people pressure/create demand they may do a stripped down "RS" version

and they also made changes to bring the class up one level from the plastic econobox car they people would associate with asians or ricers to something that people may purchase over a bmw or the like

anyways, i think they have something good here but it has yet to be proven, the SST problem is not helping, but once a decent aftermarket comes out more and more people will start warming up the the X

Quick Reply: Has Mitsubishi made the same mistake again