Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch question....?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch question....?

Ok so i am looking for a new clutch my is shot. i think i am going to be going with the ACT clutch and fly wheel i am already getting the 13pd fly wheel but still having trouble deciding on what clutch to get. i know i am going have to do a heavy duty one but this car is also my DD so i don't want my calf's to be on fire when i get out of the car. i have pretty much got it down to 2 clutches i think lol

http://www.advancedclutch.com/produc...d_id=2157#2157

either the MB7-HDG6 or the MB7-HDSS

i am upgrading my turbo to a fpgreen so ya i need opinions what one u guys think i should go with ?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

^^ oh ya i have a MR
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

If you are going with an act, definitely go with a full face disc. (hdss) The puck clutch will be very on-off and not much in between. Full face discs usually last longer too if your not making too much power for it. How much power are you shooting for. I really like the twin disc clutches for lighter pedal feel and high hp (over 450whp).
Old Apr 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any other opinions? i also need a new clutch and i cant afford the Exedy twin disc like everyone always suggests. i was figuring an ACT but there were soo many options that i had no idea which would be good. im just getting in to auto cross so i need something that will last after taking some beating and daily driving my car. which would be better, HDSS or XTSS or a different one? whats the difference?

thanks guys

Last edited by donbrown34567; Apr 6, 2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
HDSS is a great clutch

I have one in my MR and it is very pleasant to drive everyday
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

We tried the HDSS actually twice on the same car, it's great and handles a great deal of beating and abuse, after seeing it in action I bought one and havent installed it yet (waiting for my stocker to fade), anyways this one would be great.. We personally havent tried the XTSS, but we think that if the peddle is heavier on this go with the HDSS, the HDSS is a bit heavier than stock, but with great performance and price is a great deal. good luck
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

does anybody have any advice on a good flywheel from them? i've heard that resurfacing the flywheel can lead to problems later on so does anybody have any advice on that? i was thinking the streetlight?

thanks guys, sorry for kinda jacking this guys thread
Old Apr 7, 2008, 01:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Drooke
Ok so i am looking for a new clutch my is shot. i think i am going to be going with the ACT clutch and fly wheel i am already getting the 13pd fly wheel but still having trouble deciding on what clutch to get. i know i am going have to do a heavy duty one but this car is also my DD so i don't want my calf's to be on fire when i get out of the car. i have pretty much got it down to 2 clutches i think lol

http://www.advancedclutch.com/produc...d_id=2157#2157

either the MB7-HDG6 or the MB7-HDSS

i am upgrading my turbo to a fpgreen so ya i need opinions what one u guys think i should go with ?
The pedal feel and effort required to push the pedal is unchanged between both of our kits you've listed because they both use the same HD pressure plate. The engagement however between the full face street disc and the sprung 6 puck are not the same. On a daily driver I would recommend using a the HDSS kit.

As far as the flywheel goes: if you drag race alot or live in an area with hills or inclines where the loss of inertia created by the decreased weight of the flywheel is going to be an issue , the Streetlite would be the better choice. If you are looking for the best throttle response and acceleration or you road race then the Prolite should be your choice.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sales@ACT
The pedal feel and effort required to push the pedal is unchanged between both of our kits you've listed because they both use the same HD pressure plate. The engagement however between the full face street disc and the sprung 6 puck are not the same. On a daily driver I would recommend using a the HDSS kit.

As far as the flywheel goes: if you drag race alot or live in an area with hills or inclines where the loss of inertia created by the decreased weight of the flywheel is going to be an issue , the Streetlite would be the better choice. If you are looking for the best throttle response and acceleration or you road race then the Prolite should be your choice.
Thanks yeah i think i am going to go with the HDSS and the 13pd flywheel i live in Plano so its basically flat ha
Old May 12, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah i think i'm going with that same combo HDSS and Streetlite. just trying to locate a good combo deal.
Old May 12, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

I have an MR and the Exedy Twin HD it drives like stock, IMO sell the fly you bought and buy the twin HD, unless money is an issue of course. Have you searched about ACT vs. Exedy on here?
Old May 12, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

The twin disk is a excellent functioning clutch but it is noisy. When you depress the pedal to shift you hear marbles in the tranny. As a driver you get used to it but new riders will always ask WTF is that noise! If you aren't launching the car every day and you aren't making 500hp there is no need for a twin disk.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

I got the HDSS as well..... great clutch. Its firm, yet doesn't kill your leg... long stints in traffic can be a kind of a hassle at times. But definitely an awesome clutch
Old May 13, 2008, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
The twin disk is a excellent functioning clutch but it is noisy. When you depress the pedal to shift you hear marbles in the tranny. As a driver you get used to it but new riders will always ask WTF is that noise! If you aren't launching the car every day and you aren't making 500hp there is no need for a twin disk.
i hear that now with my clutch lol. especially when pulling out from the garage.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

^ Yikes... What clutch? If its a single that shouldn't happen.

The exedy may very well be the best clutch but I simply cannot stand odd noises in my vehicle even if they are explainable. I won't be doing a twin disk.