Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Very odd...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very odd...

I posted a week or so ago that my rear passenger side door seemed to be jutting out perhaps 1/32" away from the rear fender. It's not really noticeable unless you look for it.

I decided to look at the car a little closer, and noticed that the doors on the right side of the car seem to stick further out more than the doors on the right. For example, if looking at the window frame of the rear door in relation to the C-pillar at the back, the window frame on the right side of the car is just about flush with the C-pillar. On the left side however, it's recessed in by a few millimeters. The doors on the right are flush with each other though. And looking at the car from an angle shows body lines which are fine.

I know the car hasn't been in an accident, since I've owned it since new. All the door panels have matching serial numbers to the unibody, and there are no tell-tale signs of paint or body work. So I'm just assuming that this was the way it came from the factory.

Must have been a Friday Evo. Anyone notice any oddities with their car long after having owned it?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amstel78

Must have been a Friday Evo. Anyone notice any oddities with their car long after having owned it?
Yes they wanted out of the factory early that day. Got any pics
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
When I was at the dealership picking up my car, one of the lugnuts was missing on the RF. I ended up getting a different evo.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 596736
Yes they wanted out of the factory early that day. Got any pics
I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow if I remember. My buddies Evo is parked next to mine, and his are fine (in a sense that the left and right side look symetrical).

It's just really odd to me... as if the guy putting the doors on couldn't get the rear passenger door to move in any further towards the body, so he adjusted the front passenger door to match. Everything looks fine though from a distance.

I probably would never have noticed the discrepancy if it hadn't been for some moron putting a door ding on the side I was looking at.

Anywho.. I'm probably going to buy a 2009 Nissan GT-R when they start taking deposits, and turn the Evo into a full track sled since the M3 is no more.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow if I remember. My buddies Evo is parked next to mine, and his are fine (in a sense that the left and right side look symetrical).

It's just really odd to me... as if the guy putting the doors on couldn't get the rear passenger door to move in any further towards the body, so he adjusted the front passenger door to match. Everything looks fine though from a distance.

I probably would never have noticed the discrepancy if it hadn't been for some moron putting a door ding on the side I was looking at.

Anywho.. I'm probably going to buy a 2009 Nissan GT-R when they start taking deposits, and turn the Evo into a full track sled since the M3 is no more.
jeez they haven't started taking deposits yet
Old Apr 6, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 596736
jeez they haven't started taking deposits yet
I know. That's why I said I'm waiting for them to start taking deposits.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Mmmm.... GTR...... Yummy. Can I borrow it? LOL. =)
Old Apr 6, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

This is indeed odd. Post pictures when you have the time.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe its an odd bolt sticking out. *shrug*
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

You can try adjusting the physical door lock, if you try to loosen it up and move it more towards the inside of the car maybe you will be able to flush it.
Early VIII models had the rear passanger doors (on a driver side) slightly going in, making the edge of the quater pannel very prone for rock chips. I fixed mine with a rubber handle of a screwdriver and some gentle prying on the door untill it got nicely flushed with the quater panel. I don't notice any more rock chips. On top of that I put the transparent 3M tape as an additional protection.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bexa20
Early VIII models had the rear passanger doors (on a driver side) slightly going in, making the edge of the quater pannel very prone for rock chips.
That sounds a little similar to what's going on here. It seems the driver side rear door is recessed in towards the body a millimeter or two further than the passenger side rear door; although it's not the whole door. That's the oddity. It looks like its the window frame of the door which is a bit off especially when comparing it against the edge of the rear C-pillar.

If I can't get it sorted, I don't think its worth the worry. Can't really notice it from a distance, and nothing leaks which is the important part. Also, looking at the doors from the inside, nothing appears to be misaligned.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:42 PM

I know the car hasn't been in an accident, since I've owned it since new. All the door panels have matching serial numbers to the unibody, and there are no tell-tale signs of paint or body work. So I'm just assuming that this was the way it came from the factory.
may very well be, pics?