Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What's wrong with my Defi gauges.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trace the wire all the way from the sensor to your Defi unit. The wire may look fine, but part of the insulation on the wire could've rubbed off after a year of driving and vibrations.

Metal on metal is going to cause a short circuit, and worse comes to worse, your sensor could be friend.

Like what GTI Joe said, get a voltmeter and check your wires. Use process of elimination and find out whats wrong, if its not the wires, check fuses, if you have fuses put in with your Defi's. If not the fuses, check the sensor. Get a buddy or something whose sensor works and plug that in. If it works, then it was your bad sensor.

What we mean by checking wires is not just to look at it, but to trace it ALL THE WAY BACK. Take out the panels and literally trace the wires.

My Defi's didn't work when I first got them and I didn't know why, found out my positive and negative didn't get crimped right and had too much wire exposure and they touched and shorted.

You said that your wires worked fine for a year, so I'm guessing somewhere the sending wire was rubbing on something sharp all this time and it finally got to the wire and shorted. Thats why you use insulation. Thats my guess anyways.

Also, pictures of your wiring and units and how its set up would be very helpful to help you.

Help us help you! Pictures, videos, diagrams... whatever you got. We can only do so much through words.

Oh, and welcome to the world of electrical problems. (^_^)

PS: The gauge reading 0 isn't anything serious. I'm running 30 lbs of boost and my vacuum lines pop all the time, and my boost gauge reads zero, I just plug it back in and re-zip tie it. But I know thats just a vacuum line. Yours is probably just the sending wire. So don't have a heart attack.

Last edited by AznEvoIX; Jul 16, 2008 at 03:20 PM.