Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Owning Evo and doing Construction Work

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owning Evo and doing Construction Work

I am a recent college grad (Construction Management) and I just took a job in Wisconsin as a field engineer. My question is, would an Evo be practical for the location and job type. I understand Wisconsin gets a lot of snow in the winter, Feet at a time. Or would it be better to buy a cheaper 15k SUV and drive it for a while up there before jumping into an Evo?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Dan
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As a Wisconsinite who just experienced the worst winter in WI on record with an Evo for the first time, I can safely say you'll be fine. My car constantly amazed me with how well it handled the snow. Throw on some snow tires and you'll have no need for an SUV. The one and only time I got stuck was when we had 12-14" of snow, and I had just put on my coilovers. The car was so low that I actually got hung up on the snow - it was completely packed under the car and the tires were barely touching the ground.

As for the construction site work, well, as long as you don't mind your car getting very dirty, it'll be fine.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:36 AM

Living in utah where it also snows feet at a time. Just because the car has AWD does not mean you want to trust all the other clowns on the road.

I would buy an SUV or Truck and use it for about a year to feel out the type of places they want you to go. The two field guys here where I work both have SUVs, sometimes a grated road requires more than a car.

Last but not least the evo is not very good for hauling equipment.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Danner
I am a recent college grad (Construction Management) and I just took a job in Wisconsin as a field engineer. My question is, would an Evo be practical for the location and job type. I understand Wisconsin gets a lot of snow in the winter, Feet at a time. Or would it be better to buy a cheaper 15k SUV and drive it for a while up there before jumping into an Evo?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Dan
I am no longer a field engineer, but even if i was, i would still rock an Evo on sites. It really depends how worried you would be of taking it off road etc... but i use the Evo as a daily driver, and don't worry about nicks and chips. If you want to baby the Evo, don't do it. otherwise its an awesome DD.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i'm a field engineer and i drove my evo onto my jobsite for about 6 months before getting my DD back into shape. Just be careful of nails/debris/dips if you're lowered.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I'll rock a pathfinder or something for a few months, get a feel for the area, my job, and living arrangements. Then I'll pick up an evo and use the SUV as a work car/Daily. If anything during the winter I will probably buy a storage unit for the evo.

Hopefully my financial situation will be enough to cover two car payments. It would be roughly $1000 a month pay/insurance for a 03' pathfinder and a IX. I will be making just under 80k a year.

Last edited by Danner; Apr 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM.