Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I need Help With My DP install!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need Help With My DP install!

I was installing My Megan RacinG Downpipe Today and i couldn't get the Dp to be flush with the 02 Housing because of the stock donut gasket. I also couldn't remove the stock donut gasket, i tired with a screwdriver and it started to break it. So what i ended up doing was tightening the Dp as tight as i could (busted my lip doing that LOL) so now the Dp is like 1mm from being flush with the 02 housing. so far it doesn't look or smell like there is an exhaust leak. other than that it fit with my buschur cat-back better than the stock DP. also the megan racing DP cleared the tie bars beautifully.

So my question is what should i do? do i leave it like it is not flush with the 02 housing or what can i do to the stock donut gasket to make it fit??? TY
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need to remove the DP again and scrap of that gasket and put a new one on simple as that.. that leak could eventiallly throw your a/F mixture and cause prob's
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

as long as its not leaking you should be ok! those donut gasket are really PIA to remove. when you said not flush, do you mean in between the top of the DP and O2 Housing? or on the side?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PureDsm
you need to remove the DP again and scrap of that gasket and put a new one on simple as that.. that leak could eventiallly throw your a/F mixture and cause prob's
+1

Im not positive but I think I remember megan providing a new donut with my DP...? Maybe not, but either way its an easy fix. Discount sells them for a couple bucks.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by 03RRVIII
as long as its not leaking you should be ok! those donut gasket are really PIA to remove. when you said not flush, do you mean in between the top of the DP and O2 Housing? or on the side?
yeah between the top of the dp and the 02 housing. ummm it feels like its not leaking but yeah i will chk into getting a new one to replace this one
Old Apr 8, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

yea thats the best thing to do man... if somthing happens later on and the leak gets bigger then it could start sucking air in the o2 houseing and messs with your sensors
Old Apr 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

theres really no reason to tighten the dp as tight as you can get it, especially not so tight that you hurt yourself, lol. cause its only as tight as the springs holding it. and the dp is not supposed to be touching the o2 housing, its designed to move around on the round gasket... the gap is supposed to be there.....
Old Apr 8, 2008, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

yea thats the best thing to do man... if somthing happens later on and the leak gets bigger then it could start sucking air in the o2 houseing and messs with your sensors
Old Apr 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my DP from eBay supplier. It didn't came with the dounut gasket so I just bolt the new DP right on with the old gasket. The only problem I had is I have a CEL b/c I replaced my Cat with the Cat-delete and my 2nd O2 sensor is reading too much exhaust gas. Gotta get a O2 fouler kit and fix it this weekend. Good luck
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

^ or you can just flash your ecu so ur computer doesn't look at your rear o2 sensor anymore, adn then u can throw a wideband into that bung
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by idriveanevo
theres really no reason to tighten the dp as tight as you can get it, especially not so tight that you hurt yourself, lol. cause its only as tight as the springs holding it. and the dp is not supposed to be touching the o2 housing, its designed to move around on the round gasket... the gap is supposed to be there.....
ok i will take ur word for it but yeah iam not using the stock springed bolts but i will switch back then 2morrow.

thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

doesn't the stock dp flange sit flush against the 02 housing???? i can't remember now.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

no problem, i would suggest using them tho, simply because you will have no problem with them and they will prevent over tightening the dp. i would suggest you getting a new gasket tho.just notice the lip on the bolt itself, thats as far as it will tighen to the o2 housing, and the springs do the rest.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
doesn't the stock dp flange sit flush against the 02 housing???? i can't remember now.
no it doesnt, thats why the stock dp has such large holes for the stock bolt and spring. the bolt doesnt contact the dp at all, the springs keep the dp tight against the o2 housing.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by idriveanevo
no it doesnt, thats why the stock dp has such large holes for the stock bolt and spring. the bolt doesnt contact the dp at all, the springs keep the dp tight against the o2 housing.
well cuase with the new DP the distance between the 02 housing nuts and the dp flange is farther than with the stock thats y i am confused. but yeah stock bolts go on 2morrow.