Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

10K miles and a new cat-back

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10K miles and a new cat-back

hey guys my evo ix Se hit a milestone today. bought the car relatively new last year with 1,000 miles on it and today i hit 10,000 . car still puts the same smile on my face as it did a year ago when i first bought it . funny thing is i finally did my first mod yesterday in the form of a new Greddy Ti-C cat-back.

I have a question though... it sounds like i MAY have a leak coming from where the Cat and the system bolt together. It sounds like a spuddering noise at idle, when the engine revs down, and when i shut it off. Were there supposed to be 2 gaskets or one. i ask cause a buddy said another one should go between the muffler and mid-pipe

Last edited by dwnfdrknss; Apr 9, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
??? there is only supposed to be one gasket b/t the cat and catback. Did you tighten everything down???
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Should be 1 gasket for where the cat and exhaust meet up.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

yea i tightened everything down **** i guess ima have to redo it again this weekend... hey should a gasket go where the muffler and mid-pipe meet as well? any chance of a leak there? cause i know the stock system also has a gasket there.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

^Yes there should be a gasket there as well.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

there should be a gasket at every point any part of the exhaust fits together. alot of people have trouble with leaks at the rear of the cat, i know i did myself. some people will put two gaskets on every joint to get a good seal.

i used exhaust sealant to plug up my leak at the rear of the cat, and got a better gasket for it.

if you're a smoker, it's reall easy to track down the leaks too. just light a cig and slide under the car, and watch where the smoke gets blown around.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

haha thanks Mondo... yea i guess ima have to redo the wrench work again with another gasket this weekend? anyone know if i can pick up the right sized gaskets for cheap anywhere like an autozone, or pepboys?