Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High PSI boost controllers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High PSI boost controllers

Hey guys, Ive recently run into a delimma with my build. I was planning on using the HKS EVC VI boost controller but someone brought to my attention that it max's out at 36psi. Im planning on running 40-45psi and need a boost controller that can hold and control this. Does anyone have experience with either taking an EVC higher than 36psi or information on a credibly high psi boost controller? Im using HKS FCon for EMS, not AEM. Any info is greatly apprecited. Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The AEM Truboost can handle 29 out of the box but there is a 75psi solenoid available for purchase.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

The Greddy Profec B Spec II can handle up to 43 psi.
The TurboXS DTEC boost controller is pretty cool. It uses a Gameboy Advance SP as kind of like a mini-computer and handles 60 psi+.

One of these may be a good setup for you. However, I have no experience with either, so you may want to do a search on them. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, Ill have to check into those and try and get more info on them. Thanks for all of the ideas guys, anyone else have experiene with any onf these?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

For what you're doing man you should seriously look into an NLR AMS-1000 or maybe the world electronics boost controller. Since you have the knock amp with A/F already the Prologger is out of the question as you would double up on wideband controllers. These are systems that will utilize different methods as far as gearing, time, etc. so you have precise control of boost as a means of traction control.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Ive seen the world electronics boost controller but have not heard of anyone using it before. As for the other one, it looks pretty beefy. I would prefer something easy to use that I wont have to tinker with much, the world electronics one is definitely on the list. The NLR one looks very complicated and more of a full race setup, but im going to look into that one aswell. Thank you for your input
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluByYouEvoVIII
Ive seen the world electronics boost controller but have not heard of anyone using it before. As for the other one, it looks pretty beefy. I would prefer something easy to use that I wont have to tinker with much, the world electronics one is definitely on the list. The NLR one looks very complicated and more of a full race setup, but im going to look into that one aswell. Thank you for your input
I've been using an NLR AMS-1000 for a year now and it is very simple to navigate thru. Setting it up via GPS which will read what gear you are in with every shift would be the ideal way to set it up so you have one setting for street and strip/track mainly for 1st and 2nd gear as traction won't be the same on the street that's for sure. Also having a setting for pump vs race too. From my knowledge the new software with the new units will store 6 settings so you can flip back and forth very easily.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

All A boost controller does is delay the signal to the wastegate for EBC's its duty cycle. Most decent boost controllers should be able to hold that kind of boost AS LONG as you have the proper W/G spring. When EBC's say their rating it ussually means what they can read up to.

I bet turboxs has a MBC that you could use, you could use a forge unos with the stiff spring, the buschur mbc. Otherwise your looking at turbo xs dtec, I think the AVC-R can read up to almost 45psi IIRC, AEM true boost with upgraded solenoid, etc.

What would be ideal is hooking up your F-CON to control boost.......
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

I wasnt aware that the FCon could control the boost at all. I would prefer to go with a EBC as I am more comfortable with them. Ill look into the turbo xs aswell. Do you happen to have experience with any of these? Thanks for thie help
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

I wasnt aware that the FCon could control the boost at all. I would prefer to go with a EBC as I am more comfortable with them. Ill look into the turbo xs aswell. Do you happen to have experience with any of these? Thanks for thie help

The FCon can't directly as theier is not feature in the software for boost control, but you can setup a seperate table to control a boost solenoid via duty cycle, it's a crude way of doing it but it can work.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

I heard from Sean Ivey that he has used a EVC EZ or EZII before and held over 45psi. Does anyone know how this is possible when it says its only capable of 36?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I heard from Sean Ivey that he has used a EVC EZ or EZII before and held over 45psi. Does anyone know how this is possible when it says its only capable of 36?

Call and talk with Sean he is a great guy and will help you out the best he can.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

I called and nobody picked up. Ill call again tomorow. I know he's very familiar with the FCon and what boost controllers to use with it. Thanks again man.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really? I am still here.

Sean
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

lol, I got your answering machine. I definitely need to talk to you about this. Ill call the shop on Friday during business hours if that works for you.

Quick Reply: High PSI boost controllers