Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo wins again!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:04 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Evo wins again!

Edmunds.com has nice 'lil writeup on the Evo vs. STi. Guess who won?

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa....reviews..19.*
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

i heard that the sti is better than evo at straight tracks, but when it comes to curvy tracks, watch out for the evo, make room for the beast
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Good article
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

It took me all of about 5 mins of sitting in the STi cabin (I was in top 10 waiting list at Balboa), seeing the same lame interior, cheesy seats, sloppy gearshifter and that same "crusing in a bucket" feeling of Subaru's poorly designed view section and mirror arrangement to give the big negatory on that one. Somehow I kinda doubt the build quality will be any better than a normal WRX.

I've got some nice cars and experience to compare against with the Evo - I love this car! (I really don't care too much about looks either...hahah I got a bugeye WRX right? (2!!) Finally a car I can grow my abilities into and is direct in everyway - no electric/digital BS - only where it counts in emergency braking situations. It comes pimped from the factory. I've found that no one (outside bottomless pockets people) can build the best all around sports car like the factory can - they know all the tricks! I was not prepaired to dump $10K+ on the WRX in hopes I've researched long and hard enough to get it how I like it. I didnt want to question the reliability of the engine and transmission (I'm pretty decent shifter at this point). All fingers pointed to the Evo, after sitting in one, feeling the tranny, the command seating, pedals, more room, etc. - I bought one. I took the big hit in the **** by trading in an 03' WRX Sedan (totally stock, never touched, ran on redline) that is valued at $16,000, and even paid a little over sticker because I wanted a Silver, sunroof, spoiler - NOW. I upgraded =) I took the money I was saving and applied it towards getting me the heck out of that WRX (yes I was getting the tranny crunches). My insurance only went up $100 (wawanesa). I get better MPG in my loops (22 vs. 19-20 in wrx). I'm not playing "find the rattle/squeak/thump" on a weekly basis. Subaru had a dumbass design on their speaker selection and placement. The EVO has less air turbulence with various window positions than the WRX - nicer to cruise around with windows down (lower in rear than WRX). I really dont have to mention power... =) Oh yeah and this car doesnt utterly DIE with the AC on - becoming dangerous on hot days with AC on (if you forgot...but WTF!) and trying to merge into quick traffic. Finally an affordable sports car that places braking on a VERY high list (like ze Germans) - brakes can be faster than HP =) Combining the two is wonderful...um Porsche. Anyways my Scoobies were cool at the time, but Subaru just doesnt do it for me, like Honda or Toyota or Acura....especially Audi.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by psmokie68
i heard that the sti is better than evo at straight tracks, but when it comes to curvy tracks, watch out for the evo, make room for the beast
It's a drivers race in the straights. A local STi guy can't break out of the 14's, while the first time out in my Evo I ran 13's (first time launching an AWD also, and I bogged it).

Don't go around believing that, just because the STi's factory HP claim is higher, it is faster. Along with our clutch issues, the STi has known detonation issues (and of course the friendly knock sensor is nice enough to pull timing and power below that 300 crank-hp number).

I'm a drag race guy, I could care less about curvy tracks. The Evo is a monster in the straights too

Last edited by AvatarOfWar; Aug 6, 2003 at 04:14 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, so what was the use in having a 30 something mother as a contributing writer to this article? She liked the softer ride of the Sti.....and didn't like the lack of amenities in either car. She obviously doesn't get what this car is all about.

...this opinion of course coming from a single guy with no wife/kids....

SC~
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Ok, so what was the use in having a 30 something mother as a contributing writer to this article? She liked the softer ride of the Sti.....and didn't like the lack of amenities in either car. She obviously doesn't get what this car is all about.

...this opinion of course coming from a single guy with no wife/kids....

SC~

I don't think she is exactly the demographic either manufacturer was targeting.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Chalk up another one for the Evo!
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MrBonus

I don't think she is exactly the demographic either manufacturer was targeting.
I was thinking that but kept my mouth closed

Also with the issue the STI had with their ECU and the correction, the question is what is the car putting out HP wise? The car maybe down on HP now.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

The STi hasn't been out long enough for all the bugs to surface. Detonation has already been an issue....but I'm curious how the clutch is going to hold up in that car.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:30 AM

Yet another good write-up on the Evo!
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spyderturbo
The STi hasn't been out long enough for all the bugs to surface. Detonation has already been an issue....but I'm curious how the clutch is going to hold up in that car.
Very true, but I for sure would rather have a clutch burn up at 5k then an engine worn and possibly blown at 20k.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

who the hell did they have driving???? those are the worst times I have ever seen for either car for acceleration!!!!

Look at the trap speed of the STI!!!!! 96mph!!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Performance

Performance Mitsubishi Evolution VIII Subaru WRX STi
0-to-60-mph acceleration, sec. 5.7 5.8
Quarter-mile acceleration, sec. 14.2 14.1
Quarter-mile speed, mph 97.2 95.6
60-to-0-mph braking, feet 109.8 109.8
600-ft slalom, mph N/A N/A
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:51 PM

That woman was completely out of place in this comparison....but I believe she acknowledged that in her review (not being target demographic, etc.)
Old Aug 6, 2003, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

It's a drivers race in the straights. A local STi guy can't break out of the 14's, while the first time out in my Evo I ran 13's (first time launching an AWD also, and I bogged it).

Don't go around believe that, just because the STi's factory HP claim is higher, it is faster. Along with our clutch issues, the STi has known detonation issues (and of course the friendly knock sensor is nice enough to pull timing and power below that 300 crank-hp number).
Agreed. I also tend to think that the benefit of having better gear ratios in the STi could be outweighed by actually having to shift another time.

Most folks don't have the training to execute good split-second shifts, so in real-world action I would think that would give the Evo an advantage. Then again I haven't driven either car yet so I'm kinda talkin outta my

Thoughts?