Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

outside door handles problem!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outside door handles problem!

So, I was swapping my current LY handles out for black RS door handles and I'm having a bit of trouble. Luckily, the front doors are a breeze. A few steps that were really irritating, yet simple, so I didn't have a problem with either of those. I was starting on the back door and had a problem with the child lock. To let everyone know, there are two bolts that hold the back handles in place, one in the front, which is rather easy to get to, and one in the back, which you must peel a black quarter-sized sticker off the metal to get to. When I removed this, a bunch of white plastic **** (which later was identified as child lock stuff) was in the way, naturally, I didn't have a clue what this was, so I tried to fiddle past it to see if I could get to the bolt inside with my socket wrench. Couldn't really do it, so I decided to close the door to get by in my garage. Low and behold, the door shuts, and never opens again.. I tried using the handle inside and outside to open it, I tried unlocking it with my keys, doesn't work. I think I might of accidently engage the child lock (or even worse disconnected the ability to open through the child lock) and now the damn thing won't open. Any tips on what to do? I was thinking about trying to connect the back door up to power again and seeing if I can open it that way...

Sorry for posting it here, didn't have a clue where else.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

bump!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

did u connect Door handles and lock (metal sticks to contorl open or lock or unlock door)
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

well, i orginally took out the metal prong that connects to the outside door handle, but once i shut the door, i put the prong back on and everything moves fine, but it doesn't seem like the actual lock moves.

Last edited by ohthree; Apr 11, 2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

u know normal Evo and MR have electrical Lock system. and RS dont have electrical sysem lock trigger..

im try figure out, im Automotive collision tech. but u put on RS lock n Handles.. or u mean u use RS handles on your normal Evo... so u just have to put in handle right and nothing touch the prongs metals or Lock cyclnder latch
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have a normal evo 8. I bought a set of black outside handles. They are similar it seems to my yellow handles (atleast the front ones are). I just need to put in the handle. However, to remove the handles you have to remove them from a metal rod that allows them to open the original lock.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

bump, still need some help.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

if i live in illinois ill come help fix it up.. but sadly i dont know what u do what you removed or something.. do u have evo manual Cd service.., check out for handles and see how it work
Old Apr 12, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

I took apart the other back door today and realized that the white plastic was part of the lock, I must of disconnected that part, so the lock pretty much isn't attached. I'm just going to call up a shop and see what they can do to open it for me.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Hrm, if I put the car back together, anyone think the 5year/60k bumper to bumper warrenty would cover something like this? Could just say the door was jammed.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to have it fixed with the warranty lol