Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO or my GSX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO or my GSX

I test drove a black EVO tonight and really like the car. My GSX pulls much harder, but some $$ thrown at the EVO and that point will be moot. Everything else the stock EVO does better though.

Check out my GSX (http://user.mc.net/~jschertz/eclipse) and let me know if you think it's worth selling my GSX for a GOOD price to the right person or parting out the car and selling for a fair price. It's probably the cleanest, original 95 in the Chicago area. I own the car, so I be getting back into car payments again, AND paying interest on a loan I really don't need.....
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

i like your drive by sound clip

"""crow, crow, crow, crow......vvvvvvvrrroooom pppppssshhhhhh!
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

If you are happy with the car, I would say stick with it. Judging by the pics, modifications, and sound clips that car is definately hot. VERY clean looking car. Just the cleanest GSX I have ever seen.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Your car looks nice but so is the EVO.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

okay, I was just like you, I had a 95 GSX, not that much mods, I liked it. Then, it CW on me. If your motor haven't CW yet, it prob will evenutally. I know DSMs are fast, but the handling just isn't there. Evo has always been a better package. I think it comes down to money. If you have the means to get an Evo, get it. If you can't afford it, stick with your 2G and pray it Won't CW.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:38 PM

I had a hooked up 97 GSX that I sold in order to get my Evo, and no regrets!! My 97 had a lot of mods, (FMIC, 18g, 550s, ACT 2600, etc. etc.) and was way faster than the Evo, but the Evo is a new car, and it handles WAY better than my GSX ever did, even with the Tein coilovers that I put on them. I took the $$ that I got from selling my 97 (And my 91 gsx, and my old motorcycle) and used it for the down payment on the Evo - NO REGRETS!!!
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Stock wise, the Evo is a better car than the DSM. However the DSM is also cheaper than the Evo which will allow for modifications a still be cheaper than an Evo. If you only want inline racing performance, opt for the DSM. If you want an all around performer, save up and buy the Evo. Save even more if you want mods.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

damn...dorgus...u sold mucho stuff just to get a evo....but on the topic...GSX is a nice car (used to be my favorite car)...NO disrepect to the GSX...but the EVO is just a level above it =)
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:55 PM

I sold my '97 TSi AWD for my Evo - no regrets. I've had it built up twice over it's life and the Evo is much more car than the Talon was.

BTW, ALL DSM's do not crankwalk. My 97 had 98,000 miles on it, had multiple ACT 2100lb clutches in it and never a hint of crankwalk. Only SOME 2G's crankwalk - my friend's 98 did at 10k miles. If they are going to do it, they will by 60k or so (if you have modified it).
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:56 PM

i would keep the gsx, but i'm biased
Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:08 PM
Account Disabled

Dude, if you bought an Evo, it'd beat the GSX stock. Some people Shifting correctly can get the thing into Low Low 13's.

As for the pulling much harder I dunno, I would expect the EVO to have more torque than the Eclipse. But then again I don't know what you've done to your car.

Bottomline: Short Shifter, Boost Controller, S-AFC, Exhaust = Bye Bye GSX. You'd be into the 12's easily
Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by i_love_spool
Dude, if you bought an Evo, it'd beat the GSX stock. Some people Shifting correctly can get the thing into Low Low 13's.

Bottomline: Short Shifter, Boost Controller, S-AFC, Exhaust = Bye Bye GSX. You'd be into the 12's easily
My 13.5 was before FMIC, 680s, DSMLink, 1G TB, and a few other toys. My GSX is in the 12s now, I just don't have a timeslip to prove it yet Regardless, I mostly Auto-x and will do some Road racing this summer/fall as well.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:47 PM
Account Disabled

You can get an Evo to go 12's with less money spent on mods than on the Eclipse I'm sure
Old Aug 7, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

I too wanted to get a GST/X b/c they are bad a$$. Never got a chance to drive one or ride in one.

Look at it this way, can you afford to have payments around $500 a month (depending on what you put down) + insurance? Do you REALLY want to get rid of your car? I wanted to part out my car at first also, but I am glad my wife wouldn't let me b/c I would have really missed her. They are both awesome cars. If you haven't driven an Evo, do it. It is a lot of $$$ to put away each month, $$$ you could put towards your GSX.

Something to think about...
Old Aug 7, 2003, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that almost any car can catch up to an Evo in power if enough modification is done to it, but my question is, can modifications on a GSX make it as good in handling or even better as the Evo? They both have AWD, and to my knowledge, the Evo doesn't have that special of an AWD system. So would a GSX compete in curvy roads if a nice LSD is put on it? Or is Evo's AWD system a whole lot better besides the LSD.