Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone have a trailer hitch on their Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
call down to Uhaul and have them put one on there for you its cheap its easy and best of all some one else does all the work and wiring.

I had a hitch put on my car last week and it ran me 400ish with a special order (overnight shipping) and was put on in under a hour. I hauled a 5x8 enclosed trailer just fine with it.

when your done hauling pull the pin throw the hitch in your garage and no one will ever know you have a hitch on it.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DocWyte
I've already said why I want one. I'm not going to buy a freaking truck just so I can haul my gear to the track. Let's see, spend thousands on a truck and a trailer, plus insurance, plus paying to store them vs using the tire trailer I already own. Hmmmm...
putting a hitch on a evo = unneeded weight
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:43 PM

It weighs nearly nothing. Why all the hate? People add far more weight to their cars with huge stereo systems, you hate on them too?

If you want to ruin your interior and make life hard on yourself by loading track gear and wheels/tires in your car, knock yourself out. I don't. That's why I have a very nice tire trailer.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you cant afford to buy a beater truck and tow it like that, then you cant afford nor should you have whatever it is you are towing in the first place.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 01:08 PM

Whatever.

Soo, how are you going to pull the Evo behind the "beater" truck? Yup, gotta buy a trailer. Then you gotta make sure the "beater" is up to towing duty. Then you gotta find a place to store the "beater" and the trailer. Then you gotta insure all this stuff. All of a sudden you have $10-15k into this "beater" setup, and you still have to store it.

Listen, I already have my tire trailer. It works great. I used it with my porsche turbo and I'm going to use it with my Evo.

If you don't have something constructive to add to the thread, like where I can get a tow hitch, don't post.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Remove the back seat - now you have lots of room for tires. I hauled a large radial arm saw this way.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:02 PM

Why do that when all I have to do is hitch up the tire trailer?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

DocWyte, disregard what all the confused people are saying. There is nothing wrong with towing a trailer behind our cars. I have seen worse cars pulling trailers. I completely understand what your intent is. It doesn't make financial sense to purchase a pickup truck and all the expenses that go along with it when all you want to tow is a simple tire trailer. Good luck in your search.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've already said why I want one. I'm not going to buy a freaking truck just so I can haul my gear to the track. Let's see, spend thousands on a truck and a trailer, plus insurance, plus paying to store them vs using the tire trailer I already own. Hmmmm...
I agree that it would be less expense and all but I just hate to see an Evo with a trailer hitch Whatever you do to your Evo is up to you.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Why do that when all I have to do is hitch up the tire trailer?
Well, it really is no work. The hardest part is threading the seat belts when replacing the cushions. And, you will be amazed at the room you have with the cushions out. Plus, you save the expense of a hitch.

I used to have a tiny sailboat. When I'd pull that my gas mileage would half. Gas mileage is already bad enough in an evo.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Arkitek
if you cant afford to buy a beater truck and tow it like that, then you cant afford nor should you have whatever it is you are towing in the first place.
Dopiest statement yet in this thread. That's too bad.

Doc - You may want to try searching or asking in the 'Motorsports' section, as you're much likelier to find someone doing this already in there, plus the a$$clown factor is much lower there.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by barneyb
Well, it really is no work. The hardest part is threading the seat belts when replacing the cushions. And, you will be amazed at the room you have with the cushions out. Plus, you save the expense of a hitch.
I remove the rear seat bench and toss my wheels in for events, and while it does work, it's also a bit of a hassle. You can scrape up the interior pretty good if you aren't extremely careful - rear door armrests, Recaro seat backs, rear seat seat back fabric, & carpeting on the edge of where the rear seat cushion sits.

More importantly, there's a safety factor. If you're in an accident, the last thing you want are four 45+lb loose objects smashing around inside the vehicle. Having them on a small trailer is much safer.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

My friend has one on his STI so I'm sure you will be able to find one that works for you.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Arkitek
Wow. What is this, Honda Tech? The guy asked a simple question, one that I've been wondering myself. Why would I waste money on a truck just to tow something occasionally?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I was looking for a hitch myself; need to tow the bike to track days...

Quick Reply: Anyone have a trailer hitch on their Evo?