Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ready to buy new Evo questions...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ready to buy new Evo questions...

I am hesitating just a bit, and I was hoping to get some feedback from owners...

I am looking for a high performance car that I can drive year round ( with something like Pilot Sport A/S for winter/rain...)

This will be my only car; my daily driver, road trips, camping, fishing etc...

I am a car guy. I currently drive a heavily moded 98Cobra Must. so I know what its like living with a performance car (heck, I drove my 70 CycloneGT 429CJ daily to college - lots of gas money :-) ) The Cobra gets parked winter/rain and I was thinking the Evo would shine in these conditions (with the right tires), or at least be safer than a normal car. I have see the rally races on tv....

I got stuck in an ice storm with a Subaru once and it pulled me through safely, while others were sliding off the road. That sold me on AWD!

I love the concept of these cars (Evo and STI) - take an econo car and engineer it into a no frills performance car that rivals the european exotics - on a working mans budget!

The Domestics invented this: ala Tempest -> GTO, but now they just make trucks....

Thanks for any advice/suggestions/comments!!!!

-Steve
Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

well technicly i belive the lancer is based on the evo platform but anyways.... this car is awsom in the dry and wet, but it needs different tires in the snow or sub 32 degree temps other than that it rules
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:08 PM

Thanks Boosted! Thats what I was hoping to hear!

But: "technicly i belive the lancer is based on the evo platform".. I dont understand? I thought the lancer was the base car. Sorry, I am new the world of Mistu!
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As long as you have a decent set of winter tires, you should be fine. Its plenty practical, if you need to haul stuff too. More importantly the car is a blast. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a car anywhere near its price that matches its combination of power, handling and braking.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:18 PM

Thanks revhappy! I can already see myself in the drivers seat....
a Recaro!!! I have always real Recaro's....
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

i'm kinda skeptical about the snow handling this thing will do when the time comes...

even though it's AWD, there almost 300hp you're putting down... ya know...?

i'll be investing in some really good all weather tires when December comes around...

no trunk pass through kinda sucks, but the car is wider than you expect and things do fit in side to side pretty well...

gas mileage sucks, but you're already aware of that... 17mpg... to me, that sucks, but that's part of the price of admission...

car is too quiet stock... sounds like a regular Lancer unless you are under boost all the time... needs a catback something bad...

best bacng for the performance buck avaialable... and NO, the SRT4 is not it... sure it'll run a 14sec 1/4 mile, but it's nowhere near the class of the EVO...
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:49 PM

Thanks Diesel....
yeah, I was thinking the back seat was big enough for most things....

I am not sure how high power cars and snow mix either - I am from So Cal originally.... Sounds kinda fun though : )
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

well, the EVO is a powerful car no doubt, but we're not talking about the traction breaking muscle-car like power in larger displacement engines. The EVO's power comes later on in the band, and certainly not instantaneously.

Thus, if youre gentle, the EVO isn't any different from a 140-150hp AWD car on the road.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by alex_alex
well, the EVO is a powerful car no doubt, but we're not talking about the traction breaking muscle-car like power in larger displacement engines. The EVO's power comes later on in the band, and certainly not instantaneously.

Thus, if youre gentle, the EVO isn't any different from a 140-150hp AWD car on the road.
It really does feel like a 2L engine if you keep it below 3k. I'm a bit worried about how it's going to be in the snow though, because once you get over 3k it really wants to take off, even without a lot of throttle. Fun as hell in the Summer though

Really a great all-purpose car when you want it to be. In fact, the only thing that sucks about it in that regard is the rear seat not folding down, I can't fit my bike in there. But that's not such a big deal, because who the hell wants to stop driving the Evo to ride a bike? The back seat is pretty big though, you could probably stuff alot in there.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'll be surprised at how a good snow tire like a nokian can hookup. its like you are on gravel instead of snow.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 04:24 AM

My GSX was awesome in the snow (the one year it actually saw the winter) so I can only assume the EVO will perform even better...
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

just a suggestion

Originally posted by BigBoogieman
In fact, the only thing that sucks about it in that regard is the rear seat not folding down, I can't fit my bike in there.
http://www.rackwarehouse.com/roof-rack-bicycle.html
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Definatelty going to need a roof rack in the winter for snowboards. Those won't fit in the trunk with all bags, coats, and snowboard wear.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:33 PM

Yeah, I can imagine that it must be pretty good in the winter. I used to own a 98 GSX Eclipse and it was awsome in the snow/ice. My 328I I have now is terrible in the snow....not like it snows too much in Albuquerque though! Pretty much perfect high performance driving weather all year round!
Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

so is the lancer based off of the evo or the other way around. I need to clear this up.