Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

[Problem] R U Smart Enuff? Evo cannot move.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Problem] R U Smart Enuff? Evo cannot move.

Hey guys,

One of the wierdest things just happened to me.

Yesterday, Mellowyellowevo and I went to work on our cars and I changed out my brake pads and gave it an oil change. I happened to strip one of the hub bolts on my front drivers side wheel, but I figured thats not that big of a deal. I drove the car that whole afternoon without any problems.

However, this afternoon when I was about to go to the grocery store to do my weekly run of grub, my Evo wouldn't move. So let me elaborate:

1) Got into the car, let it warm up for 5 mins.

2) Put car in reverse to get out of parking lot.

3) Car goes in reverse approximately 6 inches and stops. (WTF?!?!?)
- Car is in reverse, E-Brake is down, brake light is off, engine runs fine, no weird noises comming from engine.

4) I go outside, make sure there werent no h8terade ***** out there putting wierd crap underneath/in my car or wheels. Check comes up negative. No weird sh*t.

5) Put car in gears 1-5 and R while having cluth engaged. Figured gearbox might be stuck or something. Played with tranny a little bit, tries to put in in 1st and going forward. Stops after 6 inches as if something was stuck underneath the tires.

6) I put it in reverse again, not going higher than 1.5k. Car stops again after 6 inches.

7) Got mad as f*ck. Turned car off, Put car in neutral, E-brake down. Pushes car forward and backward. Same thing car stops after 6 inches forward or reverse. (Take note there is nothing underneath the car or stuck in the wheels, and shouldn't be anything with drivetrain because car still goes 6 inches forward or reverse even though it stops.)

Now, with all the current deductions that I have..........

I am completely ****'ing stumped.

Anyone have any idea WTF is going on with my Evo?

Last edited by AznEvoIX; Apr 12, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your brake pad install again.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's gotta be your rotor and pad on the caliper w/ only 1 bolt, right? That's the likeliest suspect at this point. Now WHAT could be happening I'm not sure...
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

If its a stuck rotor and pad the car wouldn't even move 6 inches right? I can still push it while in neutral?

Man, I'm just gonna wait until daylight and pop out my wheels to take a look.

But I drove this thing for the whole afternoon without any problems.... AGGGHHH!!!! I'M GONNA BURN MY EVO!!!!!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'd pull that wheel off and inspect the rotor, pads, and caliper, just to rule it out. I'm wondering if the caliper could have possibly gotten out of alignment with the rotor since only 1 bolt is taking the load of previous braking.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Wheel spoke may be getting caught on something? Seems like there would be enough distance between a spoke to move the distance you described...maybe have some one look at each of the wheels while you move the car.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Did you strip a wheel lug or a bolt that holds the hub on? If you stripped a wheel lug it may have slipped out of the hub a little and is stuck on something.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
Wheel spoke may be getting caught on something?
+1 Wondering if the non-bolted end of the caliper has moved so it comes in contact with the wheel spoke.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

I rolled out and mine stopped after about 6 inches too...but it was because the place that put on my new rims forgot to put the spacers on and it gouged the new rim on the caliper.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for input guys.

Its light out now, I'm gonna go check it out.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

rev it up and dump the clutch. It should move after that.

J/k. It is something stupid. It has to be. If you still cant see anything jack up one wheel at a time, take off the e-brake and put it in gear. There will be a little resistence (from the diff), but you should be able to rotate each wheel by itself.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Found the problem!

Well, after trying to move the car backways again, not going higher than 1k RPM, I hear a faint pop sound. Low and behold, the culprit.

Above: AAGGGHHHH!!!!111222 I'm gonna burn the Evo!

Above: Thats what popped out.

Above: Another picture.

Above: Took off the wheel and now....

I don't have the right tools to take off the brake assembly and rotors! AGGGHHHH!!!! There goes another 200 bucks for tools......

As of right now I'm waiting for my GF to get back from work so that she can take me to the store and get some tools. Looks like I'm definitely going to need a breaker bar......

Random Picture Time!

Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
If its a stuck rotor and pad the car wouldn't even move 6 inches right? I can still push it while in neutral?

Man, I'm just gonna wait until daylight and pop out my wheels to take a look.

But I drove this thing for the whole afternoon without any problems.... AGGGHHH!!!! I'M GONNA BURN MY EVO!!!!!
You probably did something wrong while changing out the pads and driving for the whole day just make it much worse. Good luck man. Hope you got it fixed.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Just waiting to get the right tools...... *sigh*

The car will be fine running on 3 Lug Nuts right? I still need to get to work. =X

Crap. Anyone have the part number to the hub bolts? (Gonna do a search before I get flamed for *not* using the search option.....) La La La......
*whistles and walks away*
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

And the winner of "guess what's wrong with my car" goes to....

PVD04! Congrats!

Glad you found it AznEvoIX - I've changed lugs before, and if I can do it, anyone can. Agreed, though, you need some special tools, but I've used some odds and ends (old bolt) to hammer out the old stud. The tricky part is pulling the new one in. It's easy if you have the right materials (an open nut that fits the lug, and something to sit on the lug and between the rotor hat and the open nut), but I tried some washers and still had some problems with getting it seated all the way. Good luck.