Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does Ralliart operate a lot like TRD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Ralliart operate a lot like TRD?

My last few cars were Toyotas and after gaining experience with them I got to know how TRD (Toyota Racing Development) operates. TRD has a history of taking off the shelf parts, slapping their name on them, and selling them at a higher cost. For example, their springs are relabeled Eibachs, and their filters are K&N units with the TRD logo on them. People of coarse could buy the same exact springs and filters with out the TRD logos for a fraction of the cost, and a lot of people caught on. This is why a lot of Toyota enthusiasts reguard TRD as a joke of a company. Can the same be said for Ralliart? I'm totally new to Mitsu's and I'm not even sure was Ralliart offers.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

no i belive ralliart parts are acually quite good (well i guess it depends on what parts your talking about)
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

i know their struts were rebadged KYB, and their drop in filters are either K&Ns rebadged or clones. They do have some original parts though, like radiator mounts, suction kits, ETC.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

TRD may use eibach springs but they are manufactured to TRD's spring rates. In particular TRD Japan products are probably the best engineered OEM parts. They blend a perfect balance of reliability and extra performance.

Ralli Art products are great but they are primarily intended for Group N and A rallying. Not so much for road racing or street use.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by defeated26
i know their struts were rebadged KYB, and their drop in filters are either K&Ns rebadged or clones. They do have some original parts though, like radiator mounts, suction kits, ETC.
Almost EVERYONE uses K&N filters
Old Aug 6, 2003, 11:19 PM

There are TWO different TRD's, TRD USA (the joke) and TRD Japan, also known as Toyota Technocraft (http://www.toyota-ttc.co.jp/top.html).

Following Toyota's JIT (just in time) philosophy, TRD USA is pretty much forced to use local vendors in the U.S. to build their parts so they don't tie money up in inventory. Borla makes the exhaust, AEM made the cam gears, etc.

TRD Japan has very high quality parts and manufactures a lot of their own stuff as do other Japan factory tuners like Ralliart and Mugen.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:54 PM

I meant TRD USA. My concern is that when Ralliart USA(or whatever they will call it) goes into full swing, it will be just like TRD USA.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Ralliart designs most of their products from strut bars to brake lines. However, even though they design their own products, they sent these products out to well known companies and have these companies produce the items according to Ralliart specs. For example, Ralliart wheels are actually either Enkeis or Volks. These two companies all make wheels for Ralliart.

(Uncle works for Ralliart in Japan. FREE PARTS!)
Old Aug 8, 2003, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Correct. Just like RAYS and Gram Lights and Volk make wheels for eachother
Old Aug 9, 2003, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't the Ralliart panel filter made by Pipercross, or at least using a Pipercross element?
Old Aug 9, 2003, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

You are paying for products that are rebadged - but the overhead cost you are paying for is the supposed "hassle-free" issues and your warranty not being voided by their parts. So, depending on your situation, using Ralliart products is much better then aftermarket based on individual needs.