Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mods? Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods? Advice please.

Hi everyone,
I am looking for your opinions based upon your own experiences. I have owned 2 evo’s and an Sti and now have finally decided to mod my IXmr. The car has 18K miles and is running perfect and is completely stock. I will take the car to a local tuner shop. I am not mechanically inclined, so I want to do a modification that is “set it and forget it”. I don’t plan on doing any further mods and need something that I can forget about like the car was stock.
I have budget of $3000 and wanted your opinions on different setups. I know I can go with a meth kit or even a green. Or maybe just a tbe with a flash and some race gas? How about the AP? Is it worth it? It seems simple.
I am not a noobie, nor do I need to search. Been there, done that. I want honest opinions from people that have experienced good mods and bad ones. Your experience is what I am looking for.
Any and all opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on what you are looking for there are a ton of routes that you can go with $3k. To start go with TBE, UICP, LICP, MBC, reflash. Then keep the extra $ and save for the new clutch your going to need
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
offtopic: i've had 03 350z stock, 04 evo8 stock, 05 evo8 catback, 06 sti drop in filter tbe ap stage 2 flash very nice setup....ontopic: now i have 06 evo 9 mr se stock with just over 13k miles and i want to mod now also but after reading alot about the 4th gear problem i really dont know but i think i'm going to mod anyway my plan was tbe,walbro 255,drop in, ic upper lower and front mount then i was going drive to ivery and get it tune all this would be well under 3k dont know if this would help you but i think you would be very happy with this setup

offtopic: do you guys think that my 6 speed would be ok with these mods? i will not be tracking the car at all just for the street!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Depends on what you are looking for there are a ton of routes that you can go with $3k. To start go with TBE, UICP, LICP, MBC, reflash. Then keep the extra $ and save for the new clutch your going to need
i didnt see your post before do you think its worth getting mbc with the mods i posted??
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

go TBE, LICP, UICP, intake, MBC, maybe a bigger front mount, meth and some cams haha and of course a tune
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
i didnt see your post before do you think its worth getting mbc with the mods i posted??
Yes absolutely and youll be safe with the tranny dont worry about it. I have alot done and my tuner drove my car and was stunned at how well the tranny felt. I dont track it or beat the crap out of it although I do drive it quick most times.

Mods are

Exedy Twin HD
AMS FMIC
Injen LICP, Fujita UICP and filter
Forge MBC set to 25 psi
Walbro 255
HKS DP
Invida TP
HKS Carbon TiC exhaust

I'm somewhere in the vacinity of 360 whp and I have had only slight clutch adjustment problems which were fixed by 4WS this weekend. Since your not tracking it you will be fine. The MR tranny has cooling issues and thats it from tracking it.

Last edited by 06MRV8Killer; Apr 14, 2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Forgot to answer your question, yes get the MBC it is totally worth it so that you can tune it properly to get the most out of your mods.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Best bang for your buck...on a budget:
- MBC
- Tune

Your car will sound and look stock, but it'll be quick!

Best overall bolt-on "stage 1" IMO:
- 3" TBE with test pipe $700
- MBC (Forge or Hallman) $80
- Intake filter or panel filter $50-100
- LICP $100-200
- O2 Housing (O2 dumps for stock turbo are coming soon) $150
- Tune $200-300

~330-340 WHP Dynojet

If you want more, go with cams.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

ok thank you v8killer
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

ok thank you v8killer
NP, but seriously plan on getting a new clutch in a short whilel once you start putting that kind of power down. I had to replace mine within 3k of getting tuned
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

My advised to you, do it right the first time. Get a plan and a budget and then of course price compare everything and be prepared to change your plan but keep with in the budget, the last thing you wanna do is throw money away and that can happen very easily! I actually planned for 6 months and the plan actually changed 3 or 4 times before I finally settled. Even after it was completed I had weak links in the setup that had to be addressed, but most importantly get a tuner that you can trust! I wont take my car anywhere else. Good Luck

One last tip, no matter what you do or how much it's gonna kill you to not do it... Don't tune until your finished. It's so easy to get in the tune for this and tune for that bug, don't do it. Do it once and do it right, be patient.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tatsuIX
My advised to you, do it right the first time. Get a plan and a budget and then of course price compare everything and be prepared to change your plan but keep with in the budget, the last thing you wanna do is throw money away and that can happen very easily! I actually planned for 6 months and the plan actually changed 3 or 4 times before I finally settled. Even after it was completed I had weak links in the setup that had to be addressed, but most importantly get a tuner that you can trust! I wont take my car anywhere else. Good Luck

One last tip, no matter what you do or how much it's gonna kill you to not do it... Don't tune until your finished. It's so easy to get in the tune for this and tune for that bug, don't do it. Do it once and do it right, be patient.
This guy has some good advice!!

I saved up money while I was getting comfortable with the car. 1.5 years later, I put the first mods on. Also during that time, I did all my "homework" on mods, checked out shops, talked with other Evo guys and planned out my whole course for my mods. I had a budget and very specific power goals. Given, I'll exceed my power goals, but it is just something to strive for. I made a few minor changes, but it is pretty much the same mod list I had a few months back.

I have even started brain storming my own "stage 2" mod list for the summer when I have some more money. (Cams, FMIC, O2 dump, etc.) But the most important thing is HAVE FUN with it. Whenever I finish installing something, there is a great sense of satisfaction in the difference in performance and in completing something on my list. I love it!!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tatsuIX

^ Best advice so far.

If I had an Evo IX and wanted the most bang for the buck, I'd research:
- TBE (SS auto on ebay, used 3", or whatever else is cheap)
- FP Green with 680cc injectors
- AP if you want dual maps, otherwise go with a flash
- custom tune ... you should not need an MBC. The stock ECU is perfectly capable of controlling boost. If your tuner tells you otherwise, find a better tuner. The only thing you may want to look into is going with a GM BCS if you and your tuner are comfortable setting one up. It will hold boost better than the stock boost control solenoid.

if you have money left over, look into:
- O2 housing
- FMIC (AMS or Buschur, don't waste your time on ebay stuff here)

l8r)
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=330085