Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2003, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well from my prospective... it looks like the Works flash is very safe.. probably safer than needs to be.. and does exactly what Works has promised. Approx 30 max hp increase.... rev limit increased.. and better air to fuel ratio. I was told that optimal should be around 12 the curve should be flat. 10 and below is too much Fuel not enough air. So 11.5 would actually be safer ratio.. and could be to accomodate for the differences from 1 evo to another. They basically said my stock evo is choking on too much gas
Old Aug 15, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool, thanks for the graph TomsSound, Sir Lurks Alot.

To me it seems that the Works flash is running a safer A/F in the lower rpm band than the stock ecu. Which makes more sense to me since this is where the 19psi spike occurs in the power band.

And in the upper band it's still pretty rich. Seems like a good deal to me.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Looks pretty nice Can't wait to see the Reflash with boost control now!!!
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Nice to see Evo enthusiasts getting out there and doing some testing on their own.

Just because we won't post AF/R info, doesn't mean our customers aren't free to do so.

Have fun!

-- DavidV
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

still sketchy in my book, but oh well
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Boosted

-- DavidV
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Boosted
Don't sweat it David, you can't please all the people all the time, only some of the people some of the time. I can't wait to get my reflash from Works, it's taking every bit of patience to try and hold out for the reflash with boost levels adjusted
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

I really like what I see from the a/f and power curves. This is just what I need!! my current car even with the catalytic converters on gives out a really nasty smell at idle (burning too rich) and a lot of black smoke at high rpm (too rich again). I'll give you a call sometime tomorrow David.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

So looks like the Works reflash + straight pipe gained 28-30 HP max and the Vishnu Xede + exhaust gained ~38-40 HP. Both on 93 Octane. Guess Vishnu wins...
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:41 PM

Different Dyno, Different day. Compare them on the same car / same dyno and it will actually mean something. Now get to the basics..

Works = 850?
Vishnu = 1675?

Get a life heff, stop trolling.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Sweft
Different Dyno, Different day. Compare them on the same car / same dyno and it will actually mean something. Now get to the basics..

Works = 850?
Vishnu = 1675?

Get a life heff, stop trolling.
Dammit! You beat me to this post!

Really though, my sentiments EXACTLY
Old Aug 16, 2003, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Shiv from Vishnu Performance dyno tuned a few EVO's at altered Atmosphere...

Here is the link:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=24551
Old Aug 16, 2003, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by modvp
Shiv from Vishnu Performance dyno tuned a few EVO's at altered Atmosphere...

Here is the link:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=24551
Thanks for the link, I missed that thread altogether. Looks like it was a good time and some good test results. Of particular interest is dyno run #7 which is a proper run on a stock car for baseline then another after being modified with an XEDE.

Now using that example it would be easy to run this into the ground as a 16whp and 2ft lb of tq gain is pretty minimal for an $800 + XEDE box. Although this is how a dyno test comparison should be done on the same car, I have to believe that adaptation is possibly a factor here? It just seems like the delta in power is so small, it can't be right?

Now back on topic for the Works re-flash data!

First I have to say thanks to Sir Lurks alot for posting this info. As a Works 93 octane reflash owner, I have been wondering about the A/F for some time. Unfortunately we don't have an AWD dyno in the area yet. The A/F ratios look excellent to me, and are actually safer than I anticipated. I actually thought we might be seeing mid-high 12's(not talking 1/4 mile times either)which would put it closer to the edge.

By comparison guys running an SAFC w/MBC are running in the 11.5-12 range depending on available fuel. It would be interesting to throw a third overlay on that chart to show the same car with an MBC set for say 19 psi. I think thats part of the reason the SAFC guys see pretty impressive numbers is because of the MBC/EBC factor.

Well this will be food for thought for another day, as now we know there is some room to play.Good work David/Works !

N10S

Last edited by N10S; Aug 16, 2003 at 04:26 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 04:40 AM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TomsSound
well from my prospective... it looks like the Works flash is very safe.. probably safer than needs to be.. and does exactly what Works has promised. Approx 30 max hp increase.... rev limit increased.. and better air to fuel ratio. I was told that optimal should be around 12 the curve should be flat. 10 and below is too much Fuel not enough air. So 11.5 would actually be safer ratio.. and could be to accomodate for the differences from 1 evo to another. They basically said my stock evo is choking on too much gas
AFRs look fine and IMO pose absolutely no reason for safety concerns. Thanks for posting.

Use the comparison only to comapre the AFR from a Work's Brain reflash to the AFR of a stock ECU.

Do not try and draw any conclusions about 30 max HP performance increases here because measurements were made on different cars. I have seen over 20 HP variances between cars in both stock trim and ones with the exact same mods measured on the same day on the same dyno.

Conclusions about performance increases from the Brain reflash based on this particular graph are useless.

238 max HP on the Work's Brain/muffler delete equipped car may or may not be a reasonable increase. Can't tell without before and after measurements taken from the same car under the same circumstances. My first run for stock baseline on the same dyno was 240.4HP and 251.3 TQ. I'm not trying to compare my baseline with the Works mods (different day, different atmospherics, different car) but just make the point you cannot compare results from different cars.

AFR graphs without HP plot would help prevent the inevitable comparisons that will be made here.

Back to the point, AFR from Work's Brain reflash looks just fine.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Use the comparison only to comapre the AFR from a Work's Brain reflash to the AFR of a stock ECU.
Do not try and draw any conclusions about 30 max HP performance increases here because measurements were made on different cars. I have seen over 20 HP variances between cars in both stock trim and ones with the exact same mods measured on the same day on the same dyno.

Conclusions about performance increases from the Brain reflash based on this particular graph are useless.

jfh- I agree 100% with your comments. If we had a baseline of sir lurks alots Evo in stock trim, we would have the "rest" of the story. As it is the A/F ratio info stands alone and is definitely sound information!

Quick Reply: Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon