Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2003, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works brain dyno with a/f Here! page 4

Go to page four of this thread for the goods!

I’m tired of wondering about this, so I made an appointment with Altered Atmosphere (www.alteredatmosphere.com/) in Maryland for next Friday the 15th.

I will post the results that day for all to see. I can’t believe this hasn’t been posted yet, so I will settle the controversy. This will be the 93 octane map that everyone wants to see.

I will dyno a stock evo with 1000 miles on it and I will dyno an evo with 6000 miles and the 93 octane brain flash. Then I will remove the muffler and add a delete pipe and make some more runs on the WORKS equipped car.

The runs will be on a AWD dynojet with a wideband.

They will not be able to map the boost curve unfortunately? I don’t know what is required to do that but I guess they can’t. And I don’t have a boost gauge, but maybe I can borrow one for a day.

BTW, I love the works brain flash! It makes the car so much more fun to drive. I just can’t recommend it to anybody with all this drama going on. I can tell you that when my buddy drove my car, I could see carbon coming out the tailpipe when he got on it. Don’t know what rpm’s that was. I have yet to hear it ping, even when driving on the track in 110 degree weather. Sometimes, it does feel like it may be pulling the timing at about 5k, but it seems like the EVO is so inconsistent from run to run it is hard to tell. I just can’t wait for WORKS to get their boost control function perfected.

Last edited by sir lurks alot; Aug 16, 2003 at 04:52 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

what controversy are you referring to? I was going to send my ecu out today for the exhale program (I have the UR 3" TB) but after reading this you are making me nervous.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon

Originally posted by sir lurks alot
I will dyno a stock evo with 1000 miles on it and I will dyno an evo with 6000 miles and the 93 octane brain flash.
To make this a worthwhile comparison you would need to compare the works ecu vs what each individual car is stock. Why not run both cars with the stock ecu (from the 1,000 mile car) and then run both cars with the works ecu (from your car). Recall that different evos put out diff hp numbers stock.

This way its apples to apples and you'll have two results, which would provide more accuracy.

Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon

Originally posted by 954DRGSR

To make this a worthwhile comparison you would need to compare the works ecu vs what each individual car is stock. Why not run both cars with the stock ecu (from the 1,000 mile car) and then run both cars with the works ecu (from your car). Recall that different evos put out diff hp numbers stock.

This way its apples to apples and you'll have two results, which would provide more accuracy.

At least red apples to slightly one shade darker red apples anyways. But good point. It's very easy to drop out that ECU as you probably already know.
What about relearning time? Should the car be driven around the block first before dyno'ing with a new ECU?
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 954DRGSR

The ecu has programming in it that prevents it from being used in another car. I think it is the security from the key that will prevent it. If you swapped the ignition switch in the cars with the ecu it would work, but that is too much work for me. I will still get the pretty reliable results from this test. Not perfect, but we will at least know how safe the tune is.

Last edited by sir lurks alot; Aug 6, 2003 at 06:48 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SuperchargedGTZ
what controversy are you referring to? I was going to send my ecu out today for the exhale program (I have the UR 3" TB) but after reading this you are making me nervous.
There is debate on why WORKS refuses to present the public with a/f ratios. People from other camps think that it is because the car runs lean up top and WORKS doesn't want anybody to know that is how they are making the power. I personally don't believe this to be the case, but I want this debate to be over with. I will post the results good or bad.

This isn't going to be a perfectly sterile comparison, but it is the best we have for now. At least we will know what WORKS is all about.

Last edited by sir lurks alot; Aug 6, 2003 at 06:49 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

There is debate on why WORKS refuses to present the public with a/f ratios. People from other camps think that it is because the car runs lean up top and WORKS doesn't want anybody to know that is how they are making the power. I personally don't believe this to be the case, but I want this debate to be over with. I will post the results good or bad.

This isn't going to be a perfectly sterile comparison, but it is the best we have for now. At least we will know what WORKS is all about.
Very shaddy if you ask me. Why would they not post there A/Fs?? Somthing to hide?

Eric
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon

I’m tired of wondering about this, so I made an appointment with Altered Atmosphere (www.alteredatmosphere.com/) in Maryland for next Friday the 18th.....
Do you mean next Friday the 15th August? What time will you be there?
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

This the is main reason why I chose not to purchase the ECU flash yet. I give credit to some of you guys out there who took the chance and I look forward to seeing the results.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by modvp

Do you mean next Friday the 15th August? What time will you be there?
Sorry, yes the 15th next Friday. I'll be there at 9:00 when they open. Please, anybody that wants to witness it come on over. East Coast represent!

Also, I believe this is where MachV does their EVO tuning.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon

The ecu has programming in it that prevents it from being used in another car. I think it is the security from the key that will prevent it. If you swapped the ignition switch in the cars with the ecu it would work, but that is too much work for me. I will still get the pretty reliable results from this test. Not perfect, but we will at least know how safe the tune is.
Are you serious? That sucks. I've never heard of a car that didn't allow you to swap ECU's.

DSM'ers would be in tough shape. We swap ECU's like Honda's swap engines.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon

Do you know anyone that has tried it? I think it'll work. I just checked the tech manual and it's the Immobilizer ECU that communicates with the Key and not the ECM(ECU).

54A-6
1. After the ignition is switched on, the engine control module sends a control signal and transponder read command to signal to the immobilizer ECU.
2. When the immobilizer ECU receives the control signal from the engine control module through the key ring antenna, the immobilizer ECU supplies a current and sends random number data to the transponder in the ignition key.
3. The transponder uses the random number data to derive an ID code, which is sent to the immobilizer ECU through the key ring antenna.
4. The immobilizer ECU compares the ID code that was sent with pre-reistered ID codes, and if it matches, a control signal approving ignition is sent to the engine control module ECM. If the ID code does not match (in the case of counterfeit ignition keys, for example), the immobilizer ECU sends a control signal denying ignition to the engine control module, preventing the engine from starting."

From looking at the chart in the manual, it appears the "immobilizer ECU" and the ECM are two seperate things.

But the manual does say something about having to Re-registering the ignition key...so maybe you're right. Darn. I just went full circle on myself.

Last edited by mayhem; Aug 6, 2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think it matters if Works wants you to or doesn't want you to... You can do whatever you want...i think.

I would like to see it.... I don't see any reason for a comparision... just the knowledge that if it is running too lean then in time you may have problems.....

If you run lower octane gas in the car, then were fairly hard on it, would result in problems? or is the ECU smart enough to adjust?... assuming it runs too lean up top.?
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon

Originally posted by mayhem

Do you know anyone that has tried it? I think it'll work.
Dave at WORKS says it won't work, but I will try it anyway. Maybe tonight I will swap them. You never know until you see for yourself right

Quick Reply: Works brain dyno with a/f coming soon