Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anyone blown their aftermarket Lower Intercooler Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone blown their aftermarket Lower Intercooler Pipe?

Have anyone blown their aftermarket Lower Intercooler Pipe? If so what brand and boost level were you using when it blow out of the intercooler?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, a couple times. My boost controller was set to spike around 23#. I didn't make it to that though before it blew. That was with the stock hose and clamps. I upgraded the hoses and got some t-bolts and it hasn't blown since.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

My freinds Injen's blew off all the time. He used hairspray and T-bolts with new couplers from another company, 23psi.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK. It looks like it is important to have the supporting brackets that the OEM LICP has in order to keep the pipe in place. That is one of the reasons I have not changed mine (I still have the OEM). I was just poking to see if it is a common failure mode. I am planning to run 23 PSI and using an aftermarket LICP without a bracket might be an issue. Most of the aftermarket ones made of aluminum do not have the support bracket.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an injen one that actually cracked. I had to get it rewelded and no probs since
Old Apr 15, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I have the PPI licp with no support bracket and it hasn't blown off. I run 23 psi as well.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 06:47 AM
Former Vendor

As long as you have the proper silicon flew joints a bracket for a aftermarket l.i.p isnt needed. Just good clamps.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I also have an Injen LICP. It hasn't blown off at the LICP but the UICP came off once bc I had the clamp that came with it. Now I have T-Bolt so it hasn't come off yet but I'm still boosting with stock. On its way will be the Hallman cabin installed MBC, AEM WB O2, Swoosh boost gauge and oil temp gauge. I'll see if it'll blow or come off this time after I get it installed and tuned by 4WS.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Popped my Buschur LICP off. Boosting 22psi on a dyno.

Replaced all the clamps with t-clamps, no problems since. Been on 23psi without any problems.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

I blew my Injen off 3 times in one week. 1st time the coupling was too short and the guy who installed it the first time didnt mention anything about it (jack***).

2nd time I didnt clean off the ends of the pipe and the oil/or whatever was on it probably helped it pop off.

3rd time got Fujita T-Bolts doubled up on each side and havent had any problems since.

I just upgraded to a AMS FMIC this past weekend and a new tune to handle more boost and everything is fine.

Key to preventing this is what everyone has said.

1. Clean the ends of the pipes with alchol, and the couplers as well.
2. Make sure the pipe is beaded at the end to help it stay on and make sure the clamp is behind the bead.
3. Use T-Bolts and dont be affraid to put them on tight its pretty hard to bend the pipes unless the T-Bolt you are using is too small then it might happen.
4. Double up on the T-Bolts just to make sure nothing pops off.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:27 AM

i also have the injen and it used to blow off all the time blew off 4 times in one night that was at 24 psi. looking to get a ets licp soon.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8fate
i also have the injen and it used to blow off all the time blew off 4 times in one night that was at 24 psi. looking to get a ets licp soon.
4 times in one night! You took off your bumper 4 different times and still couldnt fix it? There is something wrong with the reinstall.... just IMO
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8fate
yeah, i'm definitely gonna go that route. looks like no one really has any problems about ANY ETS product.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ernald711
yeah, i'm definitely gonna go that route. looks like no one really has any problems about ANY ETS product.
The reality is that if it is installed correctly the first time the it shouldnt happen unless you overboost or something nuts happens.

Hence my previous post. The original install was a botched job and it held for a while but eventually blew. If I did the install the first time I wouldnt have used such a short coupling. Now that it is hooked up correctly it doesnt have any problems and when in 6th gear I get a spike of about 26-27psi and tapering off it still wont blow off. Just my .02 cents.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never blown my stockers + t-bolts out @26psi

Quick Reply: anyone blown their aftermarket Lower Intercooler Pipe?