Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution VIII Import Petition Comment Period Extended

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2003, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember ferrari sticking their neck out and saying that the Euro 360 Modena was not up to USA Snuff......I'll bet that made the European people happy that they got a "less safe" version.

I personally don't see why Mitsu would give a **** if 100 European (they have to be LHD) Evo VIII's made it to america each year..... they made their profit on the car when it was sold in Europe (or whereever). They should just not offer any warranty on it if it gets imported........

Unless there is a substantially different structure...but that would almost require different tooling, manuf process, etc..... so I doubt it.

What about Emissions on the NON USA EVO VIII's??? think that is an issue? Remember the big deal about the Vapor Canister or something like that???
Old Aug 6, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Just remembered some other news about this petition - it has already attracted comments from "Anonymous" which were received on the previous comment period closing date, July 30, 2003. The entire docket can be found at http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchResu...berValue=15470 and Anonymous' comments (which appear to be a distillation of issues discussed here in the previous two threads I cited at the top of this thread) can be read at page http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf87/249896_web.pdf.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 04:17 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info Info. Let us know when Mitsubishi's official response gets put up.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 04:34 PM

oops, i meant RHD, anyway nobody really answered the question, so i guess it's a moot point. the only difference i know of btwn the Skyline GT-S and GT-R is that the GT-S is RWD and the GT-R is AWD, same powerplant and power though (big time weight and handling difference), there are some minor badge and body kit differences too. I drove some cool cars in Japan and the EVO6 and R33 GT-R were the most fun. (esp when some crazy japanese airmen mods the s**t out of em!)
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

GTR and GT-S have different powerplants. GT-S uses a 2.5 turbo i believe, while the GTR uses the 2.6 turbo.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:31 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GTR - RB26DETT
GTS25t - RB25DET
GTS4 and GTS25 - RB25DE
GTS - RB20E

2.0 DOHC single turbo for GTS
2.6 DOHC Twin turbo for GTR

I guess they have GTS 2wd, 4wd turbo and non turbo engines.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

is probably trying to kill the petition, to import non-US-spec 2003 Evolution VIII LHD cars into the US, because they may be trying to bring a similar version to the US for sale some time in the future.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by modvp
is probably trying to kill the petition, to import non-US-spec 2003 Evolution VIII LHD cars into the US, because they may be trying to bring a similar version to the US for sale some time in the future.
I'll go out on a limb and agree with you that MMSA might try to sell a version of the 2003 Evo VIII in the US.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Seņor Info
I'll go out on a limb and agree with you that MMSA might try to sell a version of the 2003 Evo VIII in the US.
He's talking about a model with acd 300 hp and maybee ayc, and maybee badged as an rs or grs or gts or whatever, and a few thousand more than the current E8.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RaX
Thanks for the info Info. Let us know when Mitsubishi's official response gets put up.
Mitsubishi's comments are now available for perusal at http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf87/250927_web.pdf. The bottom line, literally, is: "... Mitsubishi respectfully requests that the agency deny the petition."
Old Aug 7, 2003, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Dear Jon S. (Senior Info),

unlike what you have written in your NHTSA comment, MMSA has not made a comment about Evo VIIIs being non-LHD, leading to believe they are not too concerned about this issue.
My .02.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 02:13 PM
Account Disabled

hey WRC4ever

i see you found out who the person is
Old Aug 7, 2003, 02:45 PM

any update of the evo 7 imports from evo imports?
Old Aug 7, 2003, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

any update of the evo 7 imports from evo imports?
Still not legal. No one knows when or IF they ever will be. Adam or whatever his name is from E.I. tells everyone a timeframe and then extends it once that period is reached. I don't know how many times since last year...like Oct.'02..I've heard "it will be only two more weeks", or, "it'll be legal by xxxx"
Remember, some people have been paying for their non legal Evo since April '02 and still don't have anything to show for it.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

but did you read that letter from Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP?

It basically says that G&K missed all kinds of stuff and asks that the request be denied........ that can't help on getting an Evo VII in if they cannot even get an Evo VIII legal!!!

You guys should have a demolition derby with your Evo VII's since they aren't worth anything anyway

Originally posted by WRC4ever
Dear Jon S. (Senior Info),

unlike what you have written in your NHTSA comment, MMSA has not made a comment about Evo VIIIs being non-LHD, leading to believe they are not too concerned about this issue.
My .02.
That letter sort of rips G&K a new one..... seat belts, window regulators, ecu adjustments, dash material, headliner material, side protection bars, etc...........

Last edited by Scot; Aug 7, 2003 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Evolution VIII Import Petition Comment Period Extended